Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Discuss general parenting issues here.
ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 am

DS was never a fan of undies. Still isn't! From the age of 2.5 he was toilet trained at home if he was pantsless, but the minute I put undies on him he would soil them. Also any sort of encouragement from me had a negative effect, if I even suggested he use the toilet before we left the house, he would run away screaming and 2 mins later pee in his pants. Rewards certainly did not work. He is incredibly stubborn, just like my brother, and for years I saw mum battle with my brother over things like this (teeth brushing for instance!) and it got her nowhere. For my brother to do anything it had to be his own idea and no amount of coaxing from anyone would make him do it unless HE wanted to. DS is the same so I've learned not to create tension.

After changing one pair of shitty undies too many I put him back in nappies over the winter and tried again in the springtime (he was about 3y3m). A friend suggested letting him wear pants with no undies, so I put him in loose fitting track pants that he could pull down easily and it worked a treat. In one day he went from nappies to fully toilet trained. He did it on his own terms when he was ready. Hope that helps!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Some really helpful suggestions, thank you all so much! Trousers with no undies had never occurred to me, ClOuD NiNe.

Progress report: DS2 got to the end of yesterday with nothing worse than a skid mark in his undies, so he was allowed to wear trousers over his undies this morning. He promptly wee'ed in them trying to pull them down to sit on the potty, so back to the leg warmers for the time being. We went to the library and I put him back into a nappy for the outing. Halfway into town he said he needed to do a wee - it's a half-hour walk, and not many loo options on the way. I said that if he could hold on, I'd take him to the loo at the library, but if he needed to wee in his nappy that was OK. We got to the library, had a drink at the cafe and went to look for books. Then he asked if we could go to the loo, and he did a big wee on the big toilet (normally big loos freak him out; we've tried before). His nappy was still perfectly dry. That's serious staying power, to wait for nearly half an hour AND have a drink before getting to a loo!
I was about to hit "submit" when DS2 called, "I did a big poo sausage." I'm calling it trained; we just need to sort out pulling trousers down now :smt026

PS Makers of potties should ensure that the little off-mould bit is NOT in the middle of the bowl. It makes cleaning a right PITA.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Looking for a little support and reassurance after our first day of toilet training. DD is 2y3m and has shown every classic sing of readiness for over a month, but we were waiting for a time when we grown-ups were ready and knew we'd have quiet time at home for a few days. I got some lined training underpants and they have been a life saver. She was so proud to wear them, but across the day we had:

-10-20 trips to the toilet or potty (I lost count), none instigated by her
-3 or 4 wees in the toilet or potty (no more than a few drips at a time)
-1 poo in the toilet
-9 pairs of wet and 1 pair or soiled undies.
-0 freak outs over accidents and 0 wees on the floor or furniture

It certainly is an exercise in parental patience. Asking, offering or coaxing trips to the potty were almost always refused, followed almost immediately by a wee in the undies which she tells me about right away. We then have a trip to sit on the potty, rarely with any more wee to go. I worked out that reading her a book on the toilet encouraged her to wait and actually deliver some goods. But so far she has not been able to recognise her urge to go before an accident, or instigate a trip on her own. As the day went on, though, her accidents were smaller and smaller until they were little more than a few drops in the undies.

By the end of the day though, even after a wash of undies we'd run out of them and she was in a nappy for about an hour before bed. She must have been holding back the wees because she sure filled that!

Mostly though I'm so happy at she hasn't gotten upset when she wet her undies. I've written before that I held back on training for a while because she would get really upset if she, say, peed on her foot before getting in the bath. We've been reading a few books where the characters have accidents (I have a great one happy to share the title in pm), and talked through it a lot beforehand so that seems to have headed it off.

Please tell me that a) this is normal and b) tomorrow will be less exhausting! I
DD born September 2013

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Sounds normal to me. My dd insisted on undies one day a couple of months ago (she's about 6mth older than your dd) and the first day was all over the place but it was rapid improvement from there. Poos took longer, maybe a, week but she was pretty much sorted for wees after a couple of days. Very different to my ds who took months (clearly wasn't ready) and didn't really get reliable until he was about 3.5yr.

Yankee

Re: Toilet Training Tips/Idea

Post by Yankee » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for the reassurance. I can already see an improvement today - only one accident in the undies all morning. We even went to the mall in undies (lots of spares, towels etc just in case) and she didn't have an accident the whole time. Lots of trips to the potty and tiny drips of wees. I worked out that she still isn't fully relaxed on the potty, though, and is holding back quite a lot. After drinking quite a lot of water, she did 'a little wee' in the toilet, then five minutes later asked for a nappy. I gently encouraged her to sit on a little potty and sure enough, the flood gates finally opened. She got an extra sticker for doing a 'big wee'.

We'll see how poos go today. She has a nappy on for her nap so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a deposit in there. :lol:
DD born September 2013

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Ok we're in day 3 and I could use some advice on how to encourage DD to relax and let out the wees and poos. She's gotten quite good at holding on, she can now go hours without an accident in her underpants. Twice now she's told me she 'needs a nappy' and with gentle encouragement she did a 'big wee' on the potty or toilet. But the other 20 times a day she sits on the toilet and can't relax enough to wee, instead she has an accident or saves it up for the nappy overnight or at nap time. Also after one poo on the toilet day 1 and 2 small poos in her undies, she hasn't pooped (even in her nappy) in 24 hours and I'm worried about constipation.

Im not actually too surprised, I went through a phase in childhood when I simply could not pee if I wasn't on a toilet (long car trips got desperate), so I know just how impossible it can be to force those muscles to relax. I've tried reading books on the toilet, both toilet themed and other books, singing songs, encouraging her to breath deep, trickled water from the tap, even tried bribing with lollies, none of it has worked. Any other suggestions of how to encourage her to relax? Or is it just a matter of being patient?
DD born September 2013