Toilet training ... Thoughts?

Discuss general parenting issues here.
Yankee

Toilet training ... Thoughts?

Post by Yankee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi ladies been lurking mostly these days but I could use your thoughts. DD is now 26 months and we're hoping to potty train this summer. I've read the no-cry potty solution cover to cover more than once and by their quiz she seems physically ready. She knows all the steps involved, her language is really well developed, she went through the phase where she loved 'pretending' over and over. She only shows occasional interest these days although she insists on chaperoning my toilet trips. :roll:

The one thing that is holding me back is that she seems really upset by accidents. The other day she had her nappy off before bath and a little wee dripped on her socks and she got really upset. She still occasionally seems upset by memories of accidentally pooing in the tub. The only one that doesn't upset her is peeing in the tub. I don't know why she gets upset, we NEVER scold her for accidents, if anything we talk through that accidents happen and are ok and we just clean it up. We even read a very positive potty training children's book that showed the little girl having accidents and that its ok.

So what do you reckon? How do we convey that accidents are ok? Do we try soon or hold off? How do we know when she's ready?
DD born September 2013

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Toilet training ... Thoughts?

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't think there is any harm in trying. Make the potty available and let her choose to use it, keep things positive, no pressure. I think you're doing all you can with respect to reassuring her that accidents are ok. However if you decide to try soon and she's still getting upset over accidents I would probably take that as a sign that she's not ready.

From personal experience, negative associations with potty training can cause a regression. I know of some parents that pushed through regressions but that did not work for us. What did work was putting DS back in nappies, not mentioning the potty at all and trying again a few months later. I think you will know if she's ready... If it's working she's ready, if it's not she's not! :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:25 pm

We've made the potty available for months - after an intial bout of interest, I think the novelty wore off and now although she'll tell us she's going a wee or poo in her nappy, if we ask if she wants to use the toilet or potty she usually says no. So it's hard to tell if it's a 'not ready' thing, or a 'not interested but could do it if I was inclined' thing.

She does seem interested in wearing underpants, and we've explained that underpants are for people who do wees in the potty. I think when we're ready to try we'll make the purchase of the underpants the exciting/new incentive, since the potty is old news now.
DD born September 2013

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 am

Echoing CN, keep the potty available, keep doing what you're doing, but maybe wait for the undies for a little longer. I had a window with DS2 at around the same age, but due to a bunch of factors we didn't manage it. He ended up showing signs of readiness again at around 2.5 (whatever that is in months) and we've since toilet trained him. However, it should be noted that he is more toilet timed than trained - which I'm super happy with as it means less nappies, but we still have quite a few accidents and it's been around 4 months since we started. I don't remember DS1 being quite so challenging with toileting, so he was obviously more ready for this step than DS2 was (both around the same age when they moved to daytime undies). Just another thing to consider...
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of (washable) 'training pants'. I think she might be less upset by accidents if they aren't quite as messy, iykwim? Anyone used them, or gone straight to undies?
DD born September 2013

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:14 pm

no, I keep debating whether they're worth spending the money on and procrastinate long enough that the issue resolves... they sometimes come up on the buy sell swap sites tho?
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:21 pm

We put DS in undies and he freaked out about the mess. I put him in cloth nappies (to try and get that wet association) and he ended up with nappy rash. I'd personally just wait it out until she can handle undies (which is what we will do).
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 pm

You could try the potty first thing in the morning or before a bath before"propper" potty training. Could make it fun by reading or playing games while on there. Then making it available or lying around.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Yankee wrote:I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of (washable) 'training pants'. I think she might be less upset by accidents if they aren't quite as messy, iykwim? Anyone used them, or gone straight to undies?
If you mean a cloth nappy kind of equivalent of 'pull-up' nappies, then yes, we had a few pairs for DD - she went through a kind of in-between phase where she was adamant she didn't want to wear a nappy, but wasn't 100% across the toileting thing. They were quite handy for quick trips in the car, especially, which seemed the most common time for her to have an accident during that phase. Word of warning - they are absolutely not as absorbent or leak-proof as regular cloth nappies! :lol:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13