Disappointed

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Penguin wrote:Does anyone know what/ if we can do to get ABA involved? Eg can we somehow get ABA to issue a statement saying that these biscuits (or biscuits in general) aren't useful/ necessary in increasing/ maintaining supply? What would the process be for that to happen? Is it possible?
Hi Penguin

If you are interested in ABA involvement, I would suggest you make contact with the National Advocacy Manager - her details will be in the national directory and you may also be able to find them in the subscribers only section of the website. The Advocacy Team are always interested in building their team of volunteers. You might also discuss with your Branch President.

Cheers

MW
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

User avatar
AbbeyCat
Trainee
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Post by AbbeyCat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:26 am

OK, I have just sent off my email (and a Facebook PM) to well known person. :D Really hoping she does respond to my concerns (which are basically the same concerns as all of you other lovely ladies). I have mentioned how much I love her regular articles, and my disappointment in the information given on the milk biscuits website (I've quoted certain sections of it, then listed my concerns). I have also stated the sections of the IBCLC Code of Professional Conduct that I feel she is breaching, and said I am yet to make a formal complaint as I believe she should have the right to respond to my concerns first. I haven't really gone down the side of there is no proof the bikkies work, as this is not really an area I am familiar with. I've approached it as a concerned new Mum (which I am) who wants every new Mum to have the opportunity to get accurate, non-sensationalised information, especially from an IBCLC and trusted author.

Brand names removed according to CoE - Mod Team

Sorry Mod Team. Thanks for fixing.
Last edited by AbbeyCat on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Penguin
Posts: 10031
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Did anyone get a screenshot on Facebook before my comments were deleted?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Image

User avatar
mooki
Site Admin
Posts: 16787
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Post by mooki » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

maayyybeeeeeee :-.

pseudo
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Post by pseudo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 pm

mooki wrote:maayyybeeeeeee :-.
I was just coming on to say that I think Mooki got one.

After you posted what you did Penguin, I wrote that I have the same concerns and I'm pretty sure that nothing was written after that.
Image

Image

Storked by the lovely Lu!

User avatar
Penguin
Posts: 10031
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

pseudo wrote:
mooki wrote:maayyybeeeeeee :-.
I was just coming on to say that I think Mooki got one.

After you posted what you did Penguin, I wrote that I have the same concerns and I'm pretty sure that nothing was written after that.
Thanks Mooki!

Yes pseudo, I saw your comment. I think some the comments got up to three 'likes' but that was about it.

Working on a plan from here. I think I know what I will do but I want to think on it a bit.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Image

Squip
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Post by Squip » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok can someone please pm me here I'm not sure who the person is? Ta :-)
Squippy

Squip
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Post by Squip » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Ok got it thanks :-)

Disappointing!!
Squippy

User avatar
Mummy Latte
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by Mummy Latte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm

The conspiracy gets worse - now she's "liking" a facebook page promoting meal replacement smoothies that contain ingredients that "help support your milk supply". Interesting that they've recently started posting about "lactation cookies"... :roll:

pseudo
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Post by pseudo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I think I am going to ring all the stockists and let them know that there is not a shred of evidence based information behind these biscuits so, at least they might look into it a bit more before they just take it as gospel. I did that with the baby shops in Adelaide and they were shocked to hear what I had to say. I'm sure they will still sell them but they might approach it differently and not tell mums that it is a sure fire way to increase supply.
Image

Image

Storked by the lovely Lu!

User avatar
Loli&Lulu
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm
Location: WA

Post by Loli&Lulu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 am

Mummy Latte wrote:The conspiracy gets worse - now she's "liking" a facebook page promoting meal replacement smoothies that contain ingredients that "help support your milk supply". Interesting that they've recently started posting about "lactation cookies"... :roll:
Facebook keeps telling me that people are "liking" pages that they aren't actually liking, based on the topics they are interested in. It seems to be one of their new forms of advertising. It told me DH had "liked" something that he didn't even know about (though it was related to beer so the type of thing he might be interested in).
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

User avatar
AbbeyCat
Trainee
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Post by AbbeyCat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 pm

The website in question has been updated. :D

Looks like she may be listening to our letters, despite not responding to any of us directly. Eg I queried what the 'forbidden foods' were, and she has now listed what she considers 'forbidden foods' to be. Also, I (and I'm assuming lots of other people) said that new Mums could end up relying on the product in question to solve any perceived lack of supply, whereas they really should see a health proffesional, as there are many other possible things that could need fixing or tweaking (eg. as she mentioned in her E-Book).

Hope it's OK to use excerpts from the website in question.

These are referring to the product in question.

Before:
..., with no GM foods, chemical additives or pesticides passing through your milk and no 'forbidden foods' that make your baby fussy as he drinks your milk.

Now:
..., with no GM foods, chemical additives or pesticides passing through your milk and no ‘forbidden’ foods (such as caffeine, chocolate, and naturally occurring chemicals such as salicylates, that can be found in otherwise healthy foods like berries and raisins (grapes) that are often added to cookies).

Just wondering though, are there really 'forbidden foods' other than caffeine, alcohol and certain medications?

And, the following has now been added:
Disclaimer: if you are concerned about your breast milk supply or your baby’s health, it is important to seek help from a health care provider and to get support for breastfeeding concerns from a lactation consultant, breastfeeding counsellor, child health nurse or GP.

ETA
Still not really happy about the product or her website, but it is now slightly less irresponsible. Guess I'm just happy for any little improvement, as I doubt the product or website will go away.

Also, not a fan of the recently added glowing testimonials.
Image

pseudo
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Post by pseudo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:26 pm

AbbeyCat wrote:The website in question has been updated. :D

Looks like she may be listening to our letters, despite not responding to any of us directly. Eg I queried what the 'forbidden foods' were, and she has now listed what she considers 'forbidden foods' to be. Also, I (and I'm assuming lots of other people) said that new Mums could end up relying on the product in question to solve any perceived lack of supply, whereas they really should see a health proffesional, as there are many other possible things that could need fixing or tweaking (eg. as she mentioned in her E-Book).

Hope it's OK to use excerpts from the website in question.

These are referring to the product in question.

Before:
..., with no GM foods, chemical additives or pesticides passing through your milk and no 'forbidden foods' that make your baby fussy as he drinks your milk.

Now:
..., with no GM foods, chemical additives or pesticides passing through your milk and no ‘forbidden’ foods (such as caffeine, chocolate, and naturally occurring chemicals such as salicylates, that can be found in otherwise healthy foods like berries and raisins (grapes) that are often added to cookies).

Just wondering though, are there really 'forbidden foods' other than caffeine, alcohol and certain medications?

And, the following has now been added:
Disclaimer: if you are concerned about your breast milk supply or your baby’s health, it is important to seek help from a health care provider and to get support for breastfeeding concerns from a lactation consultant, breastfeeding counsellor, child health nurse or GP.

ETA
Still not really happy about the product or her website, but it is now slightly less irresponsible. Guess I'm just happy for any little improvement, as I doubt the product or website will go away.

Also, not a fan of the recently added glowing testimonials.
I think it's even worse now. Only some babies react to those so called 'forbidden' foods, including caffeine, and now mums will think they can't even eat berries and grapes. She is seriously out of control.

I sent my official complaint off the other day to the IBCLC. I will let you know when I get my reply.
Image

Image

Storked by the lovely Lu!

User avatar
AbbeyCat
Trainee
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Post by AbbeyCat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I sent my official complaint off the other day to the IBCLC. I will let you know when I get my reply.
I'm thinking of giving her a week from the date I sent my emails (as my letter said I'd give her a chance to respond to my email first), then if I get no reply I'll compose and send an official complaint to the IBCLC people. Is it right that it has to be a letter with original signature sent to the US?
Image

User avatar
fellare
Posts: 7407
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am
Location: here
Contact:

Post by fellare » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:38 pm

those foods are not forbidden at all!

Research shows that caffeine does not have a significant affect on babies (although I'm sure it does on some sensitive ones). Sure, it's a horribly addictive food that has little health aspects to it (except chocolate, chocolate is healthy), but it isn't forbidden.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Post Reply