Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Discuss general parenting issues here.
mum2H&R

Toilet Training Tips/Ideas

Post by mum2H&R » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Please share your tips/ideas that make the transition easier for everyone.

Show them how to put on & take off undies and let them know that undies aren't like a nappy and need to be removed before going.

I know that seems like an odd tip, but Hamish kept having accidents everytime you'd put him in undies, but once I explained that he had to take them off before going he's been going great.
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Zzoe

Post by Zzoe » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm

We have been incredibly lucky with timing toilet training and summer holidays. We went camping for a week; took seven nappies (one for each night), and a potty. We made the commitment to not go anywhere or do anything which could have made accidents very hard to deal with.

DS (now two years and three months old) was in cloth nappies from day dot so he was very familiar with feeling 'wet' after a pee, and I think that awareness has helped. He says immediately 'pee's coming!' or 'poo's coming!'.

We've also had an open door policy on toilets when it's just DH, DS and I at home... had lots of practice in DS taking off his own pants, and we've encouraged lots of nudie time at home. We've had the potty around the house for ages, too.

I think all these things combined- and the fact of DS being ready- helped. But the camping was the clincher. We haven't looked back since, and only had a single accident.

Perhaps I can also ask for tips on the next stage: the nights?

About four nights of the week DS will wake up dry, and we're wondering when to start thinking about nappy free nights. How did others go about the transition to no nappy at night?

mum2H&R

Post by mum2H&R » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Zzoe I'd read some information that said that you should just stop nappies all together day & night, I wasn't 100% convinced on having nothing for the night time so we just used the pants that you pull up and told him that they were big boy pajama undies and that he wasn't to wee in them (They had a picture of Buzz on them so we just told him not to wee on Buzz :-D )
That if he needed to go to the toilet he was to take them off like normal undies, if it's dark then call out and Mummy or Daddy will come and take you. After 10 nights we just stopped using them - thankfully he's not had any accidents at all through the night, but he still has them through the day when he's busy. I'm sure that if we had left nappies on him he would still be wetting at night.
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Grace

Post by Grace » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 pm

For younger toddlers, a potty is great to have on hand in the loungeroom or bedroom or even the car, to avoid accidents that can't wait! :)

No pants on (at all!) at home seemed to work really well for DS1, he was fully trained and into undies after about 2 weeks of this.

With regard to night training, DS1 was dry by day at 25 months but continued to wee in the night nappy until aged 3. :roll:
We tried just removing the night nappy but he wet the bed every single night for 2 weeks until I put him back in night nappies.
Then a couple of months later we tried a sticker chart, he still wet the bed but only for the first week. Then he earnt his first sticker and after 3 stickers he won a prize (a trip to the beach, his choice). :) He has now been dry for a couple of months.

HTH!
Me, DH & 3 beautiful kids! :)

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 am

Leave it until junior and you are really really ready. Ignore pressure from grandparents etc (you should jump on it while he's showing signs etc). I don't believe pestering your child to go every couple of hours and having success in that is actualy being toilet trained. Toilet trained in my book is when they generally go of their own accord when they need to go. Two years of frustration to get to this point was not healthy for our parent-child relationship. I wish we'd started later!!!!

Stay calm!

Giff
Counsellor

Post by Giff » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:32 pm

I don't believe you can "train" for night time. I think you just have to wait until they learn to wake up if they need to go. DS1 was still in night nappies for almost a year after he was out of them during the day, because I didn't want to have to be changing his bed every single day. It was easier to ignore the wet nappies in the morning and celebrate the dry ones, if I didn't have to wash all his sheets and doona every day. DS2 got the night time thing much earlier.

I am going nowhere with DD. She started telling me she needed to use the toilet, and being able to hold it in, but only for wee. She would always still do the other in her nappy. That was before Christmas, and for the last 2 weeks or so, she can't be bothered using the toilet at all. I've backed off, because I won't make it into a power stuggle, but I am soooooo frustrated.

If she doesn't manage to train before July, I will have been changing nappies for one or other of the children for 10 years. :shock:
DS1 - July 1999 - BF for 15 months
DS2 - January 2003 - BF for 14 months
DD - December 2005 - BF for 4 years

Proudly storking AussieBritLu.

snooza

Post by snooza » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:06 am

I had read that trying earlier than two meant lots of mess til they're three and our ocassional attempts at TT prior to three were stressful and messy. We felt pressured and considered that because he had been using the toilet/potty as early as 20 months meant that he could be ready.
It's only one week of success but at 37 months he seems to have it sorted with a potty in his bedroom (great for interrupting play) and uses the toilet for almost all his poos.
He selected some underpants with pictures he loves and we praise him massively when he goes. He also gets the occassional sesame snap when he poos. Our four hour shopping mall trip was also a dry success with two trips to the toilet as requested!
I think the day he really understood why he shouldn't poo in his nappy was when I'd had enough of him pooing in his nappy every time I breastfed his sister. She is refusing the breast most feeds, so there is no way I'm taking her off once she's on and he understands that. He pooed in his nappy three times that day, just as I'd started feeding and wanted to play around us after he'd pooed in another room. It stank :roll: So I told him again and again that we poo in the toilet (not nappies) because poo smells. We don't want to smell our poo or anyone elses - that's why we poo in the toilet. I wasn't shaming him. I apologised for asking him to leave the room til I could change his nappy. It was plain and simple. You poo in your nappy, you smell. You poo in the toilet, you flush it away and the smell is gone.
Fingers crossed it continues to work!
Snooza
son born December 05
daughter born September 08

Baby BJ

Post by Baby BJ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 pm

A tip to keep you sane when saying good bye to night nappies I heard recently:

Make up your childs bed in layers - protective layer, sheet, another protective layer, another sheet. That way if there is an accident in the night you just remove the top layer and the bed is ready to go.
DS1: September 2006
DS2: September 2008
DS3: April 2011

Grace

Post by Grace » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Another tip - watch for the signs that they are ready -
like stopping and concentrating to wee or poo, wanting privacy to go, hating the feeling of a dirty nappy and wanting it changed right away, also language skills to let you know what they want to do.
There isn't a magic age - we just trained our DS2 at 22 months and it literally took a few days until he was confident in his new undies.
DS1 was TT'd at 25 months and everyone said that was too early - but if they are ready, then it will happen no matter what the age.
Me, DH & 3 beautiful kids! :)

Secondtimeround

Post by Secondtimeround » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am

Arrrghhh.....this is a nightmare :cry: So DS is turning 3 in one week, and he still JUST WON'T USE THE POTTY (or toilet...or anything unless it's a nappy.) He holds on and on and on until he's crying cos he needs to go (this is for a wee) and then he ends up wetting his pants and I'm sure that's no good for his self esteem. Lollies, chocolates, reward chart....you name it, I've tried using it.
Even got him to choose his own reward from the toy shop (we put it on a shelf and said he can play with it when he does a wee in the potty.)

He runs and tells me "Mummy, I do wee! I do wee!" He grabs his privates and crosses his legs and jumps around for dear life. But he screams and cries when i ask him (very calmly) to sit on the potty. I help him of course. But even if I get him on it, he just sits there and won't relax enough for anything to come out.

I'm 34 weeks preggo and just really want him to chill out and stop getting so upset by it. Do you think I should just have him wear no undies at all and go nudie? Would that be better? Or should I just back right off, go back to nappies and hope for the best? he goes to day care 2 times a week and the lady there is gently pushing me to have him toilet train. But she doesn't understand how hard it is and I'm sure she thinks I'm stupid (he is THREE afterall.)

Phew. Sorry for the vent. Just want my little boy to get through this okay and not be feeling so stressed about it.

Baby BJ

Post by Baby BJ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 pm

It sounds like he just can't relax enough for things to work. I have 2 suggestions but I haven't tried them so can't vouch for them sorry. When he tells you he needs to do a wee take him to the toilet and put a nappy on him and sit him on the toilet with the nappy on - it may help him realx and overcome his reluctance to use the toilet. The other could be messy but you could try sitting on the toilet (as far back as possible) and sit him in front of you and "go together"
DS1: September 2006
DS2: September 2008
DS3: April 2011

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm

I have just recently succesfully potty trained my DS1, I was stuck without a car for the last month (a whole other story!) so I took advantage of it (and the hot weather we were having). To start off with, I just let DS1 go pantless for a week or so because whenever he had pants on he had an accident (still too familiar with the nappy), this went really well. When DS1 needed to wee, he would just go and grab the potty and do one. We made lots of fuss and sang the 'wee wee on the potty' song. At this stage though DS1 did not like to poo on the potty. When he was very confident using the potty, we went to wearing undies around the place, I followed Mum2H&R's advice about teaching him to pull his pants up and down. It has all been pretty smooth sailing and he has had very few accidents. HE now poos on the potty too, I am amazed at how quickly he has gotten the hang of it all.
My only problem now is that he wont sit on the toilet, so that is our next step (it would make life alot easier, sometimes I feel like I empty the poty 100 times a day!). My DS1 is a bit shy using the potty when people (other than family) are around and often wants to go outside to wee in the bush! so I suppose this is something else to work on.
A few tips I would suggest is......
to have a potty in the car (comes in handy when visiting other people or at the supermarket) I carry some old cloth nappies to soak up everything and then just bring them in for washing.
Go pants free while you are starting off.
Lots of reminders (especially when there is something different happening (visitors etc)
We are using the pull up type of disposable pants when we go out and I am worried about an accident, but so far he has kept them dry too so maybe I shouldn't bother!
I am so proud of my little boy, but he is growing up too fast!!!!!
Mum to 3 beautiful boys and another baby on the way. Happily storked by MummaMagoo :)

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:30 pm

need some tips, Toby is great around the house is normally naked or on occasion has a pair of jocks on and no mistakes (occasion mistake with jocks) my problem is he doesn't tell me when he needs to pee and will go to the toilet/potty/pot plant/over the verandah/a cup :roll: when ever he feels the need to but I don't know about it unless I catch him in the act or find pee in his potty etc

How do you go about getting them to tell you they need to pee. I keep reminding him but it hasn't hit home. I wish it would happen as we could start to try tt out and about but the couple of short trips we have made without a nappy just turns out with wet jocks and pants and he still doesn't tell me until I make the find.
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

Mum23girls

Post by Mum23girls » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 am

Hi all, this isn't exactly a tip, rather an experience I'm sharing. My DD#3 is 2yrs 7mths, and we are having issues with her toilet training. We started trying to toilet train her around mid December, and still, after almost 3mths, she won't poo on the potty, and we still have to ask her if she wants to go on the toilet to wee, and still having several accidents a day with weeing in knickers. I am at such a loss as to what to do at the moment. I feel terrible, as I was sure she'd be ready. She knew when she'd done wees in her nappy, and when she'd pooed, and would go and be alone to poo in her nappy. We even got the point where we'd started taking her nappy off for her daytime nap in order to try and stop her from saving her poo for her nappy, and we discovered that she would stay dry for her nap.

Basically, at the moment, I feel like a failure, and I feel like I was expecting too much too soon, just because I had my first two DD's toilet trained by this age. I know they're all different, and I haven't pressured her or anything, DP and I have both remained calm and relaxed about the whole thing. What I have actually done today, and I have no idea if this will take her backwards or not, is put her back into nappies. I know it's not forever, but this also makes me feel bad, coz I feel like I'm giving up. My line of thought was that if I put her back into nappies for a little while, and then start again, then maybe she'll be truly ready???? You'd think that being my third I'd have this down pat....

I know this is something I should have done within weeks of trying, not almost 3 mths later, but I really thought she was ready....I am starting to think that she wasn't quite and we've maybe made it more difficult???

Anyways, I'm done with my venting, putting myself down now....

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Have you tried reading her any books about using a potty? we did this with DS1 (forgot to mention it above) and he enjoyed it so much we had to read it over and over and over again, I suppose it helped him process what he needed to do? When he sat him on the potty we would also remind him of what the book said (for poos, he had wee's under control). Goodluck, it can be frustrating.
Mum to 3 beautiful boys and another baby on the way. Happily storked by MummaMagoo :)