7 week old baby i want to breast feed again

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
karaj

7 week old baby i want to breast feed again

Post by karaj » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi ladies
I have a 7 week old baby girl that I only breast feed for not even a week due to pnd reasons and not feeling connected at all.
Im wanting to start breast feeding again but am having trouble getting her to latch again (she had trouble to begin with when she was born).
Any tips, help or advice would be greatly appreciated as im finally ready to give it a go again.

Thank you I really need to do this for me and my baby.

snowie

Re: 7 week old baby i want to breast feed again

Post by snowie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi :smt006 welcome to the forum :D
Have you seen this article: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... astfeeding ? Spending time cuddling your little girl skin-to-skin either camped out on the lounge or in bed, or taking a nice warm bath together should help with the hormones that are associated with breastfeeding as well as help with baby's rooting instinct. This page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ions/links has links to videos showing babies breastfeeding - I found them helpful in the early days with my now 5yo girl.

The lovely breastfeeding counsellors on the helpline 1800 686 268 will be able to chat with you about your particular situation and offer suggestions as to how to go about relactation.
It may be worthwhile talking with a lactation consultant (who has the letters IBCLC after her name). A LC would be able to work with you to determine what attachment issues might have been present from birth as well as assist you with a strategy for relactation. http://www.lcanz.org/find-a-consultant.htm

Hopefully someone will come along soon who has personal experience that they can share with you. Let us know how things go for you and your little girl?
Never forgetting our angel babies

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: 7 week old baby i want to breast feed again

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi karaj

Congratulations on your little girl. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the start breastfeeding that you would have wanted. It is possible to teach your little girl to breastfeed. If you give the helpline a call tomorrow morning a counsellor will be able to talk you through how to get started (snowie's suggestions are spot-on).

It might not be easy, but with the right support you should be able to make it work.

One thing jumped out to me - you said you had PND. Are you taking any medications? If they were prescribed after you stopped breastfeeding you might check they are compatible with breastfeeding. There are options that are compatible with breastfeeding if you need to change. Please don't change or stop any medications without talking to a health professional.

All the best

MW
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either