Toddler Formula

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Toddler Formula

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm

It's in the news. With a link to some excellent research and all - http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... ealth.aspx. So ... discuss ...
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Toddler Formula

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Ooh - I saw the article in Choice (we subscribe) and I was surprised you weren't quoted.

Back to discuss later.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

The comments on the ABC News Breakfast FB page were reasonable, which suprised me!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 pm

As are the comments on the Choice FB post - oh my.

More people on the Choice page have commented on the advertising loop hole than on the ABC page when I looked at it earlier.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Ooh - I saw the article in Choice (we subscribe) and I was surprised you weren't quoted.

Back to discuss later.
They spoke to my supervisor but I'm surprised she didn't send them to me ... or the published works. That said, she may well have done and the journo didn't see the value in making another phone call. (Supervisor normally txts me to let me know if there have been enquiries re toddler formula marketing but she's had a lot on her mind lately.)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:26 am

"CHOICE contacted non code compliant company for a response to the study’s findings. non code compliant company spokesperson Margaret Stuart said that while the company is “committed complying with the WHO Code on the marketing of breast-milk substitutes and the MAIF agreement”, toddler or junior milks are out of the scope of the agreement and advertising of those products is allowed.

Read more: http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... z37ZxWNwBe"

Bullshit.non code compliant company don't follow the WHO Code at all - they exploit the gaps between the MAIF and the WHO Code constantly! They could argue that they follow MAIF perhaps but heaps of what they do is non WHO Code!
Last edited by Little Tiggermum on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: brand name
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 am

Of course toddler/ junior milks are out of the scope of the agreement - their invention post-dates the agreement and they were almost certainly developed as a back door/ loop-hole exploitation mechanism :evil:
I have to say, though, I think they have their uses for nutritionally compromised extremely fussy eaters, although I'd like to see the sugar content substantially reduced. Available on prescription only, perhaps?
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:39 am

PellyintheWilderness wrote:I have to say, though, I think they have their uses for nutritionally compromised extremely fussy eaters, although I'd like to see the sugar content substantially reduced. Available on prescription only, perhaps?
Actually, I disagree. There are much cheaper, more precise and less sugared ways to supplement the diets of nutritionally compromised kids. (Powdered milk and a dose of mulit-vitamin/mineral supplement for example.) Most mothers think their kids are 'fussy' or just don't eat well enough. The market research identifies our concerns and the marketing is designed to amplify them and then to offer a 'simple' solution. Mothers are evolutionarily programmed to be over-vigilant about their kids getting enough to eat. Marketing has changed our concerns from "enough food" to "enough nutrients/vitamins/EFAs/whatever". Actually, most Aussie kids get enough to eat. True deficiencies are rare and the marketing of this stuff pokes around with our latent fears that 'maybe he's not getting enough ...'
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am

Penguin wrote:"CHOICE contacted non code compliant company for a response to the study’s findings. non code compliant company spokesperson Margaret Stuart said that while the company is “committed complying with the WHO Code on the marketing of breast-milk substitutes and the MAIF agreement”, toddler or junior milks are out of the scope of the agreement and advertising of those products is allowed.

Bullshit. non code compliant company don't follow the WHO Code at all - they exploit the gaps between the MAIF and the WHO Code constantly! They could argue that they follow MAIF perhaps but heaps of what they do is non WHO Code!
They don't even adhere to MAIF. They have watered it down and down and down so that the execution is unrecogisable in some areas compared to the actual wording. (Especially with regard to distribution of samples and seeking contact with families.)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:56 am

want to come back and comment properly but im in the middle of moving (so i should be packing) and Ill try come back later.

In summary, the marketing of toddlers formulas really pisses me off, Just one of the ways they undermine breastfeeding. Toddler formula is general is a load of crock. :evil:

I want to read your full paper when I get time N

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:04 pm

breastfeedingisnormal wrote:
PellyintheWilderness wrote:I have to say, though, I think they have their uses for nutritionally compromised extremely fussy eaters, although I'd like to see the sugar content substantially reduced. Available on prescription only, perhaps?
Actually, I disagree. There are much cheaper, more precise and less sugared ways to supplement the diets of nutritionally compromised kids. (Powdered milk and a dose of mulit-vitamin/mineral supplement for example.) Most mothers think their kids are 'fussy' or just don't eat well enough. The market research identifies our concerns and the marketing is designed to amplify them and then to offer a 'simple' solution. Mothers are evolutionarily programmed to be over-vigilant about their kids getting enough to eat. Marketing has changed our concerns from "enough food" to "enough nutrients/vitamins/EFAs/whatever". Actually, most Aussie kids get enough to eat. True deficiencies are rare and the marketing of this stuff pokes around with our latent fears that 'maybe he's not getting enough ...'
True. I take that back. I remain sympathetic towards mothers who are concerned about their children's food intake and want a simple solution - after all, we extended breastfeeders can give our toddlers a more-or-less complete food, and it's natural that non-breastfeeders should want that too. Which proves your point about the marketing...
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Of course, Pelly. My passion for disclosing the evils of marketing shouldn't be confused with disdain for consumer who are taken in by it. It's so sophisticated, it's impossible to avoid. A quick glance around my house would show you that :oops: :wink: Almost without exception, mothers are doing the very best they can with the resources available to them. I just get so :evil: :evil: :evil: when I see them exploited when it would be reasonably simple to enact legislation to protect them.
*sigh*
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:50 pm

breastfeedingisnormal wrote:
Penguin wrote:"CHOICE contacted non code compliant company for a response to the study’s findings. non code compliant company spokesperson Margaret Stuart said that while the company is “committed complying with the WHO Code on the marketing of breast-milk substitutes and the MAIF agreement”, toddler or junior milks are out of the scope of the agreement and advertising of those products is allowed.

Bullshit. non code compliant company don't follow the WHO Code at all - they exploit the gaps between the MAIF and the WHO Code constantly! They could argue that they follow MAIF perhaps but heaps of what they do is non WHO Code!
They don't even adhere to MAIF. They have watered it down and down and down so that the execution is unrecogisable in some areas compared to the actual wording. (Especially with regard to distribution of samples and seeking contact with families.)
That's what I meant - at least with the MAIF they could twist it and spin it to come up with something that they could possibly argue compliance in a really stretched and manipulated way, but their WHO Code violations are blatant. There's no way they can spin their baby club and freebies as WHO code compliant.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 pm

And in a who code generally conversation, I think breast pumps should be a part of it. Some of the breast pump advertising is pretty shameful and undermines breastfeeding.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Penguin wrote:And in a who code generally conversation, I think breast pumps should be a part of it. Some of the breast pump advertising is pretty shameful and undermines breastfeeding.
That is why we no longer carry advertising from one pump company in Essence.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either