Relactation at 10wks old HELP!!!

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
SammiW

Post by SammiW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks for everyones support - every bit helps me keep going!

My clinic nurses suggest i change to 3hrly feeds via the SNS (which has arrived) and then express an hr after.
We tried it but its too hard on me. I was getting so exhausted and just felt drained. Weve gone back to 4hrly feeds breast first then the SNS and i express 2hrs after. Im up to about 30ml - 50ml with each express session so very happy.

I know 3hrly feeds would be better so will try again when i have a double pump - seeing as that will cut the 40min express session in half time maybe it will be a littler easier.

Just wanted to do a bit of an update :D
Cooper 14/09/09 Addison 17/12/11
Perfect little pidgeon pair :)

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Just catching up on your story now- amazing dedication, you are doing a fabulous job!!
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Sammi, You're doing fabulously, truly!
Might be worth trying more frequent breastfeeds between times when you're using the SNS instead of pumping. Breastfeeding and expressing and using an SNS is a lot of time. If Addison is willing to suckle without the SNS then that might be an option that is easier for you. How are things going with the supplements? Are you keeping a record of how much formula you need to use?
Karleen

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I just realised i worded that terribly.

Addison has feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7am and 11pm.
If she feeds well from me then i just top her up with 60ml of formula (or 60ml of EBM if i have it). She only just manages to finish the 60ml top up.
If she fusses on me too much i dont push her and ill add on the SNS so that she gets her formula or EBM topup and is happy to feed from me.
We are getting better and using the SNS less.
Addison doesnt seem to have any nipple/bottle confusion and is more than happy to have breast first over bottle so im not worried about that.
I express at 5am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm.
So im not going anymore than 2hrs without stimulation except overnight.

I have considered cutting out all bottles and formula and offernign breast every 2hrs (or sooner if she wants it). Keeping an eye on ehr wet nappies closely and top her up if they start to get less - but im a little nervous about it....

My partner is heading up to Brisbane tomorrow and will be picking up the double pump for me YAY.
So i will then have the option of bf every 3hrs and expressing an hr after feeding routine.

Not sure what is the best option to choose though :?

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

SammiW wrote:I just realised i worded that terribly.

Addison has feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7am and 11pm.
If she feeds well from me then i just top her up with 60ml of formula (or 60ml of EBM if i have it). She only just manages to finish the 60ml top up.
If she fusses on me too much i dont push her and ill add on the SNS so that she gets her formula or EBM topup and is happy to feed from me.
We are getting better and using the SNS less.
Addison doesnt seem to have any nipple/bottle confusion and is more than happy to have breast first over bottle so im not worried about that.
I express at 5am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm.
So im not going anymore than 2hrs without stimulation except overnight.

I have considered cutting out all bottles and formula and offernign breast every 2hrs (or sooner if she wants it). Keeping an eye on ehr wet nappies closely and top her up if they start to get less - but im a little nervous about it....

My partner is heading up to Brisbane tomorrow and will be picking up the double pump for me YAY.
So i will then have the option of bf every 3hrs and expressing an hr after feeding routine.

Not sure what is the best option to choose though :?
I can understand how dropping the bottles altogether would be difficult. It's a big jump. Perhaps dropping the top up for just one feed (say the 7am feed) and then offering further feeds in between 7am and 11am and see how you go would be something you could do. As things stand 5 feeds a day is not a lot for a little bub to have. If you drop top ups one at a time she will feed more often and perhaps that might be a way of weaning off teh SNS and the pump as well.
Karleen

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:37 pm

I think ive done it :shock:

On Thursday arvo we decided we were going away for Easter out to my parents. I took my pump and all other things bf with me but when we got there i thought i might just feed her 2hrly instead with no top ups and no expressing.

So since Thursday little miss hasnt had any formula or any bottles - 100% bf!!!

Im so happy - so proud! Its great! :D

I dont let her go any more than 2hrs between feeds at the moment but she is totall happy with that. Im waking her through often during the day for feeds so she must be content. Plenty of wet nappies and still very happy and settled.

Only issue we seem to have is she hasnt done a poo in a week now...
She doesnt appear to be in any pain and i know she could just be using everything up in my milk and there is no waste. Took her to clinic today and was told to offer her brown sugar in water :roll: I dont plan on follwing through with that but thought id ask for tips on here. Ive tried offering extra bf through the day but she just vomits....

In a fn she has gained 200g also and since fully bf she is still sleeping 11pm to 7am... She is having 9 bf through the day as a minimum but i will give whenever she wants it :D

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm

After 7 weeks it's been said on here that they can still poo 7 times a day or once every 7 days - or it can be longer than that and still fine for a fully bfed baby :D

Congrats Sammi, sounds like you're doing a fantastic job between the two of you :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 pm

:smt026 That news has brought a smile to my face!

Goooooo boobies!
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 am

FANTASTIC NEWS SAMMI!!!!

I'm soooooo happy and sooooo proud of you and A!!!!!!

I'm so glad it has worked out for you both!!! :D

Gooooo mummy boobies!!!! :D
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:59 am

You've done such an amazing job! Your update bought a tear to my eye - you must be so proud of what you've achieved. :smt041 Hope you'll stick around on the forum and let us know of your ongoing bfing adventures! :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:51 am

Fantastic!! I'm so happy for you. You deserve a big pat on the back- congratulations!
Karleen

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for everyones support through it all - i know we arnt fully there yet. Im still building a milk supply and will then have to wean off medications etc..
But yes very proud - especially of Addison. She has been a real little trooper through it all :D

I will be sticking around and will update on here every so often with how we are doing!

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Addison is struggling to feed every 2hrs...
She just isnt hungry or interested.
Im thinking of letting her go 2.5hrs between feeds if she wants to and seeing if thats enough.
Im worried my milk will suffer though..

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 pm

See how it goes. Keep an eye on wet and pooey nappies, that way you'll know if she's getting enough. Express if you're getting uncomfy, but maybe you can let her lead for half a day and see how you go?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

danigirl

Post by danigirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:47 pm

What an amazing story. I have been hooked reading it. You will have to think about writing an Essence article when you get to the other side of your journey.

Also - so impressed you managed to do this level of committment to the process whilst mothering a 2 year old too. Wow!

You shouldn't feel disappointed that Addision isn't keen to feed as much as you feel you should be feeding her - maybe she is just full, which is awesome! Expressing isn't really a good indication of how much milk is coming out directly.

I think Esther's suggestion to try following Addison's cues for the morning (and pump when you are worried about your supply) is great - but I'm sure it would be really stressful to start to move off clock watching when you have had to work so hard to build your supply.

Anyway, just wanted to say congratulations on how much you have achieved already.