Societies influence

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

Feebes

Societies influence

Post by Feebes » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:09 am

This is just a personal post, nothing at all important!

My youngest was breastfeed til 2 1/2 years and rarely had EBM in a bottle. She's now nearly 4.

Feeling a bit deflated as with all of dolls etc, she 'feeds' the baby via a bottle. She use to pretend breastfeed.

Was quietly hoping that she found that breastfeeding would be the natural way to feed her dolls etc.

Do you think that this is a society thing or just a kid thing?

How do your young kids feed their dolls etc?

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

pseudo

Re: Societies influence

Post by pseudo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:31 am

Both of my boys have only 'breastfed' their babies but we've never needed bottles so have never had any in the house. They've also never really been exposed to bottle feeding as my sister, cousins, close friends etc have all breastfed for 2 years or more. DS2 is 2 now and loves to give his baby "mookie" :). DS1 is nearly 7 and only realised last year that some babies get fed from a bottle. I don't think he ever took notice as he would have been exposed to it at shopping centres, etc.

But, yes, I think you are right in that it is society's norm to bottle feed babies and your DD would have picked up on that.

Edited to add, I hope you are doing okay xx.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:08 am

My mum used to throw away any bottles or dummies that came with toy dollies...it is one way to reduce or minimize the stimulus...sort of like the same way we do not have pretend food that is labelled like mass marketed takeaway food, to reduce the reinforcement of the marketing.
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:38 am

It's only since I've been breastfeeding that I've noticed how many dolls are sold with a bottle. My son has been exposed to bottles, but I would probably throw out toy bottles.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Canola

Post by Canola » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 pm

My no dummy breasted for 14 months baby loves to feed her dollies a bottle and walks around with her Dolly's' dummy in her mouth and calls it her 'fum' (thumb). I figure she will hear all about how she breasted beautifully. I can still get a small amount of milk out of one side and my kids think it's a great trick! I don't remember feeding as a baby but still wanted to feed desperately. And saw it as awesome. I think it's more about the talk and exposure within your family that will determine how she wants to feed her real babies one day.
Natural conception - Due 4 February 2016
Natural Conception - Loss at 4 weeks Mar 2015
Natural conception - DD May 2012
Natural conception - Loss at 12 weeks May 2011
IVF- DS August 09

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Canola wrote:I think it's more about the talk and exposure within your family that will determine how she wants to feed her real babies one day.
I agree with this. I saw bottles as essential and, even with planning to breastfeed, was going to express so that I could get a break. I'm from a ff background and babies always had bottles around me. I hope one day I have a daughter to help her to breastfeed. I can only open the conversation with my son.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I throw away the bottles and dummies that come with the baby dollies, and Mrs Moops knows not to even ask for a dolly with a bottle at the shops - we choose one that comes without a bottle. When the bottles go away, Mrs Moops knows why the go away. And at 4.5 years old she is still breastfeeding herself.

And still, still when one slips past me she will play with it and pretend to feed the baby. DH tells her it is EBM in the bottles and that Daddy fed her EBM when she was a baby and mummy went back to work.

Drives me kind of nuts tbh, but DH has a point. So I grit my teeth and stew some more :roll:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Oh yep, I would throw bottles away too but we get our babies from the op shop and none of them come with bottles.

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:04 am

Interesting thread... The other day DS got given a goody bag when leaving a birthday party and in it was a short book about a popular and disproportionate doll whose name begins with B. B decides she would like to work at the hospital nursery with new babies. The book shows all the new babies lined up in cots, B gets to feed one baby a bottle and one of the nurses even tells her that babies need to feed every 3-4 hours! I started reading the book to DS but ended up changing the story and saying that the bottle had EBM in it and the baby needed to be fed every 2 hours :wink: when he wasn't looking I chucked it in the bin! Definitely society playing a part there.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

JMc

Post by JMc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:39 am

We don't own any bottles. My kids have breast fed their toys very occasionally, but mostly they don't get fed at all!

We have some books by Alison Lester, who I love, but in one of the baby board books there is a bottle on every page. It is often discarded and seems to have juice in it, but I have pointed it out and discussed it with the kids.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

Canola

Post by Canola » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:21 pm

I would throw that book too Cloud_nine! How ridiculous.....
Natural conception - Due 4 February 2016
Natural Conception - Loss at 4 weeks Mar 2015
Natural conception - DD May 2012
Natural conception - Loss at 12 weeks May 2011
IVF- DS August 09

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Canola wrote:I would throw that book too Cloud_nine! How ridiculous.....
Ditto!

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Jenbt85 wrote:
Canola wrote:I think it's more about the talk and exposure within your family that will determine how she wants to feed her real babies one day.
I agree with this. I saw bottles as essential and, even with planning to breastfeed, was going to express so that I could get a break. I'm from a ff background and babies always had bottles around me. I hope one day I have a daughter to help her to breastfeed. I can only open the conversation with my son.
I agree with this too. My DD turned 3 yesterday. DS1 (8) said something about when she turns 5 & informed me that when she is 5, thats when she'll stop having boobie milk. Both he & his brother had their last feed on their 5th birthday (my choice) so as far as he knows, toddlers & preschoolers can feed too. My kids know about bottles but thats far from the norm for them.
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

pfongk

Post by pfongk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:19 pm

My son was the preschool room community educator for a while there at daycare. He would get the dolls and breastfeed them and tell the other kids "no, bubbas have boob juice". He sometimes uses the bottles at daycare, but most of the time he breastfeeds all his toys. He's even asked the carers in the babies room "why no boob juice for bubba?", when the babies are getting a bottle.

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 pm

Go pfongk's kid :D He'll make someone a lovely BFing dad one day. Have to say, my littlies don't know what bottles are - they've never had one and our playgroup is full of toddler-feeding mums (and no toy bottles). DD was never into dolls, but used to BF her toy lion. Sometimes she would twin feed with DS1's tiger as well. She's the only one who's ever been substantially bottle-fed (EBM) so I obviously managed to re-wire her properly :wink:
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months