Confused

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Confused

Postby Jld260191 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 am

Hi everyone im not sure exactly where to put this post so here we go...4month old beautiful boy constantly rubbing at his eyes fully breastfed i dont know if its an intolerance he has always been a gassy baby the weekend just gone crying pulling his legs up screaming if being put down hasnt had bowel motion since friday was given laxative at hospital and 1 dose of coloxyl this morning 2 no avail they say they think he is constipated could it be something else im worried i cant work out if ts something im eating and everyone dismiss that it could be food any advice would be appreciated
Jld260191

Re: Confused

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:22 am

At 4 months they don't have a huge lot of motor control - but I do know that we call them '4 month monsters' here on the forum ;-) They have big developmental changes and the 'not wanting to be put down' reaction is pretty common... it's tiring for the parent but not necessarily a sign of anything abnormal.

The general checkup would be to ask if they are fully breastfed, have they had any other exposure to medication, formula, solid food etc. It's very unusual for a 100% breastfed baby to be constipated (which means hard poos, not lack of poos)... some breastfed babies can go for many days between poos... others poo at every feed!

Some babies do react to what the mother eats, but it's really individual, and I wouldn't worry too much unless they are showing serious 'allergic' signs like skin reactions, eczema etc.

A nice warm bath can sometimes help with getting the bowel to move...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Return to Parenting in general