National Breastfeeding Strategy

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

Carrie
Site Admin

National Breastfeeding Strategy

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Important Opportunity to Inform Government Directions on Breastfeeding

Have your say in the consultation for the National Breastfeeding Strategy by following this link http://tinyurl.com/bfstrategy Answer the questions, make a comment, and email your response to nbs@allenconsult.com.au by 14th August. This Commonwealth strategy is being developed to identify priorities and action for the Australian federal and state governments to guide the protection, promotion, support and monitoring of breastfeeding. The Breastfeeding Strategy was a recommendation of The Best Start: Report on the inquiry into the health benefits of Breastfeeding - the report on the 2007 Parliamentary Inquiry on Breastfeeding

The Australian Breastfeeding Association is pleased to support this consultation, which has been commissioned by the Australian Department of Health and Ageing and conducted by the Allen Consulting Group. All responses to the questions are confidential.

You are encouraged to spread this through your networks.

Internal ABA enquiries about the status of this consultation may be directed to Alison Sneddon alisonsn@bigpond.net.au
Last edited by Carrie on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Carrie, you need to remove the . from the end of the tinyurl - otherwise it just gives a 404 error when you click.

Just FYI. ;)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 am

That didn't fix it, either. I'll track done the link I used and replace it. Thanks, cAt.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!

mimo
Counsellor

Post by mimo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:33 am

There's a '.' missing between tinyurl and com. The correct link should be:

http://tinyurl.com/bfstrategy
Michelle
DD - Feb 2006
DS - Apr 2010
DD2 - Mar 2013

Mama J

Post by Mama J » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 am

I have just send my submission and encourage everyone else to do the same! :-)

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:55 am

Carrie
I've fixed it ... hope you don't mind. I want EVERYONE to tell the government how important this issue is and how woeful the situation is for mothers who want to breastfeed.
Cheers
N
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:43 am

Thanks!
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!

Cupcake
Counsellor

Post by Cupcake » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 am

Apparently there have only been seventy comments made so far!

Skates on, ladies! Have you made your comment yet? Doesn't have to be a long one!

:-)
Two beautiful boys, Feb 06 & July 08

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 am

Today is your last chance to have your say by answering a few easy questions.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!

JC

Post by JC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I emailed my replies:
Do you think that support and the promotion of breastfeeding should be provided consistently to all mothers and women across Australia?
I'd like it to be consistent if of a high standard. If I found the support or promotion to be outdated, or influenced by industry, then I'd prefer for my health professional to improve on the standard advice.

In your experience, did promotion of breastfeeding while you (or your partner) was pregnant encourage starting and/or continuing breastfeeding? What things seemed to help the most? Why?
Midwives at an antenatal class helped my husband to understand the advantages of breastfeeding over formula. Prior to their promotion of breastfeeding, he had thought the two feeding methods were equally good.

Do you think that there is enough breastfeeding support provided to new mothers?
No. Anecdotes suggest that many medical professionals and health professionals offer ill-conceived advice that undermines the efforts of breastfeeding women.
On the same grounds, there is not enough breastfeeding support provided to other mothers during extended breastfeeding.

Have you or your partner ever sought or been referred to a breastfeeding support service or lactation consultant? What sort of service? Did it make a difference in you/your partner's ability to continue breastfeeding?
A maternal child health nurse referred me to a breastfeeding clinic at a public hospital where I received excellent advice from well qualified lactation consultants. It made a significant difference on both occasions that I visited, probably enabling the breastfeeding to continue long term.

How do you think breastfeeding promotion and / or support could be better provided?
People sometimes need to make complex decisions, and such decision making is prone to many biases. Research could be undertaken on the role of cognitive biases in clinical decision making and personal decisions, to address this issue.

Do you think that information such as the rates of breastfeeding (number of babies breastfed as a percentage of the total population of babies of particular ages) and other similar information should be collected on a national level?
I suppose so. However such rates should be used with caution as various factors affect their accuracy. E.g. hospitals encouraging the use of formula supplements can still tick the "breastfeeding: yes" box upon discharge; some mothers reluctant to admit to use of formula to health professionals.
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4

katsbi
Location: Brisbane (Storkee of Cap[DS], Slayer[DD2], and Penguin[DD3])

Post by katsbi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Carrie wrote:Today is your last chance to have your say by answering a few easy questions.
Thanks for the reminder - just sent mine off.
ImageImage
ImageImage