Keeping records of homework

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Keeping records of homework

Postby Esther » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am

DS needs to keep records for reading and practise. He is reading all the time and generally practises once cornered. Once he starts, it's actually hard to stop him. Interesting problem....

But he just can't remember to record that he does the reading/practise. Teachers remind him, he gets upset at "getting into trouble", manages to write down what he does for a day or two, then he forgets again.

I'd really like to see if I can come up with alternatives to suggest to the teachers. If he wasn't doing the work, that's another issue entirely. It's the paperwork....

Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate there needs to be some record, although speaking as an erstwhile violin teacher, it only takes me seconds to ascertain if students have practised or not. I don't ask them to keep practise records.

Help! If fact, any suggestions on getting an intelligent 8yo organised very welcome :-)
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Re: Keeping records of homework

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am

Could he keep the record in his book like a bookmark? Does he have to record minutes practised or just that he's done it? I wonder if there are stamps out there, which could make it fun to complete?

I don't have school age kids yet so ignore if this isn't feasible!
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby JennyD » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:38 am

Can you keep the record for him? Maybe when he is a bit older he could do it himself. Or some creative friend could create a punch card system, so he can clock on and off :)
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby Esther » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks Jen and Jenny!

The bookmark in the book sounds a good idea. Only problem is he usually has a couple of books on the go at once. Constantly losing stuff too. The child drives me somewhat demented.

He is actually extremely talented with music and is in the senior band. My kids are a bit unusual that way :shock: But we've also said that 30mins of practise every day for an 8yo is a big ask - thinking physical stamina with trumpet. So we will sign his record as long as he does some practise. Then he leaves his trumpet at school :roll:

I guess I could take over the record keeping, but I really want him to take some responsibility for it too. Maybe stickers on the practise chart would be easier? Until DD2 discovers and takes them for herself anyway :lol:

Might ask both teachers for ideas....

Keep 'em coming please :-)
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Our school has a reading nights book that comes with insentives ans stickers etc. DD2 lost hers in term 1. Teacher has mentioned that DD is not reading ans recording enough and not doing allocated level appropriate readers. To be honest I really don't care what the teacher thinks or wants. DD can read at a fantastic level and can comprehend and is getting appropriate pass rates so I am happy. Same with math. I see her read all the time so I am not worried.

My advice is jusy make sure he is keeping up with appropriate levels and don't worry about the extra stress with recording. If teacher has a problem with where he is at perhaps then put in place goal recording and practice
mummymanda

Postby Esther » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:38 pm

mummymanda wrote:If teacher has a problem with where he is at perhaps then put in place goal recording and practice

I don't think the teacher has an issue with reading achievement, more record keeping. But I like your idea of maybe putting some goals in place, rather than just creating paper trails. Thanks :)
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

He is 8 he has a lifetime to keep records.
mummymanda

Postby ~WildChild~ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:47 pm

We have the book mummymanda was talking about & I fill them in. I totally get what you say about responsibility but its one of those issues Ive decided isnt worth the argument yet.
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe
~WildChild~

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 pm

We aren't very good at this either - but I did tell the school pretty early on that I think homework is bollocks at this age so they don't expect much from the Woos!!

I wonder if there is an app he could use - would he like to hit a number on your phone and have you able to generate a graph at the end of the week or month?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:41 pm

How about putting the chart on the fridge so it's in a central location that he needs to walk past each day? Or on his bedroom wardrobe/bathroom mirror etc?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Bailey's Mum » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:14 pm

I like Mummy Woo's idea. There are heaps of timekeeper apps out there - several colleagues use them for work. I think I'll try that too. Mr 9 isn't keen on recording, but like yours, he has no issues with the actual reading. I think recording it takes some of the joy out of reading, especially for boys. Our teachers know we don't record reading, but we have no problem accomplishing the minimum weekly reading time, usually by Monday lunchtime ;)
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)
Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Postby Esther » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Bailey's Mum wrote: but we have no problem accomplishing the minimum weekly reading time, usually by Monday lunchtime ;)

Clearly our boys separated at birth :lol:
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Esther wrote:
Bailey's Mum wrote: but we have no problem accomplishing the minimum weekly reading time, usually by Monday lunchtime ;)

Clearly our boys separated at birth :lol:

Ours too 8)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Nedsmum » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:56 pm

In our home the kids read before bed, every night...I wonder if that's a solution (having a set routine) - then you just know they are doing it !
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby pseudo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:21 pm

We have the same issue with our recently turned 9 year old. It was causing so much stress and distress that I told the teacher I would write it in his diary, not him. She wasn't happy but we have enough problems getting the required homework done than to worry about recording it.

Storked by the lovely Lu!
pseudo

Next

Return to Parenting in general