Re-lactating for 4mo exclusive bottle-baby

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Re-lactating for 4mo exclusive bottle-baby

Postby MummyOnAMission » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

Hi
I am currently re-lactating for my 4mo little girl who has been exclusively bottle (formula) fed since birth. This was never my choice but an unfortunate happenstance at the hands of over-zealous midwives who traumatised my baby minutes after birth by trying to teach a LBW baby who was metabolising a lot of drugs from an extremely fast labour and even faster birth, using the old "smash and grab" technique. From then on my beautiful little girl would scream at my breasts. She latched once in the hospital using a nipple shield and had a very valiant effort at BFing. Unfortunately it was a one off and she was unable to learn and I was unable to teach and we had little support for either of us. I may have persisted after going home except my mental state was extremely delicate and it was more appropriate for us to bottle feed.

Unfortunately my LO is intolerant to formula and has confirmed dairy intolerance via stool sample. So I started re-lactating a couple of weeks ago and have been exclusively pumping with very gentle coaxing of my girl back to the breast. She had a very short suckle on both breasts this morning before her bottle which is promising. I am managing to pump about 20 mL per day. Clearly not enough for a chubby 4 mo but it is a start. I am also looking for donations of EBM to help her in the meantime.

Anyway, I have been reading a lot about re-lactating and there is so much information about getting babies BACK to the breast but there doesn't seem to be a lot about starting from the beginning with a large, squiggly, sticky-beak older baby. So I guess I am asking if there is anyone with a similar story who may be able to share with me their success.

I am on medication to increase supply, fenugreek & blessed thistle, nursing tea, and just made some lactation cookie dough. I am considering taking a medication before bed as well as I had heard this can help also but it wipes me out so would have to be at bedtime. I am expressing using a manual pump (waiting on delivery of a hospital grade double electric) every 2-4 hours during the day and trying to get up once per night but this is inconsistent. I have also developed a wicked case of carpal tunnel as a result.

Thanks for reading my novel and would love some feedback :)
MummyOnAMission

Postby MummyOnAMission » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:35 am

hmm last paragraph doesn't make sense I guess I'm not allowed to name medications??? i am taking the most common one 4x daily and the other one i mentioned is one for nausea.....if that makes more sense. hope i'm not breaching anything by specifying
MummyOnAMission

Postby Rachwa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 am

WOW! How impressive are you?! What amazing dedication to your DD!

I think Karleen may be the person on the forum to chat to - I will send her a message and I hope she will see this soon.

Have you tried calling the helpline? If the person you speak to isn't able to help you (but I'm sure they'll have some tips), they should have a list of the ABA breastfeeding counsellors who have a particular interest in this area.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and hope you stick around here :)
Rachwa

Postby Esther » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:49 am

Hello and congratulations on all your work!

This is a great site

www.lowmilksupply.org

Lots of skin to skin contact is great.

I'd also suggest seeing a Lactation Consultant. You can find one in your local area here

http://www.lcanz.org/find-a-consultant.htm

And you need a cheer squad. We're great, of course :-D , but you can also find your local ABA group here

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/contacts/groups

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby Esther » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 am

Oh and yes, the forum is set up to automatically moderate some medication names.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby fellare » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 am

wow, you are doing a great thing for your child!

Pm me if you need any info on donor milk. I've been donating and can tell ab it about it. facebook has a great page where people get in contact with each other.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Karleen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am

Welcome! Sounds like you had a pretty rotten time early on but you've made some really big steps towards getting your little one back to the breast! You sound really determined!

The sooner you can get that double electric pump the better! It will make a real difference (and no more pain!). There is a glitch with the forum automatically taking out some drug names. I'm guessing though that the drug you're taking is Domperidoone? Is that right?

As for coaxing your bub back to the breast it sounds like you are doing wonderfully. That you are being so gentle with her is great. ABA actually sells a booklet on relactation that contains a lot of info on persuading children back to the breast. There is also some info in this article (which is about adoptive bf but some of the techniques for persuading children to bf might be useful to you) http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjo ... tent/1/1/5 Lots of mums have been in a situation like yours and gotten back to full breastfeeding.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Karleen
Karleen

Postby Gwen's Mum » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Quick response (it's bath-n-bedtime here!) - but just wanted to offer moral support, and also mention that I took medication to increase supply (the one you're taking 4x / day) and found it really effective; but was unable to take the other one you mentioned as it completely knocked me out for 6 solid hours at a time. It's fairly uncommon in Australia for it to be prescribed for milk production reasons, I believe, as the alternative (dom) has the supply increase effect but without the zombification... :wink:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby mooki » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

jus wanted to chime in with some support :-D
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Feather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Just chiming in with some support. I don't have experience with relactating specifically but I did feed with a Supplemental Nursing System for a long time using donor milk. If that is something you decide to try there are a few of us here who have used them.

There is a Facebook based milk sharing group called Human Milk 4 Human Babies. There will be a page for your state and you can post your need for milk there.

Welcome to the forum :D
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13
Feather

Postby Penguin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I just wanted to offer you my congratulations and support too. Good luck! Please hang around on the forum; we'd love to be your cheer squad!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby MummyOnAMission » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm

thanks everyone for the support. I have been so blessed to receive a couple of offers of EBM donations. And will hopefully be receiving my supply lines in a few days so we can start using it to keep her on the breast. She has been having some little suckles and I am keen to start rewarding her efforts. She is way more open about playing around the breast too so I'm feeling positive that I may get my wish of breastfeeding her. I am also getting the details of a LC who is apparently legendary and comes with great personal recommendations. It is a hard road and some days are decidedly crappy. But I want to give her at least a full month of exclusive BM (expressed or fed) before she starts solids and it is looking more and more likely.
MummyOnAMission

Postby danigirl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Sounds like you are doing amazingly! Pumping is a hard slog, i hope your double pump is making it easier for you.
There are some great ABA booklets (plus shorter articles on the website) on relactation and adoptive BFing, and also on breast refusal.
If you can get to a local meeting that would probably really help too.

Have you needed to take dairy out of your diet, or has she been going OK with the breastmilk?

You are doing a fantastic job!
The more support you can get the better.
danigirl

Postby MummyOnAMission » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 am

so far she has been ok. I am dairy intolerant aswell so, apart from the occasional cheese binge, i don't eat dairy anyway. But the donor EBM that she is drinking is from a mumma who does consume some dairy and so far so good :)
MummyOnAMission

Postby danigirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Gosh - I hadn't even though about the dairy issue with your donor milk.
Hard enough to find donor milk without having to worry about that - good to hear that your little one is going OK with it.

Well done you!!! Good luck with your journey!
danigirl

Next

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding