Auditory Processing Disorder

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Auditory Processing Disorder

Postby Tilly » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi all,

DD2 who is 5yrs old and starts "big school" next year has just been (informally) diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder after comprehensive screening by a speech therapist. DD2 totally bombed out on the screener. It is a well known screener that is comprehensive and only certified professionals are validated to use it. I 100% agree with her and had a gut feeling for the past 6 months. After months of me making endless calls and chasing tails we have a firm diagnosis of what I suspected all along (after hearing loss...and APD can certainly mimic hearing loss).

Now I am waiting for Australian Hearing (who I work with ALLL the time as a Teacher of the Deaf...oh the irony I know!! But seriously this is why I was able to pick something up that isn't usually picked up until Yr 1 or later) to get back top me to do a formal assessment which will give her the formal disability and that will start the ball rolling..................

Anyone else have a child/ren with APD??
Proud Mummy of two gorgeous girls....

Jasmine 25th June 2008
Matilda 9th March 2011
Tilly

Re: Auditory Processing Disorder

Postby Nedsmum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Not APD, but we may need to go down the track of getting a new assessment for our daughter who might have a form of ADD / Giftedness that includes 'slow processing'. The school where she is now (age 17) is having trouble accommodating the fact that if they pressure her more, she goes slower... and she's not being deliberately defiant or difficult...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby pseudo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 pm

We went through the testing process with DS1. First a speech and language assessment, which he tested in the normal range and then testing by an audiologist. Some weaknesses were identified but he didn't have APD, despite his teacher being certain that he did.

Something that stands out to me is that we were told at every level that APD cannot be diagnosed before age 7. This is because many of the things they test for haven't developed until then. We since had DS assessed by an educational psychologist who works at a children's hospital and they don't even recognise APD as being a thing.

Happy to answer anymore questions that you might have but at 9, DS1 has outgrown all the things his teacher was concerned about. He's enjoying reading, understanding instructions, etc, etc.

Storked by the lovely Lu!
pseudo

Postby pseudo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Tilly are you in Adelaide? DS has his assessment at Little Ears. They were great. It was done over 2 sessions and involved a comprehensive hearing test.

pseudo

Postby Tilly » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks ...

You can be diagnosed with APD by a certified practitioner but formal CAPD testing can only begin at 6yrs as this is when the central nervous system matures.... or something along those lines!

I have no doubt Tilly has APD... we have our third audiologist appt. with Australian Hearing in a few weeks time.

Tilly will benefit greatly from a FM system and I want it all up in place for whe she starts Kindy next year so it' becomes the expected practise.

Her ability to hear and decipher speech in noise and within dichotic words is 53% and 55% left and right (ears) ....of course APD can mimic hearing loss but she is also getting fluctuating audiogram results!
Proud Mummy of two gorgeous girls....

Jasmine 25th June 2008
Matilda 9th March 2011
Tilly

Postby pseudo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Australian Hearing are good. DS was screened by them at age 6. Things must have changed since then because they also told us that he could be screened but not tested until 7. This was a few years ago though. They screened him to not be at risk though and his teacher pushed for another opinion, which is why we went to Little Ears.

pseudo

Postby pseudo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 pm

Just to add, a couple of DS's friends have the FM system in class and have found it very helpful. We implemented the suggestions that were made, even though he didn't get a diagnosis. It was very helpful.

pseudo

Return to Parenting in general