Nutritional value

If it is not related to breastfeeding or parenting, discuss it here!
AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Nutritional value

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:08 pm

How much nutritional value is there in a bowl of basmati rice?

DH hasn't been paid again...we have no dollars for shopping as he only got paid $150 last week for the week and has had to work extra days this week....so about $100 has gone on fuel for his car and my car (so I could get the kids to fdc, preschool. School) $20 for fdc.... left us with $30 for food for the week including things for kids lunches for school etc.
All we have left is rice or pasta. I am dairy, soy, egg and wheat free.

I'm so annoyed. His boss has gone off for a shooting weekend but it also means that DH won't be paid until either tomorrow (if he is lucky) or weds...although DH is meant to be working on weds but if he isn't paid he won't be able to travel the 120kms each way to get there.

The boss I know has been doing dodgy stuff which I won't get into.....but I can gather he would be paying himself even when he isn't there....it seems he only thinks about himself and having money and not the consequences of him not paying DH on time.....it's bad enough he cut his hours from 3 days a week down to 1 day a week...and gets DH to work more when he wants to go off shooting....but he doesn't think that when DH has only worked the 1 day the week before that there is an immense struggle for us as a family when he gets DH to work 3-4 days the week after. It sucks!

And I am not having any luck finding work myself because of my age and because I have been out of work since early 2011 and because I can't provide referees here in Australia. :(
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Esther

Re: Nutritional value

Post by Esther » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Huge hugs Lu. That is unbelieveably revolting behaviour from DH's boss. I'm so sorry to hear that you're in this sucky situation.

I was just thinking in terms of jobs for you. Don't forget you have all your ABA contacts now! There are people who would be your referee in a heart beat on here and elsewhere I'm sure.

Going to PM you too xo
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks Esther
DD1/2011 - FF

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Hugs ABL! I agree with Esther, your training and volunteering is important work experience. Also wondering if you could get written references from overseas referees? In the past I've emailed overseas ref's and asked them to send answers to the questions I'd want to ask them.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:34 pm

The thing is I am not sure what I could get from my uk referees. I worked in a London airport for almost 8yrs....leaving the job a week before I moved to Australia. I wouldn't know what they would need to write
DD1/2011 - FF

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:54 pm

AussieBritLu wrote:The thing is I am not sure what I could get from my uk referees. I worked in a London airport for almost 8yrs....leaving the job a week before I moved to Australia. I wouldn't know what they would need to write
Could an ex manager write a letter, outlining how long you worked there, that you were a valuable employee (punctual, reliable adaptable, friendly, good customer service) and that they wouldn't hesitate to employ you if the opportunity arose in the future? Or words to that effect? With an email contact if further info is needed.

I hope the cash situation resolves, that sounds like really awful work situationfor your DH. ..

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:33 pm

DH has been paid....doesn't help so much for tonight but that's ok. Kids have been fed and that's all that matters to me.

My referee is actually a friend who I worked with as she is now a shift supervisor as none of the managers who are there worked there when I did....but I guess I could get her to do something along those lines....thanks :)
DD1/2011 - FF

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Lu, I have provided a reference for the group treasurer when I was the group leader - for entry level jobs employers mostly need to know you aren't a nutter and can play well with others.

If you are having trouble getting paid it is probably worth checking your DH's super is being paid, and maybe also that he has the right workers comp insurance etc - those are often the first to go when a business has cash flow issues. You could call the fair work commission for more advice.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info Mummy woo!
DD1/2011 - FF

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

So the bosses wife is in hospital and has asked DH if he can work the rest of the week..great in a sense that DH now has extra days but pita because I needed him home tomorrow as I have a meeting with ds's preschool to talk about his biting and spitting...now I will have all 3 kids. It's also a half day tomorrow because of Jacaranda. Think of the money.....think of the money.
DD1/2011 - FF

mummymanda

Post by mummymanda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm

I would be giving fair work australia a call. A friend of DH worked for the same family business for 17 years pay was not regular and they only paid about a years worth of super. The business went belly up he got nothing for it no super, entitlements, redundancy. So worth checking.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks mummymanda
DD1/2011 - FF

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:37 am

ABL, that is .. I don't even have words for how horrible. Near where I live there is an organisation that has a food bank for just the kind of situation you and the family are in. They have shelves of groceries for people to choose from and they also have people who can help you to access services, like Fair Work, or Centrelink or financial counsellors (which it doesn't sound like you need). They can also help with speaking to utility companies and refer you to job search agencies, that sort of thing. Is here anything like that near you? Maybe the Salvos?
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Not that I am aware BiN. But thanks.
DD1/2011 - FF

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:59 pm

AussieBritLu wrote:Not that I am aware BiN. But thanks.
Are you still in the same area north of a major nsw centre, ABL? A friend of mine accessed a foodbank there a while back - it was in the main centre, though, so travel might be involved, but my friend said it was a huge help in getting he family over a financial bump in the road.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13