Where have you fed in public this week?

A place to find out what you can do to help make breastfeeding easier by
making the world a little more 'breastfeeding friendly'

MrsD

Where have you fed in public this week?

Post by MrsD » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm stealing this thread idea from another forum I visit because I think it's a great idea!!!

So where in public have you fed this week????

Me - at a coffee shop (got some odd looks), at the naturopath, ABA meeting (although that probably doesn't count :wink: ) and at our local shops - sitting on a bench under a tree.

Let's get out there and feed in public! !!@!booby @!##! !@!@!bftoddler
DD1 - Nov 06 (Breastfed for 2.5 years)
DD2 - Oct 09

laetificus_letificus

Post by laetificus_letificus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Swimming pool
:-D
Children are not the people of tomorrow, but people today. J Korczak

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:16 pm

Ditto - swimming pool (another mum was bf across the pool from me :-D )
Also at the work conference I went to - in sessions, at meal tables (this was a bit much for some of my older colleagues, though, I think :wink: ), beside the pool after a swim (on those incredibly comfortable sun lounges - NOT), in the car (sitting in the passenger seat, parked by the side of the road), in a swanky resort reception area...I think that's about all.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Delivery_Angel

Post by Delivery_Angel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I haven't had to feed in public at all this week. I don't mind though, LO is so distracted about what is going on around now and of course those $2 musical rides are like magnets at the moment.

We only feed first thing in the morning, last thing at night and 2 or 3 times during the night :D
DS1: bf'd : 1 year and 3 months
DS2: bf'd : 5 years exactly ! Woo hoo

klbubs

Post by klbubs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:11 am

This week DS was fed at:
Church
Shops
And Dr's waiting room x 2

We haven't been out much this week, we've all been sick :(
Kate
Mummy to 4 gorgeous kids

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 am

OK, after a couple of shopping trips, I can now add in the trolley at the super-long checkout line last night, and at the coffee shop this morning. :-D
Gee, I might actually make this my goal for the week - a new post in this thread every day. Nah, I'll just tell you now that I'll probably feed him at the airport tonight (picking up DH right at bedtime - grr) and definitely in church on Sunday. And probably at my counselling session at nap time on Monday.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:25 pm

nowhere, dd's feeds are mainly in her bed at night before sleep and in my bed in the mornning before awake, although i did give in to an extra one on the couch the other morning.

actually i am guilty of omitting to mention that we ares still feeding to some people at this stage of our nursing relationship. :(
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Does in DD's daycare room count?

And the daycare carpark last night....

We'll probably feed over the weekend in a supermarket somewhere too...
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

millies mum

Post by millies mum » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:29 am

At daycare the other day. My LO only has 2-3 feeds a day so they are usually in the morning and at night before bed.
I run a Parent group though and we have lots of mum's feeding throughout the session. It's great as everyones comfortable and it puts the first time mum's at ease when they see the other mum's doing it.

NightOwl

Post by NightOwl » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:05 am

In these early days it's more a case of where HAVEN'T we fed!

So far:

At Playgroup
At the local shops
At my Aunty and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party
At the park
In the dentist waiting room
At a cafe (out on a street table much to the delight of some passing teenage boys! :roll: )
*DD 04/06 - mimi for 3 years, 7 months
*DS1 02/08 - mimi for 21 months
*DS2 05/10 - mimi with a nipple shield for 18 months
*DS3 05/12- mimi for a year

vintage rose

Post by vintage rose » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:16 am

:-D In the outdoor furniture section at K*M@^T...I had a trolley full of things so instead of leaving the shop when Amelia-Rose was hungry I sat on a comfy recliner lounge and fed her there...I was preparing myself for negative remarks or stares but pleasantly surprised by the positive responses and smiles- one woman came up to me and congratulated me :D
I look forward to the day when feeding my baby in public doesn't "need" to be congratulated :-k

Louise

'No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted' ~ Aesop ~

Queen Be

Post by Queen Be » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 am

papoose wrote::-D In the outdoor furniture section at K*M@^T...
I have done this at the big hardware warehouse :lol: just sat myself down on the display furniture.

I feed DD in the park under the Habour Bridge with trains going overhead, made her quite distracted so it did not last long, too many other things to look at and seagulls to chase :roll:
Back for a very important mission

mimo
Counsellor

Post by mimo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:16 am

meme wrote:nowhere, dd's feeds are mainly in her bed at night before sleep and in my bed in the mornning before awake, although i did give in to an extra one on the couch the other morning.

actually i am guilty of omitting to mention that we ares still feeding to some people at this stage of our nursing relationship. :(
This was going to be my answer too, including the not always telling people. I generally reserve that for people who are likely to be supportive or that I think should know, like Mum's to be.

Anyway, today Sarah had her first feed in public for ages - we were at a friends orchard helping them with pruning the trees and I fed her off to sleep on a picnic rug with people walking by on their afternoon walks etc. It was really nice and I got quite a few smiles :)
Michelle
DD - Feb 2006
DS - Apr 2010
DD2 - Mar 2013

Maggie

Post by Maggie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:52 am

Hayden hasn't been overly interested in feeding this week, so I don't think I have actually fed in public BUT a few wekends ago we were at a family wedding and although I didn't intend to feed him there, he got very overstimulated and I knew it was the only way to calm him down, so I whipped out a boob from my strategically chosen crossover front dress and fed him with my hair draped over the exposed bits. I did get some funny looks - I guess you don't expect to see a toddler who has been bopping around on the dance floor, chowing down strips of grilled chicken and cherry tomatoes and guzzling iced water from a straw at the bar - all of a sudden lay down and breastfeed. Well they know better now don't they! (MIL was unimpressed :twisted: )

Castor83

Post by Castor83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:17 am

I fed DD last night at a family wedding, all I got was lots of smiles and encouragement and comments of "don't wean her yet, she's too young!!" :D:D it was beautiful as I fed outside overlooking the water.. so pleasant!!

I have also fed at the beach this week as well..
Ang.
DD (Jan 2007) - proudly breastfed to 2yrs 8mnth
DS (Nov 2012) currently breastfed
storked by the lovely Mamahen