Absent staring episodes

Discuss general parenting issues here.
Nedsmum

Re: Absent staring episodes

Post by Nedsmum » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:49 am

best of luck - definitely speak to the GP and ask for a second opinion. Maybe also a referral to a general Paediatrician rather than just the GP for assessment (sounds like the gross motor/fine motor is a concern as well?)
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

mummymanda

Post by mummymanda » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:16 am

Nedsmum wrote:best of luck - definitely speak to the GP and ask for a second opinion. Maybe also a referral to a general Paediatrician rather than just the GP for assessment (sounds like the gross motor/fine motor is a concern as well?)
Always has been bordering on dyspraxia but no OT wanted to properly label it or diagnose it. Because quote "It won't change the fact" "It's too hard to tell if she is dyspraxic or just clumsy and will grow out of it" "label's are not helpful working on the solution is" I gave up in the end and DD in her own time has dealt with it and improved herself. She still looks somewhat clunky and clumsy but doesn't seem to care. We had her playing basketball when she was 6-8 and she was terrible. She picked up a basketball at a high school tour and dribbled it and shot it like a pro I actually cried I was amazed. She and DD2 were in same swimming class but she just keeps practicing and finally it clicks but it takes a long time and doing it on her own terms. She is actually enjoying sport now. I admire her.

mummymanda

Post by mummymanda » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Gah sitting in ED DD had 5 in 2 days and yet again it's like meh. The Dr's keep assuming because we have yet to witness one and they have only happened at school it's an issue with school not a medical problem. A teacher and office staff witnessed 2 different ones but still it's nothing. How much more can I do. It's upsetting DD because she doesn't feel validated. She is 11 she completely understands the implications of using this as an excuse or otherwise. She is genuinely scared of going into a coma so I am sure this is real. Everyone I speak to tells me to take it further how can I do that any more than I am? I have basically demanded an mri and even then I am not getting anywhere.

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm

That must be so frustrating! Can you give school permission to video one of the episodes so you can take it to the dr, maybe?

My niece recently had sudden onset seizures. After a lot of tests, it was determined to be a benign form of epilepsy that is common to adolescents and usually outgrown. Could this be something similar?
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

mummymanda

Post by mummymanda » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:07 pm

I think it could be similar because first neuro without even doing anything said "If it is something she will likely grow out of it, I wouldn't worry" easy for him to say. I am not a huge worrier but if it's something I would rather have someone say, hey its this and yes she will grow out of it do xyz. Rather than speculate it's nothing when it could very well be something. Also doesn't give DD confidence in health professionals if they keep looking at her like a hypercondriac.

Have told people to video but in a school with a staff base of 200 (huge school!) It's a bit hard to filter through. Think it's also a case of its over before you can get your phone out and camera on because your natural reaction is to startle her awake.