Prepping my cosleeping toddler for her own bed

Discuss general parenting issues here.

Prepping my cosleeping toddler for her own bed

Postby Tiggle » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello

My DD is 26 months old and has been cosleeping or sleeping in her sidecared cot all her life. We night weaned back over Christmas and she is mostly sleeping the night through now.

Her dad and I are starting to feel we would like our room back. She has a king single bed in her "play room" which she likes to climb into and pretend to sleep in, but she hasn't shown any interest in actually sleeping in it. I think we will leave the move until after winter so we don't need to heat two bedroom.

Has anyone got any recommendations of good books we can read to her to prepare her for the move? Or any other tips?
Tiggle

Re: Prepping my cosleeping toddler for her own bed

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Just moved my little fellow into his own bed tonight. He turned ten just recently. He moves into my bed when he is sick and back out to his own bed about two weeks after he gets better - usually takes a month in total! So obviously I am no expert!!

One of the things we have found helpful with all kinds of transitions is making our own little book with pictures of the child doing baby things and then doing big kid things. With a little story about growing up and all the fun things big kids like to do.

We tried something lots of people recommend - choosing new bedding - didn't work at all for us! But some people like it.

Something that did work for my DD was putting her to bed in her bed, and promising that we would move her when we went to bed. That way you have your bed to yourself for the evening, child gets used to going to sleep in own bed, and then you can suggest after a little while that she might like to stay in her big girl bed? We did that for about a year and I can't even remember why now - maybe both kids in my bed were stopping each other going to sleep?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Tiggle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Thanks for your reply Mummy woo!

I like your idea of making your own book, I'll suggest it to my other half, as he is the stay at home parent and is always looking out for fun (and messy) things to make with her.

My DD has a thing for that little blue train at the moment. My mum found a quilt cover that was my brothers when he was a kid, it may do the trick & if it doesn't, it hasn't cost us any thing.

I like that idea of moving her back to our bed later in the night, it will save me worrying about her being so far away! It's going to take me a bit to get use to this move as well!
Tiggle

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Mummy woo! wrote: He turned ten just recently.

Holy moly, how long have I been on the forum for?! I'm guessing Mrs Moops isn't three anymore either!

Following this thread as we are going to shift our two into their own room/s soon.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby ~WildChild~ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Our kids are now 11, 8 & 6 & have been in their own room for maybe 2 yrs. All 3 share a room. We told them that it was getting too squashy all in the same room but they could always come back if they needed to.
Miss 6 hated it & slept in our room for another 12 or so months. One night, I was cleaning our bedroom & told her she would need to sleep in her big bed just for the night. She agreed, & has been there ever since!
We still have a toddler bed in our room & probably 5/7 nights, I wake up to find someone in it (yes, even the 5ft tall 11 yo LOL). Or they know they can sleep on the couch or wake us up.
For us, it was a case of them simply being ready & not pushing it.
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe
~WildChild~

Return to Parenting in general