Relactation after 5 months

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
ArielMack

Relactation after 5 months

Post by ArielMack » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 am

Hi ladies
The long story short is:
I had to wean at 9 weeks old and now my son is 7 months! I am not sure if it's going to be possible or if he even wants the boob again however I really want to try as I am in a better state of mind, although this topic is pretty emotional in general to me as I struggled with continuing bf, due to tongue tie, nipple thrush, misdiagnoses of Mastitis. Mostly the severe pain caused me great discomfort and no enjoyment, it got the point where my mental state was so compromised I started to get PND I had to weigh things up and wean him to fully on formula/bottle which quite frankly was the hardest decision and the worst day of my life (emotionally). I struggled so much because my goal was to bf, I wanted nothing more to succeed. And some would say yes you did do it for 9 weeks and I am proud of myself for that however I would of liked to continue.
So I have not completely decided to re-lactate; however I am starting to massage breasts and hand express, plan is to do that every few hours. I do have a manual pump too that I have used a few times. I have been doing skin to skin and having my boobs out in front of lil mister so he gets used to them and comfortable with them. He has put his mouth over the nipple however not sucked. I think I need to get some milk happening before he gets really interested. I am also going to make some lactation cookies next week.
My question/s: Am I going about this the right way? Is there anything else I can do to promote milk (apart from express/skin-to-skin/visualisation/cookies etc) without it costing much money, I am not really interested in going on tablets etc. I know I am going to have to have patience as it may take a few weeks to get some milk supply (I don't think I will have trouble with supply I never did). At the moment I am getting a bead or two on my nipple each time I hand express, it looks like colostrum but it could just be thick milk?
I really really want to succeed in this even if it's just for him over the summer until he is 1ish but I need some help and support. I know I am not over not being able to continue I can't seem to get past it and I tear up every-time I think about it so I need to do this even if it doesn't end up working to say 'I have tried absolutely everything' because this would be my last option.
Thank you so much for your attention.
Cheers
Ari
Last edited by ArielMack on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giraffe

Post by giraffe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I don't know much about relactation but just wanted to say well done so far.

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Best of luck. We're all here cheering you on.

Have you had a look at this page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/adoption? It has info about relactation.

And this page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... pplementer has info about using an SNS.

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

That sound extremely positive so far.
just wondering if you maybe hand express into his mouth when he's on your breast next time... and see what he does...
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

ArielMack

Post by ArielMack » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:21 pm

He isn't too interested in the boob at the moment he just plays with it and then gets distracted however I haven't got any milk flow yet so I was going to concentrate on that so that when I do as you mentioned I will squirt some into his mouth and I reckon he will be interested then. But it's getting to the point of getting enough supply to get him to do that so I am hoping the road won't be too long to get to that.
Thank you for the links I have read about re-lactation/adoption very interesting I think I am on the right track. I am not sure about the supplementer's I think it's an option when I do get some flow so he doesn't get frustrated on the boob when I don't have much there. However I didn't plan to feed him when he was hungry as he hasn't got that much patience I was just going to give him snacks to start until my flow got up. That's if he is interested in boob at all, here's hoping the hard work will pay off.
Thanks again
Ari
'Every adversity has a seed of an equivalent or greater benefit' - Napoleon Hill

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:43 pm

I wanted to chime in with my support too x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

manomummy

Post by manomummy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 pm

I too wanted to wish you all the best with your journey.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Good luck! Let us know how you go
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi ArielMack,
I'm not able to write much here, I'm preparing for an OS trip in a few days but if you want to talk on the phone, send me a PM and I'll give you my no. I've relactated twice myself (for adopted children) and I've talked to a lot of mums who have also done it.
Karleen

ArielMack

Already loosing hope

Post by ArielMack » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:55 am

he wants everything but boob but ill still try expressing and doing skin to skin I know its early days I just would love it to work I know it might take a few weeks. I just need some success and something going right for a change. I feel a bit hopeless all round. :(
'Every adversity has a seed of an equivalent or greater benefit' - Napoleon Hill