Disappointed

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

miska

Post by miska » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:02 am

Hi: Was there ever a resolution to this? Sorry, I only check the forum every couple of months.

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 am

Not for me. Every avenue I took, noone was interested. I sent two letters to the IBCLC examiners and I didn't even get an acknowledgement for either of them.

I ended up ringing every shop they are stocked in and telling the manager that the cookies don't work and also asked them to let anyone purchasing them know that. I doubt my info would have been passed on during a purchase though. A friend of mine who is an IBCLC also rang stockists and said the same.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 am

I forgot to update on my experience, too - I sent a message to the maker of said biscuits, outlining three specific areas of concern. I received a response which very neatly miscontrued or overlooked every single one of those areas of concern that I raised. :roll:

I didn't take it further, but it continues to bother me immensely - not least because 'lactation cookies' are often the first thing touted on discussion threads etc as soon as someone mentions that they think they have a supply issue. :( Generally there is no questioning of: a) what signs make the mum think low supply? b) is the baby's behaviour just normal for that day / time / phase / stage? and c) if it is in fact an issue of supply, would the mum be willing to try any one of the many other proven techniques for increasing supply (more frequent feeding, for a start!!), before resorting to either baking, or purchasing, 'special' cookies?

Frustrating and saddening...
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

miska

Post by miska » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks. I have lost all respect for her with the biscuit thing.
I wish I had more time to follow up. I will talk to my friend who owns a major baby store to take it off her shelves. One less store! I don't want to muddy the 'breastfeeding' 'attachment parenting' brand too much, so might just suss out the rest of it with friends in the advertising industry, to see what they think.

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I actually think 2 positive changes have occurred since complaints were made.
The first is that I have noticed it pitched as more of a treat, rather than a galactagogue. Secondly, the manufacturer has distanced her professional brand a bit by creating a blog and FB page solely for the bikkies. I hope this means people after parenting advice will not see the bikkie stuff as much.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

miska

Post by miska » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks AndyPandy, that was what I was getting at with the muddy thing. I didn't want to make a big thing about the 'issue' which might then make people think all lactation counsellors/attachment parenting advocates can be painted with the same brush. She has a reasonable public profile. Yes, marketed as a treat alone, they can be categorised differently.

EllieS

Post by EllieS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Just came across this thread....having been bombarded with emails / FB updates and banner ads re this product I thought I'd check out the ingredients out of curiosity. The sugar content alone will make for unsettled babbies if consumed regularly enough! Disappointing indeed :(

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:38 pm

EllieS wrote:Just came across this thread....having been bombarded with emails / FB updates and banner ads re this product I thought I'd check out the ingredients out of curiosity. The sugar content alone will make for unsettled babbies if consumed regularly enough! Disappointing indeed :(
One of our local group's newer members recently posted a link to the product in question in our private Facebook group and asked our opinion on biscuits for increasing supply. So, it certainly is getting out there.

I wasn't sure what to do, but felt that I should at least say something. I ended up just saying there had been a lot of forum discussion about this product, and that I was personally concerned that mums' confidence in their body's ability to provide for their baby was being undermined by the product and it's marketing, and that it would be best to actually see an LC or HP if a mum fears she has low supply, rather than relying on a single product.

The poster replied saying she originally didn't even realise that the 'article' or page was flogging an actual product.

It just makes me so sad that something like this undermines the community's understanding of how breastfeeding works, and further erodes women's confidence. :cry:

EllieS

Post by EllieS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Undermined by a lactation consultant, of all people....

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Hmm, I've noticed the FB bombardment for the product as well, unfortunately. I've also noticed that 'lactation cookies' have become a very, very common response whenever anybody posts a query relating to perceived supply issues (either in breastfeeding or attachment parenting forums I'm part of). It used to be that I only really saw lactation cookies heavily promoted in some US-based forums - but now it's certainly creeping in here, as well.

It makes me feel frustrated and, frankly, angry for these poor women - honestly, if you don't have a supply issue, don't waste all that precious time and effort (and money!) on trying to fix that which ain't broke! Just enjoy time with your baby, and trust in your body - because, in most cases, both are doing fine. And any LC or ABA counsellor would help you to understand that...
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Gwen's Mum wrote: if you don't have a supply issue, don't waste all that precious time and effort (and money!) on trying to fix that which ain't broke! .
And if you DO have a supply issue, then you need to find out the cause and therefore how to fix/ manage it. Cookies ain't gonna do jack.
Gwen's Mum wrote: And any LC or ABA counsellor would help you to understand that...
You would expect a lot more from an IBCLC, hey? :roll: :(
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Penguin

Re: Disappointed

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:28 am

Now she's put up an article about how fenugreek, dopermerrone etc and the dangers of them and lack of evidence and need to get proper breastfeeding help if needed. THEN IN THE SAME FREAKING ARTICLE links to 'nutritious snacks'. How disgusting and hypocritical. What shameless marketing.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Vahvempi

Post by Vahvempi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Penguin wrote:Now she's put up an article about how fenugreek, dopermerrone etc and the dangers of them and lack of evidence and need to get proper breastfeeding help if needed. THEN IN THE SAME FREAKING ARTICLE links to 'nutritious snacks'. How disgusting and hypocritical. What shameless marketing.
say whaaaaaaat????????

For reals??

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Vahvempi wrote:
Penguin wrote:Now she's put up an article about how fenugreek, dopermerrone etc and the dangers of them and lack of evidence and need to get proper breastfeeding help if needed. THEN IN THE SAME FREAKING ARTICLE links to 'nutritious snacks'. How disgusting and hypocritical. What shameless marketing.
say whaaaaaaat????????

For reals??

for total reals. Have PMed you.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Appalling.