Excitement and vomiting

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Excitement and vomiting

Postby mummymanda » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:53 am

So DD2 has always been a happy vomiter. If there is upheavel or stress the house she will vomit about 2 hours after she goes to sleep often withoutwithout warning. There have been times she has not realised till morning. I thought another trigger was food but I now realise it's excitement or a really busy day. Rich food and excitement go hand in hand. She threw up in her sleeping bag last night after a really fun exciting day that didn't include rich food.

Anyhow she is going on a major cub camp in 2 weeks that includes a disco and lots of other fun I am really really concerned about her vomiting again. Any ideas what I can do? She threw up all through her sleeping bag, pillow, clothes, bed it was horrible. I really do not want the leaders to have to deal with it.
mummymanda

Re: Excitement and vomiting

Postby Bailey's Mum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 am

Have you tried doing some mindfulness or calm breathing with her? That might help, but in all honesty, after years of experience with kids, it's not that uncommon, especially at a camp. Yes, they'll whinge and moan, but it makes for the best stories years later. :wink: I once worked a camp with traumatised kids, and my team-partner was told to sleep on the bunk above a certain kid, but he didn't want to, so he slept on the bottom bunk instead. Kid wet the bed. Copiously. Golden shower for my partner, LOL. We still laugh about it 18 years on.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)
Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Postby Bailey's Mum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 am

To clarify, we laugh at my team-partner, not the kid. More fool him for not doing what he was told. The poor kid couldn't help it. He even slept through the whole drama, but was mighty confused when he woke up in the bottom bunk the next morning.
DS1 born sleeping
Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Postby Marg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:14 am

Okay, so from the Leaders' perspective, this is what I would appreciate if I had a vomiter on camp with me:

1. Tell me all about the issue so it is not a surprise to me (this can also let me partner your daughter with a good PL or sixer or put her in a supportive group)
2. Send extras of everything and some very strong garbage bags
3. Make sure your daughter knows exactly what to do with her gear if she throws up all over it. Cubs need to be working independently on camp - so she needs to know how to get all the affected gear into a big garbage bag or rinse it or whatever by herself

Advice for any parent sending a child on camp where there are volunteers:

1. When you collect your child at the end of camp, I know you are excited to see your child, but please remember to thank all the volunteers - don't just walk away.
2. A thank you email really means a lot "Thanks so much for giving up your weekend and taking the cubs/guides/music group on camp. Little Susie hasn't stopped talking about the time she fell out of the canoe into the mud.". I know I really treasure these.
3. Really thoughtful ideas - a box of chocolates for the leaders to nibble on while they are waiting for the children to settle at night. A bunch of flowers, a bath bomb or a bottle of wine given after a camp .....and the most thoughtful of all - the family who invited my family over for a barbecue when I was taking the Guides on a camp -but hey, a container of bolognese sauce would have been fabulous too.

I hope your daughter really enjoys her Cub camp.
Mum to Monkey 15 (BF 2y2m), Possum 14 (BF1y2m) & Cupcake 12 (fully weaned at 5 1/2)
Marg
Community Educator

Postby Bailey's Mum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Great post Marg!
DS1 born sleeping
Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks for awesome replies. I spoke to the leaders on the weekend they were fine with it. One is a teacher at the girls school so is extra understanding and we'll versed in meditation type relaxation. I will pack heaps of clothes and extras. DD has assured me she can take care of it all however she goes into a little bit of shock after it. I will send her with stacks of baby wipes and perhaps zip lock bags to put next to her bed plus a sheet.

Gah kids who'd have em
mummymanda

Postby Bailey's Mum » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 am

Do you know what? Kids grow up so much more on camp than at home. I've seen it in my own kids. My oldest refused to go to year 5 camp at school, but begged to go to year 6 camp. This year, he joined Navy Cadets and has a weekend camp every MONTH! And he's been on a boot camp as well, and totally rocked it. He turned 13 while he was away, and said it was the best birthday ever, because they made him do 13 pushups at every meal, LOL. This is my quiet, introverted, delicate child.

I'm sure your DD will be just fine, and will be having so much fun she doesn't think twice about it.
DS1 born sleeping
Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Return to Parenting in general