Attempting to relactate my beautiful boy.

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Attempting to relactate my beautiful boy.

Postby BecP77 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi I am considering/attempting to relactate my son who is now 11 weeks. Our last BF was 3 weeks ago and since changing to formula his weight gains have dropped significantly and he does not take any where near what GP has told us he should take in formula.

He does not seem to like the formula but will still search for the breast. We have had a lot of problems with breast and bottlefeeding with attachement and losing suction and sucking in air. Today he was diagnosed with tongue tie and we have been referred to a clinic to have it fixed.

Now I am wondering if my BF experience would be different without the tongue tie issue as I was always getting compression lines on my nipples and a lot of pain, I also had frequent blocked ducts (which I now realise might have been to do with the toungue tie causing problems) and I had a bought of mastitis as well. He would also slip off the breast and I would need to re-attach/latch him 3-4 times during each feed. I think that if he was able to latch on properly maybe things would be different.

Today I have offered the breast for the first time in three weeks and he happliy latched on (although still not well) and suckled for a few minutes at each breast. I realised I have really missed breastfeeding him and I think he has missed it too.

I am scared by the prospect of re-establishing my milk supply as I also have a 2 year old to look after and we are moving in 1.5 weeks. I would like information on how to go about re-establishing supply. I have started expressing and I still have milk there (I had oversupply trouble first time round).

Let me know your thoughts. I have a very supportive husband but have not shared with family yet.

Cheers Bec

Postby DellaWellaWoman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Both of mine have had tongue ties.

DD1 wasn't diagnosed until 8 months, and snipped at 10 months. I had ongoing nipple damage, and she always had low weight gains, but I was bloody minded and kept going.

DD2's TT was diagnosed pre-discharge (she was also premmie), and after it was snipped we had an almost textbook start to breastfeeding (the non-textbook bits were due to her being premmie).

So in my experience I'd say if you can get the TT snipped you'll have a great chance of bringing your DS back to the breast. If he's still interested that's a gigantic bonus - you don't have to do all/nothing, so given you're moving (not to mention how busy 2 year olds keep you!) maybe express if/when you can, and personally I'd try to offer the breast a couple of times a day just to make sure he stays interested.

I don't have any experience with relactating (if you've still got milk though that would be a big bonus), but something you might like to try (if you haven't already) is baby-led attachment - from what I've heard this can result in the best possible attachment as bub uses their instincts to attach - there's a great explanation/description at ... attachment

Good luck, and let us know how you go!
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

Postby AussieBritLu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Way to go you!

I tried to get my DD back to the breast but she just wasn't interested.

For me, I had to try and establish my supply as it never really established, but I used Fenugreek and I got a prescription......(name isn't allowed on here), it definately helped increase my supply again...after a few days.

Expressing or getting bubs to suck as often as possible also helps to increase....and don't worry if you can only express a small amount.....doesn't necessarily mean you have a low supply......etc.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.
Community Educator

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm quite sure he will attach very differently once they free his tongue. I hope you can get that fixed very soon.

Did the doctor give you any medication to 'dry up' your milk ? I have a friend who took the medication, but her supply bounced back when she changed her mind and stopped taking the tablets...

I think persistence is the key, and I don't know how much milk you were trying to get him to take, but there is a very big window of 'normal' (I think the range off the top of my head can be between 700mL and 1200mL per day...)....

Personally, I'd think that breastfeeding direct is actually less hassle (when it is going well) than bottle-feeding...and my only advice with moving is to find the money and pay professionals to move your stuff....we moved house many times (and helped others move too, many times)...and the last three times we moved I've used professionals and it's so much easier!

I definitely recommend phoning the breastfeeding helpline to talk through what has happened so far, and to make an 'action plan' - the breastfeeding counsellor won't just say 'just do this' - they should give you some options so that you are empowered to make your own decision.

As to family opinion - it's really not important what they say/think - just assume that they well-intentioned, what ever their opinion - and go on with doing what you want to do...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Postby BecP77 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info and advice a lot has happen since my first post and we are underway.

I have not been able to get my DS to latch on so far he has held the breast in his mouth but does not really suck unless he is half asleep. I have contacted my local ABA coordinator and hired a Medela Lactina double pump. I also have obtained a Medela SNS and will be in touch with an IBCLC to make and appointment to learn how to use this. I'm a bit worried about trying it on my own.

I started pumping on Saturday and got 5 ml in the whole day but today I got 35 ml so things are increasing. I also am taking Fenugreek and have a prescription med from my GP who was very supportive but did not know much about relactation. I am finding that pumping can be difficult with a very curious 2 year old to entertain as well but we are getting there.

I really want to try the SNS if I can get DS to latch as I know this will increase my supply faster than just pumping.

I will be back to update soon. Any more tips will be helpful especially with the SNS.

Postby BecP77 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Make that 40 ml today I know it doesn't seem like a lot but that is an increase of 12 ml from yesterday and I'm excited to see even little increases. Measuring and seeing the difference when the amounts are small is helpful and spurs me on.

Postby Andypandy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 pm

That is brilliant. Well done!
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Postby fellare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 pm

good on you! :D
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding