Oobiwoo messed up my homework (warning - maths within)

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Oobiwoo messed up my homework (warning - maths within)

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Oobiwoo came home with one problem for maths homework yesterday - a word problem best solved with a quadratic equation. I'm a bit strange and I love quadratic equations - I love finding an elegant solution and keeping everything neat and balanced. I was showing Oobiwoo how to do them, and about three steps from the end he 'got' it and wanted to finish the puzzle. So I let him do the rest - he messed up my beautiful column of sums! He got the right answer, but he didn't keep everything vertically aligned. There were scribbly sums going left, right and upside down.

I'll get over it, I'm sure!

Everyone else enjoying being back at school?

(BTW, dragonbox is great for kids learning algebra concepts - I'm sure it helped Oobiwoo pick up the idea quickly)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Oobiwoo messed up my homework (warning - maths within)

Postby freerange » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 pm

I can only hope my lot will get interested in maths homework...

Instead I did a handshake workshop with them. I was at a function today where two men had to shake hands with a lot of award recipients.

One shook everyone's hand exactly the same, the other offered hearty handshakes to men and a dead fish to women.

I role played it for the kids and DH, DD was disgusted and walked off, DS declared racism and wanted to tell the man he was &$*#. DH noted it said a lot about the mans character.

I like to think we all learned something new about paying attention to the small things.
freerange

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm

That is really cool Freerange. I had a dead fish handshake at work last week - it is weird!

Kids are funny in how they respond to prejudice, aren't they? Watching old Fawlty Towers episodes has given us some good conversations about racism and satire.

We love maths homework here. Mostly because DH and I loved maths, and we always tell the kids they like maths. Ten years of sustained brainwashing has paid off. I'm not having Mrs Moops in particular falling for a stereotype threat that girls can't do maths. And thank goodness Oobiwoo is up to some interesting maths problems. I wonder when geometry will start?
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Esther » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I can only count to 4. All I need in my job really :lol: I think I would have enjoyed maths a lot more at school if I hadn't been in the higher level. At the very bottom of the higher level :roll: That idea that maths and music go together is a bit of a furphy.

I'm impressed that Oobiwoo allows you to help with his homework! DD1 very organised and only asks if absolutely necessary. DS has to sure death or worse is coming to actually do his homework (he'd rather be reading). We just have to help DD2 remember to look at her sight words, do a home reader now and then and help her practise her poem for public speaking.

And as a side note, nice to see the forum is still alive. I was just about to post a "hello???" message :smt006

ETA. I loathe the dead fish handshake. Very common with musos. And very annoying. Might be why there's so much air kissing :lol:
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby AussieBritLu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:44 pm

What is it? I keep hearing maths terms I've never heard of....maybe we call them differently in the uk?

Dd1 doesn't return to school until Monday....her school had an extra week off.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF'ing
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.
AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Postby freerange » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Esther, I had a similar experience with maths at school (except I'm crap at music :( ), I recently dug up my school results and they were actually ok - it's exam anxiety and saying "I'm no good at maths" that does me in. But I don't remember any maths terminology at all.

MummyWoo - I ended up giving my daughter some lessons on how to turn the dead fish into the real thing and DS on how to 'lean in' on a handshake to politely whisper into someone's ear that they need to sort themselves out, rather than yell at them. :lol:

I'm actually still really annoyed at the whole handshaking thing and how it shows the hypocrisy between this persons comments on supporting women versus their actions. Good thing it's practically the weekend.
freerange

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:04 am

Freerange, my former big boss was a 'male champion of change' who made a joke at an all-staff meeting about his wife's driving. Grrrr

Unfortunately, with all things 'women' and to a lesser extent 'diversity' being the subject of some attention and long-overdue efforts to improve, there are clever people in my workplace who see involvement in such activities as a way to advance their own profile/career, with varying degrees of sincerity. It makes me a bit sick.

But there are also great things happening. My workplace has an updated breastfeeding policy, for instance, and lots of support for younger women developing in their careers.

I think the dead fish thing is why I have quite a firm handshake now. Enjoy the rest of your working week and a great weekend. Go Brumbies!
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 am

AussieBritLu wrote:What is it? I keep hearing maths terms I've never heard of....maybe we call them differently in the uk?

Dd1 doesn't return to school until Monday....her school had an extra week off.

Hey Lu

What would you call the algebra equation you use to solve this problem? I was learning these 30 years ago - they might have a different name now! I've noticed a few other things do :)

A shop sells three pencils and two pens for 72c, and two pencils and three pens for 78c. How much does one pencil cost?
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby freerange » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Unfortunately, with all things 'women' and to a lesser extent 'diversity' being the subject of some attention and long-overdue efforts to improve, there are clever people in my workplace who see involvement in such activities as a way to advance their own profile/career, with varying degrees of sincerity. It makes me a bit sick

well, if you ever want a private debrief and swap of stories, let me know. I see it all the time too.

Back to maths - what are the questions with numbers in columns and row in square brackets, times'd by another square bracket of numbers called?

[4 7. [2. 3
3 8] x 7. 1]

And actually we're all behind, cos the kids call it 'math' now :roll: I'm sticking to the 's' at the end of the word :!:
freerange

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 am

Freerange - you have got me there - I have no idea what they are. We are only up to year 5 - are you ahead of us?

We used to do something called 'matrices' where we manipulated grids of numbers, but they took it out of the curriculum just as I started to learn it, and I never found out what they were useful for!
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Feebes » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 pm

All I am reading is blah blah blah!

:lol:

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby freerange » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:06 pm

That's the one! I did matrices at school, but couldn't remember what they were called or what they're for. An internet search was like blah blah blah to me too :lol: something about studying motion in rigid bodies, converting computing grpahics from 3D to 2d and quantum mechanics.... I have a strong suspicion that I have never used matrices in real life!
freerange

Postby Ducks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:08 pm

I did one semester of maths at uni before i decided i didn't need it for what i was actually interested in. I begged one of the tutors to tell me what matrices were good for. He came up with code breaking (how many of you do that daily?!) And solving multiple simultaneous equations. But i have no idea how to do them any more.
Ducks

Return to Parenting in general