Relactating after 6 months

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Relactating after 6 months

Postby Mum2LnB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 pm

I apologise in advance if this is long but I feel it needs a bit of background.

My son is currently 9 months old. He stopped breast feeding at 3 months old due to a number of reasons. They included a lip tie, lack of supply because of this, stress at home and I would say some nipple confusion as well. Due to poor weight gains I was told to top him up with formula and this had happened on and off since birth. I was never happy with him stopping bf at 3 months but I felt there wasn't anything else I could do at the time. His lip tie was looked at by several professionals and they all agreed nothing could be done about it and that it wasn't affecting breast feeding, no matter how many times I told them it was.

Anyway, now that he is a little older I was wanting to try relactating. He is still having growth issues and now has several intolerances including cows milk, gluten and soy. I'm hoping that breast milk might help some of these issues and at bare minimum it can't make anything worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mum2LnB

Postby fellare » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

have you seen the aba booklet? it's got good information in it on what to expect and what to try. It really depends on your situation on whether it is hard or not. It is certainly possible, even adopting parents are able to breastfeed.

do you think there is still a little bit of milk? often there is.
have you tried feeding your baby? does he latch on?
how is your support circle? you'll probably need good support. We're always here to help and encourage.

the only rule to increasing milk supply is to feed often. the more the better.

good luck!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Mum2LnB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

No I haven't see the aba booklet. I have very little support other than online groups and friends online. I don't think there is any milk there. He hasn't fed in about 6 months. I'm not sure that he will latch without there being milk there. He hasn't shown any interest in being breast fed. I just am at a loss as to how to help him with his other feeding issues and though breast milk might help his tummy a bit :-(
Mum2LnB

Postby JMc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

I don't have any experience of relactation, so these are just suggestions. Could you try pumping to get your supply started and then try offering the breast to him with no pressure? Maybe have a bath with him (nice in the hot weather) or a topless rest together on the bed. Does he still wake over night? He might be more receptive when he is sleepy and not properly awake. Hope you find something that helps with the tummy issues soon.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Postby marie7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Does your lo have a dummy? Just a thought, I'm not a counsellor but could you try offering the breast as comfort to begin with? So remove the dummy if he has one and offer breast? Maybe at night might help too when he's sleepy? You could see if that would bring your milk in? Might be a good idea to contact a counsellor or go to a aba meeting to get more insight and information on the ins and outs of relactating. I think your wonderful for wanting to do this for your lo. Good luck. And stick around here for support. It's a great network.
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)
marie7

Postby Mum2LnB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi ladies. Thanks. He does have a dummy so I might try that. He only wakes at night to have the dummy put back in. Doesn't usually want a feed. I'm going to an aba meeting next Thursday.
Mum2LnB

Postby fellare » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/aba-booklets-2/breastfeeding-relactation-and-adoption its worth getting this. Are you an aba member? You can hire a hospital grade pump for cheap, see counsellors face to face and get more support. Glad you're going to a meeting, it's really worth it.

there is also a booklet on increasing supply, with lots of tips, which might also be worth getting. You can get them on line, but groups often have them in the meeting. They'll also have a library with books that might be of interest.

also wanted to share this page: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/adoption.html

having a bath together and lots and lots of skin to skin time. Perhaps even having him sleep on you in a carrier that allows skin to skin (mothers direct sells these too). Skin contact increases the hormone levels you need for breastfeeding.

I don't want to overload you with information, but if you feel like it, you can look up breast refusal, kangaroo care and tips on attachment.

It's doable! and we're here for support
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Mum2LnB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks ladies. Since my lat reply (I know it wasn't long ago lol) I decided to see if I actually had any milk left and guess what I DO!!!!!!!

I was so excited. It's only a few drops but it's a start. I know all about increasing supply as I had supply issues towards the end of our breast feeding journey last time.

We have carriers and we sleep together so I might use those times for more skin on skin. I'm going to work on getting a bit if a supply up before I stress too much about latching him. Of course ill try but I don't want to push him. I'm also eliminating the dummy as of tonight (unless he is too upset of course)

This has made me so much more excited to try this. I was worrying earlier today that I wouldn't be able to get any milk at all :-)
Mum2LnB

Postby Little Tiggermum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

you could try expressing your milk and using it instead of cows milk for him as a way of building up your supply... and you can definitely do it. there are a number of adoptive mums who lactate for their children to assist with the changes that are experianced and also help with any de-institutionalising that may have to be done. And thier children are often older :-D
go for it... and keep in touch cause we'll certainly cheer for you :wink:
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby JC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

This is a good site: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/
I remember looking at the Relactation Boot Camp advice when DS was small; it's linked from this page: http://kellymom.com/ages/adopt-relactat ... resources/

Let us know how you're going?
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4
JC

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding