Considering relactation...

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
Tash_was_taken

Considering relactation...

Post by Tash_was_taken » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi all

Ok so this is my situation in a brief nutshell - Ds who is now nearly 7mths was weaned onto formula at 7 weeks. We had severe attachment issues due to a missed tongue tie & even after we got it snipped he still wouldn't use his tongue to suck. I saw about 5 lactation consultants as well as frequent visits to the local ABA centre & tried lots of sucking training & none of it worked. Ds was thriving but it was ripping me to shreds. I was also recovering from an emergency Caesar & had complications from that & ended up with post natal. I wish I'd kept expressing but I know that I just couldn't at the time.

I've been considering relactation but with Ds being nearly 7 months I don't think he'd know what to do with the boobie anymore & he's got 5 teeth already with another currently coming through. So I don't hold much hope of getting him back on the boob, as much as I'd love to. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to rebuild my supply to express & bottle feed him, even just partly. I'm hoping to drop in to the ABA centre sometime this week & talk to one of the councillors there, but thought I'd see if anyone here had any experiences or thoughts on this. Am I too late?

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I don't have any experience with relactation, but I can certainly relate to the emergency caesar experience unfortunately.

In answer, from what I understand, no you're not too late:
1) you MAY be able to get him back to the breast - from what I've heard a number of mums of adopted babies/toddlers induce lactation, and with love & patience manage to get the baby/toddler to take the breast;
2) even if 1) doesn't work, the key to re-establishing your supply is stimulation, so if you can fit in enough expressing sessions (even if you don't get much/any milk to start with) you should begin to see an increase in volumes. There's an article on adoptive breastfeeding at https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/adoption.html - while you're not adopting, you will be relactating, so the same general principles apply - there are also some links to other websites at the bottom of the page.

Good luck :-)
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am

No advice to add from me other than to get some good advice and get the relactation booklet from ABA. I'm sure Karleen will be along soon (she wrote the book and the article linked above) and bfed her adopted child too - she's great for advice.

Good luck and congratulations on wanting to relactate. Good luck!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS