Re-lactating for 4mo exclusive bottle-baby

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:36 pm

good on you for doing this! You've had lots of advise already. I just wanted to say that with solids, you can start any time after 6 months. So 7 months is fine too, if you want to get a month of breastfeeding in before. There is more time than you might have thought.
also have a look at baby led weaning, you might be interested in that.

good luck with everything.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

MummyOnAMission

Post by MummyOnAMission » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:16 am

yeah tell me about it. thank you :) the soy formula she is on is constipating her unfortunately and i don't have enough EBM to give her more than a 150mL per day which doesn't seem to be enough to keep her little tummy moving. But she was intolerant to the prescription formula as well so the soy was our last chance until my milk comes in enough or I can get enough donor EBM. Still working on it x

mrserin

Post by mrserin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Just another message of support - you are doing an amazing thing for your girl!! Good to hear that she is spending some time suckling on the breast, even if she's not feeding yet. You might like to try pumping straight after as the hormone boost from the skin to skin contact might help get more milk from that session :)
Alice: June 07 (BF 1y5m)
Oscar: Jan 09 (BF 2y9m)
Lucy: March 11 (BF 3y and a few months)

MummyOnAMission

Post by MummyOnAMission » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm

thanks erin. she has since started refusing the breast again :( but will book in with an LC soon to see if they can help me get it sorted

Denell90

inspirational

Post by Denell90 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm

I was very interested in your story and your progress so far. My little girl is 11 weeks and bottle fed from 3 weeks as I thought my breast milk was causing her issues ( turns out she had a stomach bug but I had already put her to bottle) the last few weeks I have really been down about not feeding her :( and have been considering putting her back to breast. I still have a TINY bit of milk present so was wanting to build my supply again I just don't know if i am being selfish :(

I hope it all works for you :)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: inspirational

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Denell90 wrote:I was very interested in your story and your progress so far. My little girl is 11 weeks and bottle fed from 3 weeks as I thought my breast milk was causing her issues ( turns out she had a stomach bug but I had already put her to bottle) the last few weeks I have really been down about not feeding her :( and have been considering putting her back to breast. I still have a TINY bit of milk present so was wanting to build my supply again I just don't know if i am being selfish :(

I hope it all works for you :)
Hi Dennell

Why not try letting your LO have lots of skin to skin and see what happens. It will be nice for you both either way, and you never know what an opportunistic young baby will take into her mind?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

MummyOnAMission

Post by MummyOnAMission » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Denell, Unfortunately I only managed to pump for about two months before my mental health became a concern. My LO is now predominantly on soy formula but has some donor EBM as well.

My advice to you is, if you want to do it, you can, but you should start now! My baby was too old to learn to BF (she had never done it), too long on the bottle and me too long without milk. You have the advantage that your baby will probably remember how to BF or at least have some understanding that food can come from boobies with the right encouragement. Re-lac is an absolute PIG of a job and you need to have awesome support from your partner/family/friends as you will be doing little else but pumping and trying to BF. It is hard but it is not impossible. If you choose to do it, see your doctor about medication to increase supply and find a lactation consultant or breastfeeding counsellor. Good luck :) Happy to help you as well if you need any advice.