Any LC's or health professionals here?

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

Mudcake

Any LC's or health professionals here?

Post by Mudcake » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm a registered nurse and about to start the BC training and working my way towards evernutally becoming a LC. Anyone else on here work with breastfeeding mothers in a professional capacity?
ImageImage
Trainee BC

pseudo

Re: Any LC's or health professionals here?

Post by pseudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Not anymore but I have in the past. I worked with indigenous women during their pregnancies and post birth and breastfeeding support was a huge part of my job. I did complete the Australasian Lactation Course but didn't go on to sit the exam. It was invaluable to me and my work though. I loved that job and did it on and off for 10 years.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Mudcake

Post by Mudcake » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:45 pm

pseudo wrote:Not anymore but I have in the past. I worked with indigenous women during their pregnancies and post birth and breastfeeding support was a huge part of my job. I did complete the Australasian Lactation Course but didn't go on to sit the exam. It was invaluable to me and my work though. I loved that job and did it on and off for 10 years.
Wow that sounds like an amazing job!
ImageImage
Trainee BC

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:25 pm

pseudo wrote:Not anymore but I have in the past. I worked with indigenous women during their pregnancies and post birth and breastfeeding support was a huge part of my job. I did complete the Australasian Lactation Course but didn't go on to sit the exam. It was invaluable to me and my work though. I loved that job and did it on and off for 10 years.
My aunt runs that course!
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Andypandy wrote:
My aunt runs that course!
So you're part of the Matriarchy, then :lol:
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Mudcake

Post by Mudcake » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I plan to do the course and sit the exam eventually. Going the BC route first though to get my prac hours up. I don't primarily work with breastfeeding mums but that's where I want to end up.
ImageImage
Trainee BC

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi mudcake, I'm not but there are a lot in ABA, GPs, MCHN, midwives, IBCLCs, nurses etc. I hope you enjoy the BC course. I think having the skills used in our breastfeeding counselling course are fantastic and they are very beneficial for anyone working with mums.

A+D

Post by A+D » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:45 pm

I'm planning on becoming an LC in the future, and one of my motivations in becoming a BC are gaining the hours towards that. I'm an allied health professional so will never get practical bf hours that way. I had other reasons for becoming a BC though, and am finding i'm getting more from it than I expected.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 pm

I was just reading about how to become an LC today... I'm an allied health professional.... A+ D, what kind of pathway are you taking to get there? I had a passing thought today so decided to look into it whilst fresh on my mind! :)
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Mudcake

Post by Mudcake » Fri May 22, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm not sure on which pathway yet! I have just signed up to do the BC training though and I plan on doing further lactation study in the future as well.
ImageImage
Trainee BC

JoM

Post by JoM » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm also an allied health professional (well I was prior to having children) and considering becoming a LC. How are you progressing with this nicwwjd and A+D? I'm just trying to figure out if I can get all the practical hours needed through the ABA.

A+D

Post by A+D » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 pm

I've been meaning to call the IBCLE, but haven't gotten to it amongst everything else. The website says something like 2 full years of ABA counselling face to face, 4 years if just doing phone counselling to be eligible to sit the exam, but it doesn't really specify what level of involvement you need to have in that time. Good luck with your investigations.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013