Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Miss Magoo has an appointment with a speech pathologist next week. She can be really difficult to understand at times and there are certain sounds she just can't seem to get her tongue around. Until recently I had been of the opinion that it was probably within the realms of normal speech development and given time she will be speaking as clearly as as the next person. But now her kinder teacher is concerned and has organinsed the referral to the speechie so even though I am not entirely sure it is necsessary I am taking it a bit more seriously than I was. I mean when a person who spends her working life in conversation with 4 year olds is concerned that she is difficult to understand and that this might undermine her confidence it is probably worth getting an expert opinion on right?

Anyway the problem is that I have really botched up explaining to Miss Magoo what this appointment is about an now she thinks she is going to do a talking test and, as you can imagine, she is not entirely thrilled by the prospect- who would be?? So my question is how can I turn this around and give her a better understanding of what to expect without being made to feel as though she is being tested??
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
User avatar
MamaMagoO?
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:11 pm

When Oobiwoo had his cognitive assessment I told him he would be sitting down with some lovely ladies (who i had already met) and doing lots of puzzles and games. I reminded him that he liked puzzles and games and that seemed to work. I did the same thing with Naplan - just told him he would be doing some puzzles and activities just like his school work and reminded him he likes his school work.

We haven't seen a speechie so I'm not sure what they do, but I think there will be some talking games for sure.

Good luck - hope you get some answers. Mrs Moops has a friend who is seven and I can hardly understand her (neither can DH), I don't know her mum well enough to ask/suggest further help .
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13643
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby keyfive » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Yep, lots of games and fun stuff! She'll enjoy it :) DD1 used to love it because she got to do stuff on the speechie's tablet (she doesn't get to do anything with technology at home so that was a real draw card lol!)
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)

Image
User avatar
keyfive
Counsellor
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Dandenong Ranges, Victoria

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby Esther » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:32 pm

DS did speech therapy for a year when four. He loved the attention and the speechie played board games with him. I don't think he had any realisation that it was actually work!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
User avatar
Esther
 
Posts: 11268
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: The better side of the river ;)

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby pseudo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Speech is fantastic. It's all play based with lots of games. My DS2 has a lateral lisp so some of his sounds are slushy. We've only had 4 appointments but he looks forward to each week and is very excited to go.
Image

Image

Storked by the lovely Lu!
pseudo
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks so much. This is all really reassuring. I am still not quite sure how I am going to undo the damage I have already done and convince her she doesn't have to take a test but you have given me some ideas.

Thing is she finds it really frustrating when people don't understand what she is saying but she seems to think it is their problem not hers. So I'm trying to work with this too.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
User avatar
MamaMagoO?
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby JennyD » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Maybe tell her you were wrong, and that actually she is going to the speechie for fun and help with making other people understand her. Tell her you've been chatting to other mum's whose kids have been to speech and that it sounds like lots of fun, and you play games and at the end you get some things to do at home to help make your speech more clear. Something like that. Or you could just lie, and tell her that she isn't going to that after all, you are going somewhere else which is heaps of fun. I have been known to lie to my kids to help repair the damage I have done when I stuff up by being too accurate.
User avatar
JennyD
Counsellor
 
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: Rural WA

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:03 pm

JennyD wrote:Maybe tell her you were wrong, and that actually she is going to the speechie for fun and help with making other people understand her. Tell her you've been chatting to other mum's whose kids have been to speech and that it sounds like lots of fun, and you play games and at the end you get some things to do at home to help make your speech more clear. Something like that. Or you could just lie, and tell her that she isn't going to that after all, you are going somewhere else which is heaps of fun. I have been known to lie to my kids to help repair the damage I have done when I stuff up by being too accurate.


LOL! Thanks Jenny I may have to lie :lol: . I tried the I was wrong and its really just playing games and having lots of fun but she is still adamant she doesn't want to go.

Appointment's tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
User avatar
MamaMagoO?
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby Penguin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:23 am

Good luck! Hope it goes well x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Image
User avatar
Penguin
 
Posts: 10031
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby fellare » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 am

Envious you get an appointment so quickly. A year of trying and I finally got one in June. They kept wanting to do a global assessment first. Didn't help that we kept moving, but at one place the waiting list was 15 months.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
User avatar
fellare
 
Posts: 7407
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am
Location: here

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 pm

fellare wrote:Envious you get an appointment so quickly. A year of trying and I finally got one in June. They kept wanting to do a global assessment first. Didn't help that we kept moving, but at one place the waiting list was 15 months.


Wow fellare. You'll have to let me know where you went. The place we're going the waiting list was 6 weeks and its a public hospital too. I wonder if it helped that we had a referral from a kinder teacher??

Arrgh. Need to leave in 20 mins and she is flat out refusing to go!! I don't know how we are going to get there.

The joys of a strong willed child!!!!
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
User avatar
MamaMagoO?
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby AussieBritLu » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Can you bribe her? Hope all goes well.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF'ing
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.
User avatar
AussieBritLu
Community Educator
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:
fellare wrote:Envious you get an appointment so quickly. A year of trying and I finally got one in June. They kept wanting to do a global assessment first. Didn't help that we kept moving, but at one place the waiting list was 15 months.


Wow fellare. You'll have to let me know where you went. The place we're going the waiting list was 6 weeks and its a public hospital too. I wonder if it helped that we had a referral from a kinder teacher??

Arrgh. Need to leave in 20 mins and she is flat out refusing to go!! I don't know how we are going to get there.

The joys of a strong willed child!!!!


Probably too late, but I always have a tempter for after the 'thing' - so we went to the audiologist this morning, then shoe shopping, then sushi!! My monsters even tidied up their rooms before we went out - will someone let the MOTY committee know please? 8)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13643
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:03 pm

I had already tried the tempter MW; afternoon tea at the big shopping center which she loves and then upped the stakes with, "And maybe you could choose a new book for yourself while we are there... or a toy maybe??" Still not working. So I say, "OK, I give up. We will not go to speech pathology. Lets just go and do the shopping". "Can I still have a toy?" she asks. "No, only if we go to speech first".... after a bit of grumping about how unfair that was she goes, "Alright. We can go to speech pathologist". And we did and she really enjoyed it and when we left she decided she would prefer to just go straight home as she was tired.. but we have to go to the shops the day after tomorrow instead :wink:
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
User avatar
MamaMagoO?
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Preparing for appointment with Speechie

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:I had already tried the tempter MW; afternoon tea at the big shopping center which she loves and then upped the stakes with, "And maybe you could choose a new book for yourself while we are there... or a toy maybe??" Still not working. So I say, "OK, I give up. We will not go to speech pathology. Lets just go and do the shopping". "Can I still have a toy?" she asks. "No, only if we go to speech first".... after a bit of grumping about how unfair that was she goes, "Alright. We can go to speech pathologist". And we did and she really enjoyed it and when we left she decided she would prefer to just go straight home as she was tired.. but we have to go to the shops the day after tomorrow instead :wink:


Glad you worked it out in the end!!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13643
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Next

Return to Parenting in general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests