Wanting to become a LC no health quals

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

Salbeaumont

Wanting to become a LC no health quals

Post by Salbeaumont » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:25 am

Hi.
I could only find a response to this from 2010 so was wanting some up to date info.
I would like to begin my journey to become a lactation consultant.
I have no health qualifications at all.
Will I have to do a Bachelor in Nursing or other health qualification or can I get away with doing a Cert III in Health at around TAFE?
I'm a bit confused about the pathway!
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Wanting to become a LC no health quals

Post by JennyD » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:23 am

I think its going to be hard for you, which is very frustrating. I did mine before they made it harder, and even though I don't use it, I'm working hard to keep it, as I suspect I'll never get another chance. There are courses that you can do that qualify you for the exam. The company I did mine through still exists, but I just checked their website and they say their health specific training is not enough if you don't have a health qualification. Although I don't think you would need a full bachelor of nursing to sit the course, just some of the units. I would ring IBLCE and ask them exactly what you need. I remember chatting to the nurses sitting the exam during the lunch break and they were finding it much harder than me, so my years as a BC helped with the exam much more than their years as nurses helped them. I am still not happy they changed it, because I think they are losing a lot of really good potential IBCLCs because of the restrictions. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 pm

I also did the course but did have a Bachelor of Health Sciences and had been working as a psychologist supporting indigenous women through pregnancy and post partum. That included lots of breastfeeding support. I also think you will find it difficult as there is strict criteria to meet to sit the exam. You'll find some good info here on various pathways http://iblce.org/certify/preparing-for- ... ification/

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Salbeaumont

Post by Salbeaumont » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Yeah it seems pretty difficult to even get a clear understanding from them!
I just don't want to sit in uni for 6 years if I don't need to!

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 pm

Salbeaumont wrote:Yeah it seems pretty difficult to even get a clear understanding from them!
I just don't want to sit in uni for 6 years if I don't need to!
I really have no idea, but with my Cert IV in ABA, that can leas me into doing a 18mths course with a dip of nursing at TAFE.

Not very helpful at all.........

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

A+D

Post by A+D » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:56 pm

My understanding is that you have to be one of the recognised health professions, which they have a list of, plus the lactation specific education and practical experience with providing breastfeeding support and intervention. I thankfully have a health profession, am doing training with ABA, and will still have to do the lactation course before I can sit the exam. I am aiming for 2018. but might be more like 2019... I haven't contacted them directly yet though, so I am not 100% that this is the case, I am planning on finishing my breastfeeding counselor training before I get too far ahead of myself.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm

JennyD, I didn't know you were an IBCLC! The things you learn on the internet :lol:

I have heard the same thing, that many HPs find the exams far more challenging than experienced ABA counsellors, although a certain amount of medical knowledge is necessary. About 8 years ago, when I looked into it, you could still qualify for the exam without a HP qual, depending on having 1000 hours of BF-related experience (eg. counselling). One of the IBCLCs I met during DS3's early days was a teacher who had done her IBCLE after being an ABA counsellor for about 10 years. I've heard it's since changed, and although I dream of doing my masters in clinical counselling or psychology, I don't think that would be enough, either.

An ABA friend of mine is a dietician, who did hers after a couple of years of ABA experience, and our GL at the time was a GP, I think, and thinking about doing hers, too. I'm not sure if she did - I moved away, and I believe she did, after a few years, too.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Yes, I didn't know that you were a LC, JennyD, nor pseudo!

How long have you both been a LC for and do you use it for like your own private business?

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Bailey's Mum wrote:
An ABA friend of mine is a dietician, who did hers after a couple of years of ABA experience, and our GL at the time was a GP, I think, and thinking about doing hers, too. I'm not sure if she did - I moved away, and I believe she did, after a few years, too.
I've also heard quite few ABA counsellors using their Cert IV qualifications to get onto the path to becoming a LC.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Feebes wrote:
Bailey's Mum wrote:
I've also heard quite few ABA counsellors using their Cert IV qualifications to get onto the path to becoming a LC.

Feebes
True - one of our counsellors was going to do that. It takes A LOT of hours though. I can't remember how many, but she was doing helpline once or twice a week at one point.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:05 pm

I believe that for most, it's not so much the education part or the exam that is difficult, but rather the 1000 hours of support to mothers that is challenging.
But, As a profession I don't think *just* being an LC is very widely regarded, in terms of finding employment. Hospitals etc prefer to have a midwife LC, and private practice doesn't tend to be very lucrative. But it depends on what your purpose for becoming an LC is as to whether this is a big issue.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Salbeaumont

Post by Salbeaumont » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:03 am

My reasons are for the love of breastfeeding and helping others as my breastfeeding experience is so challenging.
I don't want I become a LC asa career or for an income. It would be an add on to what I already do (not health related).
I think I will begin with doing the Cert IV as suggested and go from there. If I love it then I might consider looking at getting a formal health qual.
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

Salbeaumont wrote:My reasons are for the love of breastfeeding and helping others as my breastfeeding experience is so challenging.
I don't want I become a LC asa career or for an income. It would be an add on to what I already do (not health related).
I think I will begin with doing the Cert IV as suggested and go from there. If I love it then I might consider looking at getting a formal health qual.
Good way to go and the course (speaking from someone who is purely on Centrelink benefits ie SFA income) is very affordable.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 am

This was just posted up on the ABA FB Page

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/lrc/education

Just some random information.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am

Salbeaumont wrote:My reasons are for the love of breastfeeding and helping others as my breastfeeding experience is so challenging.
This sounds like a plan and a really common reason for becoming an ABA counsellor or educator. A benefit of doing a Cert IV and working with ABA as a volunteer, if you don't need the income of working as an LC, is that it's a lot simpler (no invoicing!) and you can reach a much wider range of mothers who might not have the resources to hire a private LC.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)