Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Discuss general parenting issues here.
Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 pm

giggles it is hard the pooing in the pants and so yuck to clean up :smt078

I have found the poo dance really worked and now we also do maybe 25% in the toilet :-D and rarely any accidents

I also found that if I tell Toby - Toby we are going swimming, playgroup whatever can you please do a poo in your potty/toilet so we can get dressed to go. We have no accidents out and about and it is just a part of his routine of getting dressed.

The last time Toby did a poo in his pants he kept saying sorry sorry sorry over and over which I was surprised as I have never gotten angry at accidents all I ever say is that is ok next time we will do a poo in the toilet/potty.
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

kwick

Post by kwick » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Baby Blue Eyes wrote:I might have to look into that 3day course with ds2. Any tips on how it works?
Sorry, BBE, only just saw this.

You basically have to pay attention to your LO 100% of the time to get to know their "signals" & as soon as you see one of these signals, whisk them away to the toilet. It teaches them to link that "I need to wee/poo" feeling with going to the toilet. I found it hard to pay attention to DD 100% of the time, for a number of reasons (looking after DS, my short attention span & my forum addiction :-D ), so it didn't work in the 3 days for us. Although, I would now say that she's toilet trained, even though she does still have an accident every few days.

HTH
Kim xx
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Giggles
Counsellor

Post by Giggles » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 am

ok we still have accidents here..some days are really good other days are really bad...HELP...although now we are starting to get some poos on the potty at least! i know she gets distracted but really! i'm getting frustrated by it all! any advice? :?

stork..stork..stork...

Jane1973

Post by Jane1973 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:31 pm

I've just started popping DS 10 months in the potty chair once a day (usually while the bath is filling). Just to get him used to the idea:) We make a big fuss if he manages to do anything while there :P I don't think he knows WHY Mum and Dad are giving so much praise, but it's all good practise I'm sure.

supermumoftwo

Post by supermumoftwo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:10 pm

I have an 5 yr old Autistic son who still isn't toilet trained, is there any ideas around they may help !!! SOS 3yrs later toileting is still a huge issue ...

supermumoftwo
DS1 Connor Alexander Riley - 11/11/2004
DS2 Cooper Benjamin James - 14/01/2007

melanie&ellie

Post by melanie&ellie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I have been attempting to train Finn (nearly 2 1/2) for a little while now. Originally he was telling me when he was going to wee or poo and we managed to catch quite a few wees and a couple of poos but things have gone backwards since then.

He now goes into another room to poo, refuses to tell me when he's going to and basically I have worked out that he simply can't be bothered stopping what he's doing (ie playing) to go to the toilet. He knows he needs to, he knows that's where I want it, he knows he needs to be doing it to go to kindy (he loves Ellie's kindy and can't wait to go), he knows his big boy friends wear undies, he has cool undies he chose, and he has a bag of cheap toys which he is allowed to have if he poos on the toilet..... nothing works.

We've had conversations about it - basically he has told me he just wants to keep playing. He doesn't want to stop to go to the toilet - so much easier to do it in his pants!! :roll: I have explained that it takes less time to use the toilet than to have a nappy change. He has excellent verbal skills - there is no confusion about things. He also loves to use the toilet and isn't worried about that - we have a little step and seat for him to use.

I am out of ideas for incentives. Do I just wait until he decides he wants to do it? I have tried a sticker chart, a little $2 toy bag lucky dip, heaps of praise etc etc. I have managed to keep him semi-dry with undies if we stay home and I force him to sit on the toilet regularly but like a PP said - I don't consider this trained, and to be honest I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old so it's not uncommon for me to get side-tracked.

Thanks in advance!

Melanie.
Ellie born 4th August 2005 - self-weaned at 21 months
Finn born 13th November 2007 - self-weaned at 17 months
Neve born 28th September 2009

mum2H&R

Post by mum2H&R » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 am

Personally Melanie I would wait for a bit longer, maybe wait until after winter and try again - then they can run around with no pants on at home - much less washing and so much easier IMO. My GF was so worried that all the other kids at mothers group (only 4 of them) were TT'd and her DD wasn't, reluctantly she put her back in nappies and within 4 months she decided that she didn't' want to wear nappies anymore and that was it :D she was so revealed that she decided to put her back in nappies rather than keep trying.
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Norrie

Post by Norrie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Any tips on how to get him to relax and poo or wee in the toilet? DS1 will go and sit for like a second then say finished and get off. He never actually does poos or wees. We have a soft padded seat, a fold up travel soft padded seat, undies, bare bum time, stickers, etc no luck.

He is 2 yrs 7 months
DS 1 26/8/07
DS 2 17/6/09 BF 21 months. Last BF when I was 36weeks preg
DS 3 31/3/11
Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience, You are raising a Human being - Kittie Franz

mum2max

Post by mum2max » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 am

Im not sure what to do. Everynight before DS bath he wees on the floor while its running. So last night DF put him on the toilet and he did his wee there. DS was so happy he kept jumping up and down screaming "Yay"So what now? do I start toilet training? i just dont want to make it a long drawn our process.The smorning i asked him if he wanted to go on the toilet and he was happy to. I was going to wait until 3 unless DS showed interest befor hand. He isnt asking to go to the toilet yet.
So based on that info do you think I start? or should I be waiting for him to ask to go to the toilet. Im totally lost on this one. i have read other post but now just really confused. HELP

Norrie

Post by Norrie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:57 pm

I think if he is happy to sit there, then go for it. Make a huge fuss when he does something, but don't fuss if he doesn't. He might be ready
DS 1 26/8/07
DS 2 17/6/09 BF 21 months. Last BF when I was 36weeks preg
DS 3 31/3/11
Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience, You are raising a Human being - Kittie Franz

Grace

Post by Grace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:18 pm

We started at 25 months (DS1) and 22 months (DS2) and it took 2 weeks - certainly not long & drawn out. If LO is showing interest, it's a good time to start! :)
Me, DH & 3 beautiful kids! :)

Jan

Post by Jan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm

OK - I've just read all of your posts and have a question - my DD is nearly 2 and is showing interest but is still sleeping in her cot. Should I start TT with her still in her cot or wait until she moves into a big bed?

Grace

Post by Grace » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Jan - both my boys had over a year of "night nappies" after being TT'd because they still slept in a cot (therefore no easy access to the toilet). Being in a cot is no barrier to day time TT. :)
In fact I know a few 4-5 year olds who TTd late and still need night nappies! So no point in waiting for both to happen at the same time. :)

Feather

Post by Feather » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 pm

I haven't read through everything so I hope this hasn't been covered...

If you have only one toilet in the house what is your set-up for the toilet? Do you leave the kiddy seat on the toilet all the time and take it off to use yourself? Do you have a stool for them to use?

DD1 will go to the toilet every time when she's nappy free so I think she's ready but I want to be ready iykwim. She uses either a potty on the floor or the big toilet but I would like to get rid of the potty so she's used to using the big toilet all the time if we're out. I have one of those moulded seats that sits under the toilet seat for her. If she has to go I take her and lift her up to the seat.

I would like her to be able to get up by herself. Also, what do you do in public toilets? Hold them? She likes to do it by herself so holding her on the seat is difficult.

What's your set-up? Ideas please!
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Grace

Post by Grace » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm

IME when you TT a younger (and therefore smaller) child, they do need help getting up onto to the toilet until they are bigger and more able to monkey up onto the seat and jump off again. We provided a stool and a seat insert for our kids, plus used a potty for a while too. You will know when it is time just just use nothing, when your LO seems able.
I held my kids (or had a hand ready) when they were little on a public toilet - because falling in is a real possibility! (ewww!) :)