Bottles in play at Childcare

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

dellywatts
Counsellor

Bottles in play at Childcare

Post by dellywatts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I've noticed that dollys have become a big part of DD2's Childcare room play lately which is nice because she is very interested in them and is taking about babies a lot with my pregnancy. Some others have also just become big brothers/sisters recently.
Anyway I've noticed a lot if bottles in the play area as well as an empty formula tin too. I just don't know how I feel about it. I don't like it, I do understand that although I breastfeed the other parents may not have and for those children the bottles are normal for them. 
And also I wonder whether there are conversations about breastfeeding babies, whether there's some poster that could be put up showing a mum breastfeeding?
I already took in a book that shows the mother breastfeeding for them to read to the children.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Could you ask the carer?
Does your DD feed her dolls?
You could always ask if they could put up some posters of bf and bottle feeding babies?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

dellywatts
Counsellor

Post by dellywatts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 pm

She does a bit of both, breast and bottle feeding. But we don't have bottles at home. I've seen her do when out.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing

Mummy Latte

Post by Mummy Latte » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm

I can understand that some people think bottles are OK, personally I'd prefer not to have it as there are plenty of other dolly activities to do apart from feeding. In our kinder there are no bottles, just clothes, cots and prams etc.
However, a formula tin is a bit no-no: 1. advertising is not OK and commercial products shouldn't be included in play, and 2. some of the tins have sharp edges on the inside so it's not safe.

Can you offer to do a BF demo? I remember BFing DS at kinder one day (just because he was hungry) and the kids were fascinated.

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 am

It's funny you mentioned this. Only a few weeks ago when I picked up DS2 from care, the dollys were out. He was to bf his dolly. I was so proud. He told his carers that babies drink boobies not bottles. Some of the other children then lifted up their shirts and followed his example.

I guess we can all educate our children and in turn they can teach other children.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:35 am

I was delighted to see 2 little girls (age 2-3) 'breastfeeding' their tiny dollies at DD's childcare the other day. It was so natural to them.

jessles
Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Post by jessles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

My DD1 came home from preschool last year telling me that babies are fed with bottles - even though she has seen b/fing pretty much EVERY DAY of her life (either me feeding her, DD2 or DS).

I was a little surprised just how easily she accepted the bottles and that that is how babies were fed. However, she has never pretended to b/f her toys either.

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:45 am

My kids went to a community preschool. I was *very* proactive about getting the bottles and formula tins removed from the home corner. In our case it wasn't difficult because the junk food boxes and plastic hamburgers, fried chicken and chips had all been swapped for healthy foods like vegetables, lean meat, muesli and milk. I simply pointed out that if we are modelling healthy eating at preschool, then bottles and formula had no place in the home corner and off they went. I was challenged once - but formula feeding is not unhealthy and some mothers ... My response was along the lines of, this role play is about modelling desired behaviour not reflecting actual behaviour. Most of these kids' homes will have beer in the fridge and chocolate, crisps and fruit loops in the pantry but we don't think it's OK to have those things in the home corner. The penny dropped and it only happened again once. A mother brought in empty prescription elemental formula tins and was offended when I removed them. I pointed out that although we had a diabetic child in the kindy, we didn't provide insulin boxes or syringes for the kids to play with and the issue quickly went away.
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 am

Isn't the point of role playing that kids get to process their experiences? If a child's experience includes bottles and formula, then how is that child going to process that experience if there are none available?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 am

The point of role playing is learning

Play and games provide preparation for later childhood learning and adult life
Normative play: cultural representation of dominant core values
Role play: allows children to prepare for customary adult roles that they are expected to assume by imitating the easily observed activities of the people around them

That's why there's an issue with bottles

Karleen

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

jessles wrote: she has never pretended to b/f her toys either.
Bella hasnt preteneded to give her toys a bottle or a breastfeed, however, she has given them coffee... :shock:

I think BiN has made some very valid arguments.

I would be very uncomfortable with the formula tin

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Role play is also about processing one's world. That's why children reinact disasters etc; they are trying to cope with what's happening and process it.

If it is important for my niece who had heart surgey to play with dolls with a 'zipper scar' on them like her scar, then why is it not important for children who have bottles as part of their world, to have access to play with them?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Penguin wrote:Role play is also about processing one's world. That's why children reinact disasters etc; they are trying to cope with what's happening and process it.

If it is important for my niece who had heart surgey to play with dolls with a 'zipper scar' on them like her scar, then why is it not important for children who have bottles as part of their world, to have access to play with them?
I agree with you, Penguin. Some children are breastfed, some not. Some have EBM in bottles. I think its ok for children to be exposed to both wways because both ways are accepted in society. DD has a toy bottle. She also breastfeeds her dolls (& attempts to breastfeed herself too but that's a whole different thread)!
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Penguin wrote:Role play is also about processing one's world. That's why children reinact disasters etc; they are trying to cope with what's happening and process it.

The issue is that they are not just playing, they are learning. They are learning how to hold a baby to feed it, they are learning how to get a teat into a baby's mouth....transfer those skills into breastfeeding (and women do!) and you're looking at breastfeeding problems like poor attachment and nipple trauma.
Karleen

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I have mixed feelings on the issue. I think it is important to normalise breastfeeding but my nephew has a baby that he gives bottles of ebm to.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015