Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Postby Ronale » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

We've just completed at 2.5 toilet training, however we were really successful from 4-10 months at getting poo on the potty. It all went down hill when I returned to work full time and CC of course weren't interested.
I'd suggest for a smaller child have a look at the EC websites (tribal baby.org is the only one I know) and see what they suggest. We also did heaps of nappy free time which I think helped. I guess as far as the poo goes just not making a big fuss of it :smt102 which you're probably (not) doing already...
Toilet timing is fine really - there's still no nappies, yeah, you'll have to be on top of the situation a bit more, but he'll probably be able to communicate his needs better when he realises how best to do so.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Re: Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:51 am

Just popping in to ask for ideas/ thoughts.

DS 2&3 are not really interested in using potties/loos. But they're three and a half and possibly going to kinder next year, so time to stop mucking around. I have recently managed to get them to tell me when they've done poos, by bribing them with chocolate buttons for freshly-laid poos (this makes clean-up easier, as well as getting them used to the idea that running around in a pooey nappy is not OK). DH and the older two will be going away for 10 days in August, and my intention is to do a potty-training blitz.

I did something similar with DD and DS1 at this age. They had about three accidents between them before they got the hang of wees and loos. Poos took a bit longer. We still used nappies for naps (and outings for a few months), and I intend to do the same this time. The biggest difference is that this time round, it's winter. I'm thinking about having two potties in the warm kitchen instead of making them use the bathroom.

Any relevant experiences or opinions? I'm quite OK with the idea of using edible bribes, if that's what it takes. We have a pile of steam-engine undies ready to go, as well as legwarmer thingies so we don't have to deal with trousers.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Jenbt85 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm

We attempted toilet learning with DS earlier this year but then we all kept getting sick so we abandoned it. One thing we found was that he didn't like the potty much, but did like a toddler stepladder / seat thing on the toilet instead. DH used the TV a bit when he knew a wee or pooh was imminent and the distraction used to relax DS enough to let go!
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby JennyD » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 pm

I found no nappies really helped. They suddenly got the feeling of wetting etc. Of course this works much better in the summer. Other thing we did when they were older is use cloth nappies more, they seem to feel the wee more, and if it is only poos that they are having trouble with undies hold them just as well as a nappy. The other thing that worked really well with my girls, but not so well with my boys, was toilet timing. First thing in the morning they sat on the pot and did a huge wee, then a couple of hours later back on again. Worked really well for the girls as I said, the boys not so good.
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby A+D » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Have you got a lemon tree?!? Getting ds2 to water it was how we really got him reliably doing wees, he is so chuffed that he helps grow lemons, and he was tall enough to do standing wees straight away, so it translated to toilet use pretty quickly. Of course, as soon as he got it, we pushed the toilet rather than running outside the door to do it. Does one have the hang of it more than the other? Ds2 was also incredibly motivated by twin sister going to full time knickers, could you focus on one for a bit? He also hated going back into cloth after being on holiday and wearing disposables, he didn't like "big nappies".

Good luck!
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Some good ideas there, thank you!

DS1 used to wee on the lavender bush when he was playing outside, rather than having to tromp through the whole house to get to the loo. Of course, when he started kinder, there was a lavender bush in the garden, and I had neglected to tell him that you can't just wee on the plants when you're not at home... Luckily we had a very understanding kinder teacher with a good SOH!

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:31 am

Bumping this thread.

Operation Potty Training has commenced. DH and the big kids are gone for 10 days, so home life is uncluttered and we can spend as time at home as we like.

Yesterday I took the nappies away and they put on undies and legwarmers. The potties were set up on a towel in front of the heater. I explained that if they thought a poo or wee needed to come out, they should take off their undies and sit on the potty, and I'd help them if they needed me. They would get a jelly snake every time they did a poo or wee on the potty.

DS2 started doing a wee in his undies but stopped himself after the first few drops. He showed me the wet spot, and I got him to sit on the potty. He did a big wee soon after, we tipped it into the loo and he got to flush it, and then he got his jelly snake. The next time, I wasn't in the room but he managed everything himself, and only called me to say he'd done a wee and we needed to tip it into the loo. By the end of the afternoon, he'd done four wees and one poo in total, and he was still in his original pair of undies.

DS3 did a big wee in his undies, which we cleaned up. He tried to do a poo on the potty when I wasn't in the room, but he had trouble with his undies and couldn't get them off in time. By the end of the afternoon he was getting pretty grumpy about not having gotten any jelly snakes.

This morning, DS2 was raring to go again, although he wanted to wear trousers over his undies. We agreed that if he keeps his undies clean and dry all day, he can have trousers tomorrow instead of leg warmers. DS3 refused point blank to wear undies. He's incredibly strong willed and I really don't want toilet training to become a source of misery, so I let him have a nappy and said we could try again tomorrow.

I'm feeling a bit conflicted about letting DS3 go back to nappies after only one day, and not really sure how to go from here. I'm hoping that DS2 will continue as he's begun, and his success will inspire DS3. For the time being, undies will just be for at home. Once I'm confident that he's got the hang of it, and can hold on long enough to make it to a toilet, I'll put him in undies when we go out. I'm not even thinking about nights at this point.

Any thought or suggestions? Sorry for the long spiel :?

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:46 am

Hey pelly - you did well getting one kid trained in one day!

I'd let DS3 keep a nappy on for a day or two then ask if he wants to try again - he might benefit from watching his brother and you are right to be worried about making this a 'thing'.

Spend a few days reading lots of stories about potties. Out library has loads and our fave is 'have you seen my potty'
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Ronale » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:37 pm

We're also in the thick of this at the moment. Well done on the one child one day thing! With the other, I'd also be inclined to see whether the undies are the issue - trial without undies for a day and see if things are better. We've had lots of success with no nappy, and are presently working on undies and pants, as he doesn't seem to recognise the difference between undies and nappies, but we have no accidents when he isn't wearing either.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby AussieBritLu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 pm

When I was toilet training dd....we also did night time but she was just over 3 when we started and she was ready for it....I used to take the potty in the car etc for the first few weeks as the big toilets were too scary for her and she would flat out refuse to sit on them....we would still go to the toilets (unless we were on the road).

DS isn't quite ready yet...he asks and we out him on the potty but he mostly doesn't do anything and it's more a delay tactic to get out of something, ie nap or bedtime lol.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF'ing
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.
AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks, everyone!

Ronale, I think it's not so much the undies as the lack of trousers that is bothering him. But considering that he didn't get off to a great start yesterday, I'm reluctant to let him wear trousers because it's Tasmania and winter and I don't think I could keep up with all the washing! They have leg warmers and socks on, and the room is warm, so he doesn't need trousers for warmth.

DS2 is going great guns. Two poos and five wees, and no accidents! I'm not all that surprised; he is 3 years and 9 months. Much the same thing happened with the older two. MiL will, of course, say I ought to have done it two years ago.

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby JennyD » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:25 pm

I wonder if doing away with the rewards might help. Sounds like DS2 is sorted, and DS3 is jealous about not getting snakes. So just focus on use the potty so you don't have to wear a nappy and see how that goes. I find rewards don't really help most of the time. The other thing to try is guaranteed success, first thing in the morning, get out of bed, pants down on the pot success Yay. The other thing is practice with his undies, sounds like he had a bit of trouble with them and doesn't really want to try again. I was like that as a child, if I couldn't do it the first time, I gave up. Very frustrating for mum :) I have finally got over it, but it took a while.
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 pm

I have been thinking I need to phase the snakes out anyway - DS2 had seven today, and not much appetite for his dinner.

In his case, a substantial incentive was required. He's the kind of person who doesn't really care about other peoples' opinions, and who doesn't see why he should go to unnecessary effort. He's quite happy to wear a nappy, and doesn't give a $h!t about what big kids do.

DS3 has low muscle tone, so there are all sorts of things about using a potty that could be tricky for him. I will get him to practise taking his undies off. Unfortunately he is always very grumpy when he wakes up so getting him to sit on the potty first thing is going to be...interesting.

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:44 pm

We had to bribe Oobiwoo to use the toilet too - he didn't care about it and a sticker chart and some toy trains got us over the hump. It only lasted a few weeks and cost me about $30 in trains.

If muscle tone and undies are an issue, maybe standing up wees are the way to go? He just needs to pull down the front of his duds and take aim - might be a bit messier, but if he goes straight to the loo rather than a potty it could work.

Or practice making a game of pulling your undies down and back up again - seems to be a winner in our house :roll:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:07 am

It's been suggested to us to put a ping pong ball in the toilet for DS to take aim at. Is that worth a shot (no pun intended :D) to make it interesting - esp if he does end up peeing standing up?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting in general