A bit disappointed

For the temp placement of 'heated' threads and threads that generally breach forum guidelines.
Feebes

A bit disappointed

Post by Feebes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 pm

I e-mailed my local group leader saying that I had renewed my membership that that I'm ready to start the balling rolling to get my CE studies started. I indicated back in March that I was interested in doing becoming a CE but had to renew my membership.

So I got an e-mail back saying that she had received my e-mail and that she would get back to me about the CE thing. I still haven't heard anything. :? :(

My thinking is that if you volunteer to study to become a CE if your your local group didn't currently have a CE that you would be snapped up???

I'm a little disappointed to be honest. I'm wondering if I can go through another group that isn't in my town, its about an hour or so drive from me. My thinking is that if this is how things are with offering to be become a CE that I wonder then how much support I would receive through my training.

I understand that people lives are busy and all that stuff, but yeah!

:smt017

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

That is disappointing. I wonder if there are any other local training contacts? I know after my enrolment came through there seemed to be three or four people who became involved - you end up with a workplace mentor and assessor in addition to the gl and training coordinator. That might depend on the size of the group though, whether those are all different people. So if you were to train with the group it wouldn't all rely on your gl, but I do know what you mean about that level of responsiveness being a worry about how much support you would get long term.

How long have you been waiting? Is it worth having another go before going to the other group?

3 Little Woody's

Post by 3 Little Woody's » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 am

When did you email her? Does she work and ABA is her after hours gig?
I know our group leader has a busy life with her kids and job, so maybe give her some time?
I'm sure she is thrilled you what to train, but it's not always possible to drop everything IYKWIM?

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 am

I'm a group leader and sometimes I need to be chased about things.

To handle your CE application your GL has to remember her log-on to DMS, use the clunky search function to find the application to enrol forms, download them and send them to you, organise a time to get together with you to sign you up, run an 'About ABA' discussion if you haven't been to one, get in contact with the Branch Training Manager. And that is all if your GL trained under the new system and understands it - if she trained under the old system there is a level of 'newness' to deal with too.

And while doing that she is probably trying to organise the next bulletin, fundraiser, community activity.

How would you feel about offering to take on a group job - it will all count towards the training and would help your GL have time to get you enrolled.

Or just a gentle reminder :wink:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

BabyGumnut

Post by BabyGumnut » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:21 am

Hey Feebes,
One of my first interactions with ABA was similar, but in my experience it is worth persisting until you know a bit more.

For example: I'm a Regional Rep (you'll learn about what an RR does in your training but in a nutshell she is a supervisor to the Group Leaders) but during all of August and Sept I was very sick. I've needed all of Oct to get back on my feet and now I need to travel to Melb in 3 weeks for several weeks. So I have done absolutely no ABA work in the last few months, not even a Helpline shift :(

I hope you get it sorted soon.
Married & mum to DD 9 & DS 7 & DD 2. Got a teether/biter/puller/fiddler? solve it with
this Image click my 'www' to order

akinasmum

Post by akinasmum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I will be completely honest with you. One of the things you need to accept when volunteering is that everyone moves at their own pace. And sometimes this pace can be frustratingly slow.
I also think that this is NOT the place to be dissing your group leader. Get in contact with her, get in contact with your regional rep, other volunteers in your group.
One part of the code of ethics deals with talking about volunteers in the Association and I understand your frustration but a public forum is not the right place to be saying this. Imagine how your group leader would feel if she read your post?
Devil Womans Mum

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Mummy woo! wrote: How would you feel about offering to take on a group job - it will all count towards the training and would help your GL have time to get you enrolled.
I have offered and my offer got taken up but that is as far as I've gotten.

akinasmum, I think that your post is a bit harsh :( . I'm not naming this person, just thought that I would have heard something along the lines of 'I'm busy but I will get back to you with XYZ'.

I've been a volunteer for a few organisations and the moment that you say the words 'I want to volunteer', your snapped up like there's no tomorrow.

:lol:
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

akinasmum

Post by akinasmum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I am not dismissing your disappointment. But you are planning to work within this group. Within the area you live right? So you need to be able to work with your group leader. You need to find a better solution than commenting on a public forum. My concern is that this is a public forum not a closed ABA forum with only volunteers reading.
Try again, I have volunteered with the Association for over 5 years as I said the response of some is not as quick as others but that is the beauty of ABA you can decide what you want to do, especially as a CE. Choose your passion and follow it through in one or two areas only rather than everything. Make the hours suit your lifestyle.
If you were in my group we would snap you up quick smart. Try again. If it doesn't work contact head office and ask who your regional rep is, if that doesn't work then get in contact with your branch office. ABA does want you, trust me, they do.
Devil Womans Mum

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 am

Do you know when the next group meeting is? Go along to it and chat to your GL in person too if you can. My GL send emails out every fortnight and I know they have a FB page too.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 am

They recently had a meeting and I couldn't get there. But I will try to get to the next one. Maybe my e-mails get lost with all the other ones?

:lol:

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 am

I thought about this some more Feebes and I remembered that my GL just put me in touch with the Branch Training Manager to sort out my enrolment. BTM gave me all the forms and met me to walk through them, then I just had to get GL to sign something. Your regional rep, GL or a GL from the next group over, or head office should all be able to give you the contact details for your BTM.

Good luck!

Or maybe I can help you do all the paperwork by email, then all you need is to get your GL to sign something to say you have done an 'About ABA' discussion and you are good to go. Do you want to PM me your address? I'm at work today but we can probably sort this out over the weekend if we email and you have a printer at home.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:26 am

Can you download the forms off the website? I thought I got my counselling application papers from there. But it was over 3 years ago, so I might be making it up :oops: :lol:

And I have to say, my email account, esp the one I use for ABA, is a dirty great black hole, with over 1200 unread emails (mostly junk ones - I use the same address for any email that annoys DH in our family inbox :wink: ), so I can understand how your email may have gotten lost.

When I started ABA training (and long before), I was always very tentative about "bothering" people. It took me more than 3 years to actually even apply :oops: But I've learnt that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and that I need to speak up if I need help. I've gone from only having 6 units completed, to only having 2 left, all in the space of this year, because I spoke up, and in doing so, found the right person to help me.

Good luck, Feebes - I hope that you get it sorted soon, because we need people like you - people who are keen, enthusiastic and self motivated :-)
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Giggles
Counsellor

Post by Giggles » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 am

I agree with BM..you do need to speak up get to your group meetings be around so they go oh where is feebes?! sort of thing? once you become a fixture you won't be left feeling like this...and with ABA we are usually juggling a number of other things on the go and can't be aba focussed all the time.. i know it is dissappointing though to not get more info maybe reemail her saying you are waiting for the forms or what to do next? or even call...

stork..stork..stork...

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 am

I'll send her another e-mail and see about arranging a time to meet up. Thanks for your replies.

MW!, I will PM you my e-mail addy.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Popcorn
Counsellor

Post by Popcorn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:15 am

I really don't think that this is the place to bring this up!

I hope that if you do your training Feebes, you become more sensitive to the hard work and commitment that an ABA Group Leader puts in.

Edited to remove harsh comment* I am sorry, Popcorn
Last edited by Popcorn on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.