Relactation at 10wks old HELP!!!

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
SammiW

Relactation at 10wks old HELP!!!

Post by SammiW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hi there ladies - im new to the ABA forum so forgive me if in not quite up to date on all the abbreviations yet!

My DD now 10wks old and i stopped bf at 2wks old after a rough start and not muc support.
DD is my 2nd bub - my first was sick and in NICU for a month. I expressed that whole time and went on to bf him for 8months.
This time around i had a few major PPH and ened up in ICU for 49hrs PP and needing 3 units of blood. That combined with a baby who IMO wasnt latching or sucking properly and fighting with nurses who were telling me she looked as though she was fine - i went home with cracked, sore and bleeding nipples.
I gave up at 2wks as crying in pain and frustration wasnt exactly ideal.
Im not satisfied with that! I want to bf again.

Ive got no milk supply at all and its been 8wks since bf.

Ive contacted ABA for e councelling.
Ive got an appt at my local health clinic to get some support and also find out if my area has a lactation consulatant (i dont believe they do).
Ive got Fenugreek tablets.
Ive got a Recipe for Lactation Cookies.
Ive got a diet thats good for bub and ive starting drinking truckloads of water.
Ive got great support from my partner and a few close friends but thats all im telling for now - i dont need others questioning my reasons.

Im just after some success stories and some tips from others that can help me on my way. :-)
Cooper 14/09/09 Addison 17/12/11
Perfect little pidgeon pair :)

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 am

Looks like you've taken lots of positive steps. Lots of low pressure opportunities to latch on seems to work best for encouraging them back to the breast. On the water - you don't need extreme amounts, drinking to thirst is generally fine for breastfeeding mothers. Keep us updated if you can.

Lilypad

Post by Lilypad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 am

Hi,
You could see your GP and get some prescription meds that should help with supply. I took them as my milk never 'came in', they gave me a boost especially taking them alongside fenugreek and blessed thistle. My experience is all with low supply, not re-lactating, so it may be off track, but lots of skin on skin is good, as is feeding as aften as is possible untill a supply builds up.
I'm not sure about how to restart though, I'm sure someone else will have ideas.
Good luck
:-)

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 pm

try and get bubs to suckle as often as they will....try in calm circumstances even if it's between feeds etc......just let your DD use you as a kind of dummy.
Try and express often too, this will help.

The rest you have plus what others have said!

I tried to get my DD back but she wasn't interested. But I had to try and relactate.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 pm

try and get bubs to suckle as often as they will....try in calm circumstances even if it's between feeds etc......just let your DD use you as a kind of dummy.
Try and express often too, this will help.

The rest you have plus what others have said!

I tried to get my DD back but she wasn't interested. But I had to try and relactate.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh dear - i just put in the longest update and it dissapeared on me :twisted:

So - im seeing the LC in Coffs Harbour on Tues and very excited about it.

We tried the SNS for 2 days but i gave up! Its the devil. We were both stressed and agitated when trying to use it. Im waiting until we see the LC to use it again and hopefully after that it will be a little easier. I could have kept going with it but thought that was the better option.

Im pumping every 2hrs with a 6hr break overnight. Im now getting 1ml with each pump YAY!! I was getting nothing at first so this is great. It makes me realise it will be a very long process though.

Addsion is having 4hrly feeds with formula and im using the Medela Calma teat. She has to latch on and suck like breast to get any milk. She is also starting to turn back into towards breast and fuss when not feed time - so i just let her and i put her on. She sucks fine and is hapopy too. She will feed off of me at least once in that 4hr period. bascially just letting her use me as a dummy to help encourage milk.

Im now taking a prescription drug from the GP and am still taking Fenugreek. Ive stopped with the Blessed Thissle - it was too many pills to take (im rubbish at trying to swallow pills).

The thing im finding the hardest now is trying to put her on breast when we are out... Im not at home so unable to pump in those times and i often go more than 2hrs in between..... Its not just going out for fun either - im more than happy to be a hamobody during this time. Its medical appts for my 2.5yo. Hes quite a sick boy and we are often at appts for him, in hosp with him and travelling to Brissy and back for him.

Im not getting along with my GP or Child Health Nurses - theyve never met anyone who has done this successfully and kind of see it as a game. They keep telling me i doubt it will work - but its great to try.... They kind of dash my hopes.

So any positive outcomes and anyone with tips on the SNS would be greatly appreciated right now.

Also bawled my little heart out the other day when i realised that it was the Lanolin Cream that was most of my trouble when i was still bf her. My nipples were having a severe reaction to them. Thats why noone could explain her "bad latch".

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Such exciting news! You're doing an amazing job. :smt041

I'm just about to crash for the night, but will pop back in tmrw with my experience of using the sns - DD and I used it for almost 5 months because of my low supply, so not a usual scenario, but might still have some useful tips. :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Sammi,
So good to hear from you again! Wow you have done a lot since the forum crashed! You ared oing GREAT!
Some ideas...the SNS is tricky to use, a very steep learning curve to start with but mums do get very good at using it and truly it becomes easy- hard to believe I know. There's some mums on here with loads of experience, I'll see if they will pop in a talk with you about it.
Now I can't remember from before...do you have a double electric pump??
Have you tried hand expressing? This is great for getting out small amounts of milk and it's something that you can do anywhere. When I was relactating and had to go out I would take a small tupperware container that held 50ml of so and it was easy to keep it in my pocket and express in the loo or in the car or whereever there was some degree of privacy. I'd suggest hand expressing after each pumping session is worthwhile. It's also helpful to many mums if they keep a record of how much they are expressing and do whatever is necessary to get a little more (even a ml of two) each day. It is amazing how quickly small increases can add up and there's a bit of a snowball effect that happens so things will speed up with time.

That's fabulous too that Addison is happy to suck for comfort. Re: bottles, the claims made by all manufacturers are marketing ones- none are anything much like breastfeeding- generally the more claims the more expensive! This info may or may not be of any use to you, but when you're relactating with Drs visits and pumps and supplementers and drugs etc it can be an expensive business

Oh and that is so wonderful that you've worked out what the initial problem was with the pain you experienced. It might not feel like it but it means that you've overcome the problem that led to weaning in the first place so theres no barrier there to you breastfeeding fully again. Honestly it may be bittersweet but it bodes well for the future.

You've got a lot on your plate. Have you got some friends around who understand? How about your partner? or family?

Hope this helps.
Karleen

Feather

Post by Feather » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi SammyW :-)

I've used a SNS extensively since my second daughter was born, she's 16mo now and we're still going. You're right, it can be a horrible thing to begin with but once you're past the learning curve it's like a third boob :lol:

How are you using it? As per the instructions? I would suggest watching some videos online if you're a visual learner (I am). Google Dr Jack Newman, there is a video on his website that shows how to use it without tape...inserting the line once bub is attached. This is how I've used it as I found it a lot easier in the early days to get her attached and calm first, then get the line in. It was fiddly when she was really little, we'd go through periods where I would have a hard time getting it in smoothly and then it would just work for a while. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is to try some different methods to find what works for you.

My personal method is to get the SNS ready and warmed then get comfortable and get bub attached. I then place it on my shoulder (under my bra strap if needed), release one tube to insert in her mouth. I hold it between my thumb and forefinger, lift the corner of her lip with my middle finger and insert it under the top gum while she sucks until I can feel the milk flowing (if bub will take it, having the milk cooler than body temp helps to feel this) on my nipple. That's also how I know it's in the right spot. Sometimes she sucks it down her throat a little so I just pull it up until I can feel milk on my nipple again. Not sure if that's the detail that you want/need? Once I was sure it was in properly and she was getting milk I would release the other tube to allow the milk to flow freely.

It sounds like you have a good routine. Teach yourself how to hand express, that way you can do it while you're out if need be. I would also suggest asking the LC (IBCLC??) about the prescription medication when you see her. There are a lot of galactogogues out there it's really just a matter of finding what works for you. There's a lot of info about them if you want to google a bit.

If you're comfortable with co-sleeping it could help encourage more skin to skin time and maybe eventually some sleepy suckling. Night feeding can be great for encouraging supply.

Please ask more questions here if you want to. Happy to help if and where I can. You're doing a great thing and a fantastic job!
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 am

^^^What Feather said! Kinda beat me to it... :lol:

As I mentioned, I used an sns with DD for about 5 months. I think it was largely responsible for us still breastfeeding - it meant lots of time at the breast, and that meant a few important things (which I reminded myself of when I got sick of the sns!):

1. DD was well-practised at breastfeeding!

2. We were very fortunate and didn't have nipple confusion or flow preference issues developing over time, in large part probably because DD's exposure to bottles was extremely limited - to her, milk (and comfort) mostly came from boobs. Sounds like Addison is happy to comfort suck, too, so that's a great thing!

3. I'm convinced that all that extra breast stimulation resulted in a steadily (if slowly) increasing supply.

As Feather said, using the sns does get easier, and eventually it's a pretty simple procedure. The first little while is definitely toughest, especially keeping those little flailing arms from getting tangled on the tubing, but you'll find a way that works for you and your LO. Our technique involved: Set up sns with milk; Get comfortable, get DD attached and happy; Tape or position sns tubing on one side while letting DD emptyopposite breast; Swap DD to other breast (the one with the sns), wait for let-down, release tubing. I also often had the milk just a little cool, so I could feel when it was flowing.

I combined the sns with other things, including breast compressions while feeding, co-sleeping/bed-sharing; expressing when possible; and taking galactagogues (prescription and herbal). All these must have had an effect, because we stopped supplementing DD at 7.5 months.

It's great that you're able to see an LC - they were fantastic for us in the early days, and helped us put together a plan of action. You deserve support and huge congratulations for doing what you're doing - so I hope you get that from the LC and from others around you. And you'll have a cheer squad here on the forum, too! :smt026

Best of luck, and let us know how you go. :)
Last edited by Gwen's Mum on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am

I can't help you on the practical side, but just wanted to say that doing this makes you a really awesome person! Best of luck and I totally believe you can do it.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:28 am

Hi to all,

Ive got the Medela Swing pump - its only single pump and i dont think i can add another onto it :(

I got the Medela Calma teat before Addison was born in case i had to give her a bottle here or there lol. I didnt go out and buy it specifically for this - its far from being like a nipple but i do like how she has to latch on and suck to get milk in return.

Ok so i might give the SNS another go today when my partner gets home from work. The one weve been given is from out Health Clinic and just some new tubing in it. I was planning on buying one but wanted to make sure we could use it properly before i did. This one looks a bit ancient. It has thick white robs to put over my neck and is rather uncomfy lol.
I think ill try it and attach a smaller Medela bottle to it - the bottle it has on it is large and gets a bit in the way. I cant squeezr the Medela bottle so i could just transfer the cap and tubing part back over to the squeeze bottle to flush the tubing once done...

Im not getting the let down of milk that i can feel yet so how long would you suggest i let her suck for before giving her the milk? I was just doing it until she got antzy and fussing then would let it flow.
She also seems to be getting alot - guzzling and whatnot... Its the very fine tubing and she only has 1 tube in and i keep the bottle at my nipple height.

Ohhh constantly getting caught up in the tubing and pulling it out of her moutch then screaming and crying etc lol.

Thanks for the vote of confidence - makes me feel alot better!!

Yes - GREAT support from my partner - our 2.5yo wakes with muscle and joint pains from around 1am onwards and my partner has been up doing the massage routine and giving panadol and warm packs when needed. He has been doing the entire breakfast routine with my 2.5yo and bathing both kids before he leaves for work at 9am (hes at work until 10pm at night).
Friends not so much - they support what im doing etc and i have them there to complain to or to be excited to but thats about it lol. They cant really help me with any of this as theyve never done it lol.

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 pm

SammiW wrote:Hi to all,

Ive got the Medela Swing pump - its only single pump and i dont think i can add another onto it :(

Im not getting the let down of milk that i can feel yet so how long would you suggest i let her suck for before giving her the milk? I was just doing it until she got antzy and fussing then would let it flow.
She also seems to be getting alot - guzzling and whatnot... Its the very fine tubing and she only has 1 tube in and i keep the bottle at my nipple height.

Yes - GREAT support from my partner - our 2.5yo wakes with muscle and joint pains from around 1am onwards and my partner has been up doing the massage routine and giving panadol and warm packs when needed. He has been doing the entire breakfast routine with my 2.5yo and bathing both kids before he leaves for work at 9am (hes at work until 10pm at night).
Hi Sammi,
The swing pump is really designed for light usage and might not cope with the frequency of pumping that you're doing. If you can afford it, it might be worth considering hiring a double electric pump. If there's not one available in your town the LC in Coffs will know where you can get one (if you decide that this is something that you want to do this I'd suggest that you give her a call beforehand so maybe part of her consult could be on helping you to use it). Double pumping can be really helpful in relactating because it makes it quicker and easier to pump (and it can be set up so that the pumping can be done hands free) but it also gives a higher spike of prolactin from the pumping which is really helpful in terms of building breast tissue because prolactin in the hormone that does this work in relactation.

Your strategy of letting your bub suckle until she shows signs of wanting milk to flow is really reasonable IMO. The thing to avoid is pushing things too hard and the baby then not wanting to suck at all. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Your partner sounds wonderful! What a great dad!

Karleen

SammiW

Post by SammiW » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Ohhhh thanks for that. Ill look into a double pump and its prices.

Cooper was in NICU when born and not on feeds for almost a month (unless i was using the hosp Medela double) - i expressed 2hrly (6hr break overnight) for that entire month and the Swing held up to that so im not too worried about that but if it will help my milk supply ill definitly look into a double.
Would you still recommend a Medela?

Im pro at using the double - spent so long in the hospital using it for Cooper lol.

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Sammi,
The smaller pumps can slowly use strength over time- the Swing might be fine for a while yet or not. Hard to tell. The difficulty is that suction can be lost really gradually and sometime women don't notice until there's a problem with their milk supply because the pump is not working right.
There's really only two brands of hospital grade pumps in Australia- Medela and Ameda. Either is fine. I've not used the Ameda pump personally so can't speak from personal experience but I really liked the Medela Symphony because it is so quiet!!!! Which can be important depending on your pumping environment- I liked to be able to talk on the phone when pumping!
Did you do a hands-free set up when you were pumping before?
Karleen