Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performan

Discuss general parenting issues here.
Penguin

Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performan

Post by Penguin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am

I'm looking for stories about people who we super organised before children, had it all fall apart after children, and then managed to get reorganised in a functional way. I'm not talking scheduling everyone's activities in 15 min sections type thing, but back to feeling on top of things. Anyone?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Jenbt85

Re: Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor perfo

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Ugh, this thread gave me flashbacks from my childhood. This was my Dad's motto growing up. He was in the army and this was dammed down our throats - probably why I'm a perfectionist in recovery!!

I have always been super organised in work, though less so at home. Things definitely slipped after having DS and then I did my life changing declutter. Things slipped less after DD. I definitely feel more in control, but the degree to which I feel in control fluctuates with my anxiety levels / how much sleep I'm getting.

I have a housework routine in the morning, which takes about an hour. I'm further simplifying the house contents and pulling DD onto a routine while DH is home to try and make things even easier. I often don't feel on top of absolutely everything, but I also don't know anyone who is with small children. Good enough is good enough at the moment.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah, no. Not me.
*backs away quietly*
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I should add that keeping things together in a functional way for me also meant letting go. I have told DH that I will do x y z around the house but that I expect him to do 20 minutes of housework on alternate nights to mop up the last bits which are hard to do with two kids underfoot - cleaning a bathroom, putting away washing etc. I was making myself miserable trying to achieve it all.
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Oh, just realised the thread wasn't in Domestic Bliss. I don't feel on top of parenting at all if that's what you meant.
DD - breastfeeding

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:23 pm

:smt081 Sorry Penguin. I wish. I think I was slightly more organised BC, but I had more time to be organised in, iykwim? Now it's just survival, but also remembering that as they grow, things change and some things do get easier. That having been said, I'm worried about the taxi service's ability to cope in the next 10+ years, but try to take deep breaths about that :?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

You had me right up until the part about getting back on top of things :smt005

I actually like how we are less scheduled and organised now. Having young kids really forced me to let go and enjoy being in the moment - it is a gift :smt060
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 pm

Nedsmum advice....pay a cleaner!

We are a lot more organised now... but my youngest is 8! My kids all have their own school schedule and DH does the morning routine, so all I do is say goodbye and get myself ready to leave for work... which takes me under 10 minutes...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:58 pm

It's about SMART goal setting...Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timebound. I've started using that kind of thing for cleaning lately - mainly, I want a cleaner house/can't afford a cleaner so what's possible? I've worked out a room a day is achievable, and then I can manage some decluttering and keeping kitchen neat on top. Any more and I need to readjust my goal for the day. But the kitchen needs to be clean when I leave the house, so if I have a big day I might need to do something extra the night before.
Would working through the SMART goal setting exercise work for you do you think? I worked out the goal, then worked out the timeframe I had then worked out what was achievable and then the other bits sort of fell into place. Now if only the teething 5 month old would follow the same neat timetable...
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

A+D

Post by A+D » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:50 pm

I have a paper diary, that everything goes into. Sometimes to the level of which weekends I will wash the sheets and a day to clean the bathroom. Pretty much cleaning the bathroom still doesn't get done, but most other things do. So in the last week, I have prepared for the first half of the year. Put in all the times we will be away, when the kids will have sports, ABA meetings, started to schedule in my gym sessions (I book these a month in advance usually). I then often have a daily/weekly to do list in there as well, but that changes depending what is going on. I am by no means completely organised, but having everything written in one place helps. I think I am more organised now than I was before kids, because my minutes are just so precious now, I need to have things planned and written down so I'm not wasting brain space thinking about what needs to be done, and hate not managing to get things done that I had wanted to or said I would do. I think it can be done, but as others have said, I have had to let things go, and do think I need to focus more on the now, and some days accept that everyone being alive and fed is about as organised as it gets. And this has all only happened in the last 6 months or so, once DD2 was definitely out of baby stage.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

A+D

Post by A+D » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Just thinking about this a bit more as I open emails, really I think I do all the things I learned at work about time management. Check emails once a day, reply to those that you can straight away, add to to do list if there is something I need to follow up on, have an admin time every few days to pay bills, check bank accounts. Every couple of months, go through my filing pile, and throw out regularly what I don't need.

Organisation I feel like I've got sorted, aim this year is to have more spontenaity and fun in our household, and play with the kids more.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:30 am

We are starting to see glimmers of light, and that's taken (a) youngest being three, and (b) taking housework and organisation seriously, like it's a real job that someone in the household needs to be doing, not just jamming into the spare moments (not me, btw).
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:05 pm

I just wanted to edit my drivel and give the straight forward answer of "no"
Last edited by DigDig on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

kingofthedivan

Post by kingofthedivan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 pm

I've just started using a new paper diary that I downloaded from the internet. It combines personal and work goals, with motivational quotes and regular prompts for reflection. I'm hoping this will help me stay on top of my parallel lives and not double book so often, or freak out when everything is overwhelming. I'll pm you detail.