2 y.o won't sleep

Discuss general parenting issues here.
mummymanda

2 y.o won't sleep

Post by mummymanda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

What does one do with a 2y.o who won't stay still long enough to sleep? Tried everything no nap, big nap, little nap, naps at different times. She just won't stay put long enough to sleep. Climbs over cot side. Runs out of room. Screams if contained. This goes on for hours. Previously we strapped her in the stroller but even in there it was wriggling and hysterics for ages even being walked.

Any tips?

JennyD
Counsellor

Re: 2 y.o won't sleep

Post by JennyD » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 pm

I used to cuddle up to DS while watching TV and he would fall asleep because he was watching. I found the only way to keep him still was to cuddle him still.
Good luck

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:12 am

I dunno. Mine's 7.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Unfortunately both of mine stopped naps at home from 2, but continued to sleep at cc... Peer pressure? Clearer routine? Bored?
Once dd was born (ds was 2.75yrs) I think there were about 3 days that they both had a nap at the same time during my yr off work :-(

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 pm

I call this the 'sleep is for the weak' phase. Normally it comes up around 2.5 years old. Naps may or may not be successful. It has a lot to do with the 'no' phase and the 'me do it' phase... ;-)

Sometimes it's because they are just not getting enough physical exercise (big spaces to run, climb) - toddlers have a lot of energy that needs burning off - their brain may be tired but their body is not - so they are obviously 'tired' (cue meltdowns, lack of impulse control) but their body can't rest.

Once it's become a battleground that adds another dimension (fear of sleep time, not wanting to be contained, not being happy to be in a container eg. cot or pram, not wanting mum to be in 'charge' ;-)...

Does she go to childcare ? I sent my two younger ones to childcare two days per week when they were around 2.... it was great for them, and for me... they did so many new things there and I got a psychological break so I could do better with the routines on the other days...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

snowie

Post by snowie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 am

My almost 2yo is protesting sleep too. "No eyes me" she loudly protests. I'm finding there's a sweet spot that also involves lots of being busy in the morning - riding her bike, running around the yard, swings etc.
Never forgetting our angel babies