About to begin the reattachment journey, tips?

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Postby Gwen's Mum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am

Wow - I've just seen this. Congratulations! I'll be on your cheer squad, too! :-D :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Re. your question about expressing if your LO is feeding frequently - maybe a question for a counsellor? But in my experience, if you've got a very frequent feeder who's well-attached and is draining the breast well, then additional expressing isn't always needed to re-establish supply. If attached and sucking well, the baby is generally better than any pump!

(I had supply issues, but a very frequent feeder with an excellent latch - so pumping was nigh-on impossible to fit in most of the time. Up to about 3 months, I did breast compressions and some hand expressing after a feed for 5-10 minutes, but certainly didn't get much 'output'. After that, I generally only did it of a night-time when DD starting sleeping for a 4 hour stint.)

HTH! :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby ambarforbes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 am

Got my breastfeeding support tablets from the health shop (fenugreek & blessed thistle combined) and got my LC appt in 3 hrs thanks to a cancellation =D feeling great xx
Mummy to Colin age 4, Bently age 18months & Ashlynn age 4 weeks :)
ambarforbes

Postby ambarforbes » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 am

So my LC appt went awesome, she said Ashlynn & I are doing everything right & she was surprised how well Ashlynn attaches & how much progress we have made already in just two days. We have a plan now to try & reach our goal to ditch the bottles.
The one thing she did say was Ashlynn may always need a bottle of an afternoon which put a damper on things but ultimately of i can provide all feeds and she only needs a top up once a day i won't complain but right now we are focusing on babysteps. I fed her this morning at 4:30 and she had a top up of 50mls ebm then i fed her about an hour ago and she was latched for a total of about 45mins we did try switching breasts after 20mins but she cracked it so we went back to the original on and she put her self to sleep. Tried laying her down it lasted 10 mins lol She is currently back on now the boob she wouldnt take earlier, is this too short a time between feeds? She is kinda only comfort sucking atm (i think)
ambarforbes

Postby mooki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 am

ambarforbes wrote:The one thing she did say was Ashlynn may always need a bottle of an afternoon

Why? If eventuallyy youre able to get her fully feeding from the breast, you wont always need to top up. I wouldnt think so anyway.

Comfort sucking is great for your supply :wink:
(they just tend to want to comfort suck at the most innappropriate times, like when you need the toilet or something. Maybe that was just my DD... :lol:

Honestly because you are working on getting her back to the breast as much as possible. I really wouldnt worry how soon is too soon. The sooner the better!
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm glad that things are going in the right direction for you.

I also wonder why she said your DD might always need a bottle. Did she give a reason for that? Either way it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

Please don't worry about 'too many' updates. We love reading them, promise! :-D
Penguin

Postby mummysairsair » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:32 am

Sounds like you are doing a great job at getting back to breastfeeding.. Go mummy go!

At this stage while you are building up supply and bub is perfecting her latch and getting settled at the breast, I would think that any and all time at the breast is highly beneficial (comfort feeding or otherwise!) if bub even looks at you sideways, whack her on.. There's plenty of time to slow down the feeds later when she is 100% breastfeeding :wink:

Keep up the good work, I know it's exhausting but you are doing great! :)
Patience.. It's what parents have when there are witnesses ;)
mummysairsair

Postby Ruth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 am

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job! Yea!
Ruth

Postby ambarforbes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 am

Feeling a little emotionally broken :( our journey started so awesome and i had so much hope but she seems to want me less and less and even when she is taking me she is still having a full bottle after.
Who was i kidding to think it would be easier to accept we failed if ee tried everything we could, it sucks that now i just don't think it's gonna happen she has become so irritable, she just screams, she isn't sleeping pretty much at all during the day so i know she is over tired.
I wanted it so bad and hve been crying all morning when i think about not feeding her, why?!?! Why me?!?! Why out of 3 babies the last 5weeks is about as good as its gonna get in regards to feeding her :'( i hate this.
ambarforbes

Postby Little Tiggermum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:49 pm

*hugs* breastfeeding is so intwined with our emotions.
your journey may not be over. I've known adopted kids to breastfeed from their mothers, and these "babies" were over a year old already. you can call a counsellor and just debrief with us.
Basically any time at the breast is good, and in a way an irritable baby is good because she's got the energy to demand. how would you feel if you gave 30 mls of bottle first to take the edge off the hunger and then breastfed her... or even gave the bottle while she's skin to skin. you may be going too fast with dropping the bottle feeds, or she may not like whatever is in that herbal mix. Also night feeds are always good for boosting the supply. Remember you can call us at any time and we can make suggestions and provide verbal hugs whatever you need at the time. !@~@~!group hug
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby ambarforbes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm

So reading back on what i wrote this morning wow i guess i kinda had a break down, i had a shower just after that and whilst in the shower tears running down my face something hit me THIS ISN'T THE END IM NOT GIVING UP !
So while she has only attached 4 times since 2:30 this morning which isnt great but i have expressed twice not getting much out. She is staying attached for a bit longer each time. She went on at around 11:50 and spent 50-60mins combined both boobs she had a short nap (20mins) and woke for a she then had 100mls and had an awesome arvo nap, i expressed about 4:15 only getting 20mls feeling a little deflated i though when she woke to not expect much because she woke about 4:45 but she latched on for about half hour both boobs combined she got a bit cranky so she had a bath and 60mls of formula and is now asleep.
I can't wait for her to wake for her next feed <3
ambarforbes

Postby Lilypad » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Just here to cheer you on. You're doing a fabulous job!
Lilypad

Postby ~WildChild~ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Lilypad wrote:Just here to cheer you on. You're doing a fabulous job!

I totally agree xx
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe
~WildChild~

Postby Andypandy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 pm

You are doing so well. I really admire your persistence.
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015
Andypandy

Postby Penguin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm

You're doing a great job. You've had so many hurdles, it's great that you're still trying. Many women have had issues in the beginning and have gone on to feed their babies for many months or years, so keep that in mind. If it doesn't work out, like you said you will know that you have tried your best and by the sound of it that's imporant to you.

I'm not a counsellor (so I don't really know what I'm talking about so please ignore me if this is a bad idea) but have you heard of a nursing supplementer? I've never used one and I'm not sure if it would suit you, but basically it's a bottle which you hang around your neck (full of formula or EBM, whatever you're supplementing with). The bottle is attached to a thin piece of tube which you tape to your breast. When the baby attaches she sucks and gets milk from your breast and from the supplementer. It means that even if you have no milk at all, the baby still learns that sucking at breast = milk, and it also means that your nipples are being stimulated instead of the bottle teat, therefore sending the signal to your body to make more milk.

Have you called or emailled the helpline? They will be able to tell you if this would suit your situation. Good luck, you're doing an amazing job!
Penguin

Postby Karleen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey there,
Sounds like you're doing wonderfully. Just wanted to pop in to say that the most important thing at this stage is to encourage breastfeeding but to make sure that breastfeeding is something that is enjoyable for your baby. Avoid pressure or trying to keep the baby at the breast beyond what she wants. Pressure is a sure fire way of creating an aversion to the breast!! You're doing wonderfully!
Karleen
Karleen

PreviousNext

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding