relactation after 1 week of not feeding

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

relactation after 1 week of not feeding

Postby ~*familyof6*~ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi all,
My bubs is 3 weeks old and I fed her for the first 2 weeks,then last week we had issues and we put her on the bottle. I desperately want to feed her again.What are my chances? Its only been a week.

Re: relactation after 1 week of not feeding

Postby fellare » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

welcome and congratulations!

Your chances really depend on the reasons for introducing the bottle. It can take quite a bit to figure it out and you may need a bit of support. Have you called the helpline? They can go through the specific issues and give you things to try. Have you visited your local group? there are counsellors there to help and support you.

Have you tried to put her back on the breast? Perhaps have a long warm comfortable bath together and see if she wants to latch on. It's still really early days, so, assuming there are no major hurdles, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to. It's certainly very much worth a try!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello! Welcome to the forum!
I would just repeat what Fellare said about calling the helpline. The counsellors will be able to discuss your particular situation and help you find some things to try.
Good luck!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm

I agree. A counsellor would be able to talk through your breastfeeding history with you and help you work out what's been going on and how you want to move on. I'd certainly think that after only a week with such a young baby your chances are good if your baby is willing and able to attach and if you are able to devote a lot of time to feeding over the next few days/weeks. It would also help to go over the reason for starting the bottle in they first place.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Postby Penguin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I would think so early on your chances would be good, of course depending on what issues are going on. Definitely call a breastfeeding counsellor on the helpline, good luck and please feel welcome to hang around here - we'd love to be your cheer squad!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding