Outrage over baby shampoo chemicals

For the temp placement of 'heated' threads and threads that generally breach forum guidelines.
TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 am

I use a cradle cap solution foam for my son & it's awesome. He's got extremely thick hair (has since birth) & this stuff is amazing. REALLY hard to find though!

No way I'd use the popular brands though - think they're horrid.
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!

CD

Post by CD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 am

DS is 5 and I've never used shampoo on his hair. His hair is thick and grows quickly.
Breastfed 3yrs 7months

Mira

Post by Mira » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

It is essential that we wash DS's hair regularly as a. his scalp gets covered in eczema creams every night (which incidentally are steroids and a petroleum based cream anyway) and his hair becomes a greaseball and b. he gets so much crap in his hair- food, dirt, sand etc- and it irritates his scalp no end.
Mostly we use the non-soap wash we use on his body but sometimes I'll give it a really good wash with standard shampoo.
How on earth do people wash all the crap out of kids hair with just water? My DS does things like rubs banana through his hair, upends yoghurt tubs on his head and shovels dirt onto his head. Water would not cut it!
A new drummer is joining our band!

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 am

Mira wrote: How on earth do people wash all the crap out of kids hair with just water? My DS does things like rubs banana through his hair, upends yoghurt tubs on his head and shovels dirt onto his head. Water would not cut it!
Oddly enough, DS's hair does not get crap in it. The rest of him can be filthy, but his hair is ok. I wash it every night with water so it seems ok.

I actually think i should use some sort of shampoo, i am just lazy :oops: and what we have been doing seems to be working.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am

DD gets her hair shampood after swimming and if her hair is absolutley grotty, but usually just the once a week. Otherwise, just water.

CD

Post by CD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 am

Double post
Last edited by CD on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breastfed 3yrs 7months

CD

Post by CD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 am

For DS, it wasn't intentional. He just screemed so much if I was trying to wash it with non soap wash that I avoided washing his hair as much as possible. Which ended up with maybe a non soap bath wash on his hair once every few months or more (when I started feeling guilty about not washing). :? Other than that, just water or nothing.

Surprisingly, his hair is always shiny and healthy looking and clean.

Should I run and hide now!! :oops:
Breastfed 3yrs 7months

Ms Dee

Post by Ms Dee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 am

I use that brand all the time I thought it was the brand for babies all gentle and stuff.

I cannot imagine not shampooing DS hair - suncream with sand (I've tried just water it does not work), various food, boogers, mud and unidentified items.

Can someone PM a good alternative?
DS1 - 1st Feb 2009, BF'd 14.5 months
DS2 - currently breastfeeding...

MelJane

Post by MelJane » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:55 am

Big boy has had his hair washed on the odd occasion and showers and everything comes out. Little boy won't get his hair washed for a long while. We use products without the harmful chemicals on our bodies and hair anyway.

TwoOfem

Post by TwoOfem » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:02 pm

I've never understood baby and toddler shampoo myself. It even looks more toxic than the adult stuff. It was even electric blue at one stage! I am amazed that they still make it & that it sells!

We never used it, and when we did wash hair, it was with soap free products. I was adamant that I would not by any of a certain company's baby products anyway.
Two of 'em!

*Thank you ames for the care bear avatar!

tessabirdy

Post by tessabirdy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm with Mira and Ms Dee - my DD's hair gets so much crap in it, water just doesn't cut it. I wash it probably 1-2 times a week with a cheap shampoo that's apparently suitable for kids & adults.