Almost 5yo drawing on things

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Almost 5yo drawing on things

Postby Penguin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:20 pm

Dd keeps drawing on things she's not supposed to - walls, furniture, her dolls, her sister, walls and floor at Nanny's house. Time outs, discussions and no treats have been unsuccessful. She has access to paper. Any ideas?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Re: Almost 5yo drawing on things

Postby Andypandy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Remove all drawing implements. Explain that she can't have them because she is drawing on the wrong stuff.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015
Andypandy

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Andypandy wrote:Remove all drawing implements. Explain that she can't have them because she is drawing on the wrong stuff.

Yup. I guess you have tried to get her to articulate why she is drawing on things she shouldn't. With my little brain boxes sometimes it takes a few tries to get an answer about why. And they can't explain 'why' but they can explain what they were thinking or trying to do - at five I think 'why' is a hard question to answer.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:48 pm

She's doing it because "I like drawing" and "I don't know".

DH and I took her out for ice cream to talk about how she was feeling and why she was doing it etc. She promised not to do it any more and the drew on the side of a nice storage box within an hour of being home :(

When I asked her what she was feeling she said 'cranky' but couldn't tell me why (and she wasn't acting crankily). We said to et paer and draw how she was feeling, and she drew rainbows and butterflies and hearts and star and said she was feeling happy.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby JennyD » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Give her chalk, then get her to wash it off the wrong places, but let it stay on her walls. Our kids loved drawing on the walls with chalk, and they enjoyed washing it off so they could do it again :)
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:52 am

My kids aren't your kids, but in our house that would mean that something is bugging the child but they can't articulate it. Is she resisting going to any of her usual activities or doing anything she would have previously enjoyed? It needn't be a big problem that is upsetting them - for mine it is usually some kind of social problem.

Actually mrs moops has just been told that her teacher is reallocating seating and she won't be sitting with the girl who has been bugging her all term. And a whole two months of terrible behaviour has evaporated. I knew she was having problems but not how much it was spilling over at home.

YMMV, but it might be worth spending some time just colouring in or on long walks so she can spill the beans.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Monicat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Andypandy wrote:Remove all drawing implements. Explain that she can't have them because she is drawing on the wrong stuff.

This is what we have done in the past - they can only draw when they are sitting at the table and I can directly supervise them. They have (mostly!) grown out of it now. The other thing I do is make them clean it off, then they realise that it is actually hard to clean off as well.
Monicat

Return to Parenting in general