Parenting with one arm

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Parenting with one arm

Postby mummymanda » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Any tips on parenting with only 1 functional arm that is non dominant. Especially day to day with 2 toddlers.
mummymanda

Re: Parenting with one arm

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 am

Short or long term problem ? Got any backup people ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Probably at least a week. Hubby wants to take it off but I don't want him too he just finished holidays. No others
mummymanda

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Can you let him help you ? I know you have mentioned a lot that you feel that he's not very helpful and you have such little time together...or maybe let him take a bit of time off and take the chance to do some parenting together ? I'm on 'sick leave' this week and it's really forced... my GP and Psychiatrist recommended it, but I feel so 'guilty' yet my health each day is definitely telling me that I need the rest! There is a point where we need to allow others to help us... sounds so cliche but it is true!!! (need to remind myself...a lot....)
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Just got out of surgery and no plaster just bandages but still think it will be hard. He is taking the rest of this week off then we will see. Since DD4 he has really stepped up however he doesn't realise all the added extra bits I do ie coordinate appointments etc. I am worried about work getting annoyed. Having 4 kids he takes fair amounts of time off here and there where needed. He is pretty irreplaceable at work too. Any how it is what it is.
mummymanda

Postby Penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:41 pm

My advice is to call in any and all favours. Neighbours, school friends, whoever. A few weeks ago I rang someone in tears and said 'can I drop a kid off to you right now for few hours please?' I felt awful doing it but once it was done I thought why the hell hadn't I done this before. Get DH to do as much as he can, get take away, see if any of the older kids' school friends can take the little ones for an afternoon or something? This was super hard for me, and took about six months of my clin psych berating me, but my advice is to do it. Sponge off others. You need the help - take whatever you can find - half an hour of babysitting, one load of laundry, whatever.

Will PM you some links x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:37 am

Penguin is right - just ask. And be specific with what you need. 'Please can you pick up a basket of washing and bring it back washed and dried' or 'please can you drop off a meal that we just need to reheat' is an easy instruction for people to follow.

People feel good when they have helped someone out - think of it as giving someone else an opportunity to feel good about themselves! :)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby wilfred » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:44 pm

When I broke my wrist I was in a cast for 3 months. It's hard but it's funny how you adapt I used my feet for some things. I'm lucky my toes are long like fingers :smt043

But you will need help so if someone offers accept it happily.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks
wilfred

Postby mummymanda » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 am

Well it's proving easier than expected. DH has till Tues off as I have my follow up appointment and DD3 has an appointment at the Same time neither could be changed. We will reassess after Tuesday. My mum has been heloping and I have freezer meals stocked which was helpful. I can't drive, change nappy or pick up kids. Hanging clothes on the line is also hard. There is a family camp at scouts this weekend we were going to do 2 nights but decided 1 is enough mum is having 2 little kids . Told DH it means less cooking on weekend. I think I will be fine after Tues. I am playing the poor sick wife role today. DD3 drove DH mad yesterday and she was not even in her best form. :lol:
mummymanda

Postby Penguin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 pm

mummymanda wrote:Well it's proving easier than expected. DH has till Tues off as I have my follow up appointment and DD3 has an appointment at the Same time neither could be changed. We will reassess after Tuesday. My mum has been heloping and I have freezer meals stocked which was helpful. I can't drive, change nappy or pick up kids. Hanging clothes on the line is also hard. There is a family camp at scouts this weekend we were going to do 2 nights but decided 1 is enough mum is having 2 little kids . Told DH it means less cooking on weekend. I think I will be fine after Tues. I am playing the poor sick wife role today. DD3 drove DH mad yesterday and she was not even in her best form. :lol:

Glad you're asking for, and getting, the help you need. How long is your arm out of action?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby mummymanda » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Arm is all good now. I can drive and do every thing as normal with minimal discomfort which is awesome. I have lost a small amount of power in my arm which I am sure will come back.

Take home message. I am human who does stupid things. I however will not do that again I hope.
mummymanda

Return to Parenting in general