Dolls

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

ClOuD_NiNe

Dolls

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:46 am

My parents were visiting last week and they bought DD a doll... One with a bottle permanently attached to her hand :? They have absolutely no idea that they've done anything wrong and I don't think they would understand even if I explained it to them. Mum formula fed my brothers and I and doesn't really understand my passion for breastfeeding. I'm thinking of giving it away and if they ask later down the track saying that we lost it... Does that just make me chicken sh*t?? Or should I "man up" and tell them the truth? I don't want it in my house, DD has never had a bottle and it just feels wrong to me. If the bottle was separate I would just throw it away but unfortunately it's not that simple!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Dolls

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 am

You will have to tell them if there are rules for toys - otherwise it will only get worse. We are trying to hold the line on 'no princess cr@p' in our house, and it is a constant battle with people bush lawyering us and saying 'oooohhh, but it is for fairies' or 'ooohh but it is so pretty' :evil:

Good luck - hope your mum is receptive.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 am

It is a really hard line isn't it. I am a chicken, so I would accidentally lose the toy but I so see value in saying something so that it does not happen again.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 am

This could be a great opportunity to speak to your mum about the sorts of things you are not happy with. I do find it can trickier to talk to family about these things than other people though.

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:58 am

It's hard to talk to my mum about anything really, she is the sort of person that is always right. I think that's why I ended up a very non-argumentative person, because in our house there was never any point in arguing as she would never really listen to your point of view and certainly wouldn't let you win an argument! I'll have to think about how I would approach a conversation like that with her.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 am

if you did decide to talk to her about it, the doll could just be put out the way and forgotten about for now until youre ready

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I vote lose the doll until you are ready to deal... or write your mum a note explaining your reasons.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Meh! I 'lose' offensive toys all the time. Noisy toys, anything with army stuff on it, anything I deem sexist or in bad taste. I feel no obligation to explain, I just chuck it in the bin and feel liberated at how ungrateful I am : )
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Snake Hips Mcroy wrote:Meh! I 'lose' offensive toys all the time. Noisy toys, anything with army stuff on it, anything I deem sexist or in bad taste. I feel no obligation to explain, I just chuck it in the bin and feel liberated at how ungrateful I am : )
Heh heh. Being ungrateful is very satisfying sometimes, isn't it?
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months