Renting

If it is not related to breastfeeding or parenting, discuss it here!

Renting

Postby JennyD » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:32 pm

The big kids are both heading to Perth for 2017. They will be renting, we don't have much experience with renting. Are we better off just going with an agent, or is private rental a reasonable thing? The Uni has a private rental listing on the website, but it is buyer beware. What are your thoughts, Oh brainstrust?
Thanks
JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Renting

Postby Jenbt85 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm

We have always gone through a real estate agent. I don't know if it is competitive to get property in Perth, but it can be in Melbourne and can take longer to get a place than expected.

I have never rented privately, but had a friend that did and had a great relationship with his landlord. He had no lease arrangement in place, so they were both lucky that it worked.

While I have only had one property manager that I would describe as competent, I would always rent through a real estate agent. It feels like there is a safety net both ways. We had issues with a Brisbane real estate agent when we moved down to Melbourne. We were responsible to pay the rent until they found someone else to rent it. They did *nothing* to advertise the property and we were paying two lots of rent. We took them to court (via the Tenants Authority, free) and were refunded all of the money.

If repairs need to be made on the house / the hot water goes etc then they're contactable.

I don't like the fact they take photos during the annual house inspection. It depends on how pedantic your property manager is as to what experience you have. I've never had to do more than a standard house clean but I've heard of people being pulled up for not cleaning the exhaust fan or the oven etc. Our property managers have not really cared (my house is clean and tidy, but I have never cleaned the exhaust fan) and it has been pretty straight forward.

Be really thorough with the condition report when you move in so that you don't get charged for any un-noted damage.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm

I used to be a Senior Property Manager and there is a level of safety going through a real estate in regard to the laws being followed I haven't really found private rentals being any cheaper than through a Real Estate

If you have any real estate questions about Renting happy to help the information I know is for Qld and there may be some small changes to my knowledge as I haven't worked as a PM for the last 11 years and laws sometimes do change slightly but from what I know the laws are pretty much the same as when I was working
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths
Baby Blue Eyes

Postby Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Jenbt85 wrote:
I don't like the fact they take photos during the annual house inspection. It depends on how pedantic your property manager is as to what experience you have. I've never had to do more than a standard house clean but I've heard of people being pulled up for not cleaning the exhaust fan or the oven etc. Our property managers have not really cared (my house is clean and tidy, but I have never cleaned the exhaust fan) and it has been pretty straight forward.

I most likely would have pulled you up for the exhaust fan :lol:
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths
Baby Blue Eyes

Postby Mummy woo! » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Jenny, your local consumer services organisation (fair trading in NSW) will have lots of info on their website. I'd be a bit wary of a private rental, but if you follow the fair trading advice about things like ensuring the bond is lodged properly that will go a long way to reducing the risks.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Jenbt85 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:12 am

Baby Blue Eyes wrote:
Jenbt85 wrote:

I most likely would have pulled you up for the exhaust fan :lol:

Rolls eyes :D
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to Everything else!