breastfeeding and high school

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

fellare

breastfeeding and high school

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 am

Iḿ teaching reproduction. Breastfeeding is not part of the curriculum (state school), nor is it in the text book. So Iḿ not allowed to teach it :( They say itś too value laden and you don't need to expose yr 8 kids to something like that as they won't learn anything from seeing someone breastfeeding (but we teach labour and birth!)

anyway. I've heard aba does go to school for talks. Do they bring a mum who breastfeeds? Or show video?
any way I could convince the school to include it?
Last edited by fellare on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

are there any aba resources?

I won't teach it this year, but perhaps in the future!

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Fellare

Good for you! Your local group could do a high school talk if they have the time and resources. My group goes to the local high school every two years and presents to a group in a course called 'child studies'.

It would be up to the school when and to whom ABA could make such a presentation. A good first stop might be asking your local ABA group what they have done in the past and who they dealt with at the school. If you are able to be involved it would surely form part of an assessment task for your training too.

In the presentation we try to have a baby come along for a feed, but it depends on who has had a baby lately! I did one with Mrs Moops at age about 14MO, and a couple of toddlers, and the students loved them (and got to see older children breastfeeding). We did a grab bag of true or false statements, a bit of brainstorming on the importance of breastfeeding, showed the tiny tums and Q&A at the end. There are some videos and posters around that could also be useful.

Good luck!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 am

thanks Mummy Woo.

what age were those students? which subject was it, science or health? I teach science.

Need to find out which group is in this area still, not my own group unfortunately. and yeah, would be awesome to make it part of my study too, who knows, I might get it finished one day LOL

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:54 am

My sister teaches high school science and covered birth and breastfeeding as a part of reproduction.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

keyfive
Counsellor

Post by keyfive » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 pm

I have a friend in ABA who is a teacher at a secondary school. She teaches breastfeeding to her students, although think they might be VCE kids...
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm

fellare wrote: what age were those students? which subject was it, science or health? I teach science.
Students were about 15 and the class is called 'child studies' - they learn about babies and children, development, how to look after them. It is an odd course that seems specifically geared to helping the girls remember to be really careful with their birth control until they are older (!)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

jessles
Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Post by jessles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
Students were about 15 and the class is called 'child studies' - they learn about babies and children, development, how to look after them. It is an odd course that seems specifically geared to helping the girls remember to be really careful with their birth control until they are older (!)
From my memory of when my friends did it, the best bit was smashing the babies (aka the hard-boiled eggs) by throwing them off the 1st floor walkway at the end of the parenting week.

I know we never did b/fing in health or science when we did reproductive stuff. They were more worried with us knowing how to apply a condom (in health) and I don't think we ever did reproduction in science.

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 pm

I talk about breastfeeding when relevant, but I don't do a 'breastfeeding unit' per se.

The most explicitly I actually teach it is Gr 12 biol endocrinology where we look at oxytocin, prolactin et al. I also use it as examples for various things.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS