About to begin the reattachment journey, tips?

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Postby ambarforbes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 pm

So reading back on what i wrote this morning wow i guess i kinda had a break down, i had a shower just after that and whilst in the shower tears running down my face something hit me THIS ISN'T THE END IM NOT GIVING UP !
So while she has only attached 4 times since 2:30 this morning which isnt great but i have expressed twice not getting much out. She is staying attached for a bit longer each time. She went on at around 11:50 and spent 50-60mins combined both boobs she had a short nap (20mins) and woke for a she then had 100mls and had an awesome arvo nap, i expressed about 4:15 only getting 20mls feeling a little deflated i though when she woke to not expect much because she woke about 4:45 but she latched on for about half hour both boobs combined she got a bit cranky so she had a bath and 60mls of formula and is now asleep.
I can't wait for her to wake for her next feed <3
Mummy to Colin age 4, Bently age 18months & Ashlynn age 4 weeks :)
ambarforbes

Postby Little Tiggermum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

meh its a roller coaster ride this relactation thing... we said we'd be your cheer squad and now you have definite proof.
:-D
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Wow, just found this! Welcome and congratulations on your 3rd baby!
You've done an awesome job so far. Sometimes I think those crying sessions in the shower are what gave me the strength to keep feeding when it was hard in the early days/weeks.
Good on you for trying, with 2 other kids it must be hard!
We're all here to cheer you on, and send you a few hugs when you need them!
Hope tonight goes well!
3 Little Woody's

Postby ames » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:12 pm

You are doing a wonderful job.

Well done!
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!
ames

Postby mooki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 pm

:smt026 :smt041 :smt026 :smt026 :smt041
mooki
Site Admin

Postby ambarforbes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:27 pm

So i've decided the way we are gonna make it through this is day by day i wanna enjoy every feed we have because i don't know if we are still gonna be feeding in a few months so my plan is to savour each moment ive even gone as far as to take a pic of her breastfeeding in the morning and set it as my phone wall paper for the day, i can have hopes & goals but at the end of the day each day we feed together is a gift :D we had a ruff night not much sleep had here, Ashlynn was quite unsettled im grateful my partner gave me a few hours sleep he has been so supportive xoxo

We are slowly latching for longer we have gone from just minutes to 30-40 sometimes even 50-60mins breastfeeding sessions 99% of the time both boobs & while we are still averaging 350-450mls of formula a day i guess its a change from the 600-800 she was having (150-200 of that being ebm).

I have just about given up even the thought of expressing i just don't have time when she isn't on the boob and even though we are only having 6-8 sessions a day its time consuming say we feed for 60mins then she may want a top up which could take 30mins+ change her burp her get her to sleep we are almost ready for the next feed and due to my bad habits she will not sleep in her bed rarely i can put her in my bed & i may be able to multitask sometimes but holding my princess and expressing=impossible lol

Thats where we are at, we had a pretty got feed session after her bath that started at 7:10 finished about 7:40-7:50 had a 20-30ml formula top up and off to sleep she went she is laying right beside me as i type this im about to catch some zZzZ's while my partner, eldest son, 3 nephews & 1 neice play xbox or whatever they are doing-Ashlynn & i don't care lol
ambarforbes

Postby Gwen's Mum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Wow, what an amazing journey you're on! And what a lucky bubba Ashlynn is. :) All that time with your LO at the breast will be doing great things for your supply - you might still find that eventually you won't need to top-up at all. But as you say, just take it day by day, and enjoy every feed. And be proud of how far you've come already! We're all here cheering you on. :smt026 :D

(And yay for supportive partners, too! :) )
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby Karleen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

You are doing fabulously! Honestly. And pumping is really over rated in relactation if your baby is happy to breastfeed (and you can always hand express if you want). Feeding as much as you can and slowly decreasing supplementation is the way to go. If you want to talk on the ph you are welcome to PM me and I'll give you my number.
Karleen
Karleen

Postby ambarforbes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:55 pm

So its been a while since an update, we don't seem to really have progresse any she is still topping up after almost everyfeed sometimes even a full bottle but i know she is getting a bit from me when i feel the let down or i just hear her gulping. I'm still enjoying what breastfeeding time we are having even though most days its only 5-7 latches i think our main problem is because she is having the bottle afterwards its filling her up for longer so she isnt wanting as many latches although i am happy to say sometimes when she is really cranky and all possibilites exhausted (nappy, wind, hungry) she will latch on for comfort & its amazing to just spend that time with her.
The midwife i seen last week said she had only put on 90grams that week sO i need to go back and check again and apparently if she hasn't gained between 120-150 this week she wants me to up her formula but to me that seems stupid because it will mean longer between feeds from me=less milk?! Yet she is in the 75th percentile for her age?!
ambarforbes

Update

Postby Denell90 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi, interested to see how u are going, planning to feed my 11 week old again after 8 weeks of not
Denell90

Postby ambarforbes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Sadly our journey ended 12 weeks after starting the re attachment :-( it was hard but am very grateful for the 12 weeks of brestfeeding we got & the 16week total breastmilk she received. I tried just about all i could herbs, teas, expressing etc. Nothing increased my supply unfortunately & she still required a whole bottle after a feed from me. I wish i had tried a sns feeder although i don't think it would of helped, i may just be one of those that don't get enough milk. Sometimes the thought crosses my mind & i would love to tru again even with her being 11months old but i don't have the support network sadly.
I was lucky enough that after 4 weeks of not breastfeeding she latched straight away & we had no issues with attachment only
supply. I found baths were great, water skin on skin lots of booby time.

Every part of me is hoping your reattachment journey goes smoothly & your little one feeds for many months/years to come. I would just about give my left arm (or right lol) to be able to feed my daughter. Would love to stay updated on your journey :-)
ambarforbes

Previous

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding