nail biting alternatives

Discuss general parenting issues here.

nail biting alternatives

Postby Esther » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:50 pm

DS has TMJ issues. One thing he really needs to stop is biting his nails (toenails too!! How is this possible!!??) We need something for his fingers to do when he would normally want to bite his nails. He doesn't really want a bracelet (hairband) for school, and says he doesn't bite his nails much there anyway, but will probably accept one if no alternative. But I was thinking of some kind of putty for him to work with? My suggestion of taking up knitting has been sadly poo-pooed by DS (I thought it should be a winner, but may be biased).

Any and all suggestions welcome. I don't think painting his nails with something nasty-tasting will achieve much. He'll either not care, or simply wash it off, being 8 and not silly (except when he is...) They're not allowed nail polish at school, and the times DD1 has painted his nails it really hadn't made any difference to the biting.

PMs very welcome if brand names are needed. TIA.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Re: nail biting alternatives

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:35 pm

DS developed a terrible habit of biting his fingernails and toenails, and then moved on to biting the skin on his hands and feet. My MIL is a child psychologist and recently sent me links to a couple of websites that sell "chewellery" (chewable jewellery). It's all silicon stuff and they have fiddle toys as well. Apparently they're great for kids with sensory issues and ASD, those with nervous habits etc. I bought some and it just arrived today so we will see how they go! I'll pm you the links.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Esther » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks! Fiddle toys sound great. Need to avoid any extra chewing....
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Postby evolve77 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:01 pm

you may well have looked in to these things - have you sought treatment for the TMJ? like buteyko breathing, osteopath or dentist who treats TMJ with dental plates (i think you are in WA, PM me if you would like a contact).

putty or stress ball could work too, but important to look at the cause. best wishes with it
ImageImage
evolve77

Postby Esther » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:55 am

evolve77 wrote:you may well have looked in to these things - have you sought treatment for the TMJ? like buteyko breathing, osteopath or dentist who treats TMJ with dental plates (i think you are in WA, PM me if you would like a contact).

putty or stress ball could work too, but important to look at the cause. best wishes with it

Yes, we're seeing a TMJ physio. We saw a paediatric dentist who was useless. The physio has given DS some simple exercises to do, but emphasised that the nail biting was a big issue, as it contorts the jaw.

I like the sound of the other suggestions you've made and will keep them in mind. We're in QLD.
Esther
Storked by nat*4
Esther

Return to Parenting in general