Intrigued and annoyed

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

PellyintheWilderness

Intrigued and annoyed

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 pm

This evening at our Steiner playgroup we had a talk by an early childhood/ kindergarten teacher from Europe. A lot of what she had to sat about the importance of sleep, daily rhythms, nutrition and so on was very interesting and made sense to me. But she also said that children should be weaned at around nine months, that they would not be able to sleep properly at night as long as they were being breastfed, and that breastfeeding toddlers was about emotions rather than nutrition. She was quite blunt about it, although she did acknowledge that it might not be something we wanted to hear. I made "I respectfully disagree" noises a couple of times, and after she left all the other breastfeeding mums made it pretty clear that they weren't going to take that bit of her talk too seriously...
I don't really have a question or problem, just want to vent/ debrief. Thoughts, anyone?
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Nedsmum

Re: Intrigued and annoyed

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm

You will find this concept also in Montessori 0-3. I view it as a "9 months in, 9 months out" philosophy which had a lot of 'vogue' with the early psychologists...

I suspect weaning, at around 9 months, is the earliest it can be done 'biologically' and the baby is able to go directly to solid food.

However, in practice, most people I know have not 'weaned' to normal family food, but to high milk or milk-substitute diet...rather than a 'mature' diet...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 pm

It is part of a social science concept called 'exterogestation / external gestation'...

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

To say that breastfeeding beyond a certain age is more about emotions than nutrition may in some cases be technically accurate, but my question is - why would you deny your child the comfort and emotional resource of breastfeeding just because its role in nutrition changes?

And my breastfeeding toddler nightweaned herself while still cosleeping at night and bfing frequently during the day. So there, Expert Lady.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Nedsmum wrote:It is part of a social science concept called 'exterogestation / external gestation'...

But it's a pretty narrow biologically-centric take on a specific concept that largely disregards the broader biocultural context, advantages, and normalcy of breastfeeding into toddlerhood and beyond, within the human species.
Image Image

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:08 am

I did not say I "agree" with the concept, only that i have come across it before and it seems to have a historical period that it comes from.... :-D

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 am

I think it is mentioned in Ashley Montagu's book "touching" ... Which was published around the early 1970's.

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:51 am

Nedsmum wrote:I did not say I "agree" with the concept, only that i have come across it before and it seems to have a historical period that it comes from.... :-D
Oh absolutely, Nedsmum, that's not what I was implying. Sorry! My wording probably did make it sound like that. :-/ I'm just a bit prickly about the narrow reading of social science concepts and their use to justify questionable opinion. Totally my issue. :wink:
Image Image

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 am

This sort of thing always annoys me. It is just one point of view, no longer evidence based and is being spouted as fact.

Not fair.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:33 am

Even if it was true, that BF was only about emotions from 9 months on, what is wrong with that? Its a bit like saying no sex once you've had all your kids because sex is only for procreation :)