Swimming lessons at school

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Re: Swimming lessons at school

Postby MamaMagoO? » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 am

To be honest my only concern with that ratio is that I don't think its optimal for learning.

At our school swimming is optional and only about half the kids do it. Most of the kids that participate don't have any other lessons- except for my son who has had weekly lessons since he was 6mths and wants to participate because he loves it (and probably because its the only sport he's any good at so its his chance to out-shine the sporty kids :lol: ). Our school swim program is a week-long intensive held in towards the end of term 4 at a private swim school. The kids are grouped by ability and each group has a qualified swimming teacher. The kids with special needs also have an aide from the school in the water with them. The lowest level all wore floatation devices. Parent helpers are there to help the kids get changed. But there were 9 kids in Little Magoo's group which made it very difficult for the teacher. I had no concerns for their safety but I don't think LM learned a thing.

That's not to say your concerns aren't valid. I probably would have felt the same way if lessons had of been at the start of prep. Talk to the PE teacher then decide what to do.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Postby Penguin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:59 am

So last night at the info night they said the ratio was 1:5, but they have said 3 volunteers which puts them at a ratio of 1:6.5 :?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Chel070 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 am

I know my DD's class had a teacher aide as well as parents so perhaps they will get an aide to come and bring it down to the correct ratio- maybe waiting to see if all of the students would be participating? Sounds like 1:5 ratio might be mandated?
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014
Chel070

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Penguin wrote:So last night at the info night they said the ratio was 1:5, but they have said 3 volunteers which puts them at a ratio of 1:6.5 :?

And they say we have problems with primary teachers and numeracy :roll:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Monicat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:42 pm

If the kids can stand in the water I probably wouldn't have an issue with it, but I actually kept DD out of their school swimming lessons for the first year because she couldn't swim at all, she couldn't stand safely in the pool, and they all stood on plastic crates. After watching their lessons last year when I did let her go because she could swim a bit y then, and this year I'm glad I did that because there were lots of kids inadvertently pushing each other off the crates and none of them could swim so it wasn't exactly a great introduction to the water for them. If you are feeling unsure there is nothing wrong with not doing it for a year or two until you feel more comfortable with it.
Monicat

Postby Penguin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm not sure if pulling her out is an option. Not sure what would happen if we refused to sign the permission form. I don't know if they can stand in the pool - if they can if would only be if they had a table or platform or something in the pool (it's not super shallow)
PE teacher still hasn't called back; I'll try again tomorrow.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
Penguin

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Penguin wrote:I'm not sure if pulling her out is an option. Not sure what would happen if we refused to sign the permission form. I don't know if they can stand in the pool - if they can if would only be if they had a table or platform or something in the pool (it's not super shallow)
PE teacher still hasn't called back; I'll try again tomorrow.

You are the mum. If you refuse permission they will find her a job helping poolside or she will sit with another class while her class are at the pool. Both are probably better than an overcrowded class where you have safety concerns IMO.
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 pm

forgot to update this thread. PE teacher called me back after a week when the classroom teacher was chasing me for the permission slip - I suspect the higherups may have been involved. Turns out they also have a swim coach in addition to the teacher and the three volunteers so that's good. He also talked me through their procedures (which is precisely what I wanted to know in the first place...) DD seems to be enjoying it without incident so that's good. I hate taking her to swimming lessons so that's even better.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
Penguin

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:57 pm

Penguin wrote:forgot to update this thread. PE teacher called me back after a week when the classroom teacher was chasing me for the permission slip - I suspect the higherups may have been involved. Turns out they also have a swim coach in addition to the teacher and the three volunteers so that's good. He also talked me through their procedures (which is precisely what I wanted to know in the first place...) DD seems to be enjoying it without incident so that's good. I hate taking her to swimming lessons so that's even better.

That is good to know. I often find at our (lovely) school that there is a good plan that makes sense and is safe for everyone, but it is really hard to get them to communicate that to me! I think it might be a school thing!
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Parenting in general