About to begin the reattachment journey, tips?

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
ambarforbes

About to begin the reattachment journey, tips?

Post by ambarforbes » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:23 pm

My daughter Ashlynn is 4 weeks old, about half way through my pregnancy i had decided i was determined to breastfeed whatever it took. Day 2 my nipples were already so damaged and i couldnt understand why as when i had the pead check attachment and a midwife both said it was great. End of day 2 i couldnt take the pain, i gave in and got my partner to buy formula so i could have a break. I felt like a failure, much to my surprise on day 3 we went for a check up found out she had a tounge tie & it was snipped i raced out & bought a breastpump & began expressing in hopes of reattaching. At 8 days old we went to the drop in clinic and i have shared my plans with the midwife who did nothing but discourage me by saying things like "i doubt it will work" i went home saddened that i thought there way hope & now if felt like there wasn't. A couple of days later still emotional about what was said planned on giving i expressing but the thought made me cry and i decided if all i could give her was/is the 150-200mls i manage to express a day im happy with that. After much consideration something hit me the other night "you can do it, its gonna be hard but worth it" so now im writting in hopes someone will share there experiances and give me some extra hope???
I am taking mottilum (sp?) expressing every few hours and plan on getting some ferngreek (sp?) to try boost supply as we still only average 200-250mls on a good day.
Mummy to Colin age 4, Bently age 18months & Ashlynn age 4 weeks :)

Lilypad

Post by Lilypad » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 am

Hi,
Not much advice here. Wanted to wish you lots of luck and suggest if you haven't already, try calling a councellor. The number is in the top right hand corner of the screen. They are super helpful and should have some advice for you.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:19 am

just remember that if she still attaches then you're halfway there. and that babies can drain the breast better than a pump. also you can do top up feeds at the breast... breasts never stop completely, we're always making milk so even 5/10 min after a feed there's a little bit. generally 20mins after a feed the breast is about 80% fill again... and the more milk you take out the more you'll make.
all in all well done!!! for getting this far and making this decision and getting yourself the tools to relactate. and *any* progress is progress no matter how small. two steps forward and one step back is still one step progress per day... so even one step forward two steps back followed by two step forward is an improvement (as told to me by my horse trainer... who wazs talking about horses but I think the adage applies here too :-D )
oh and post here often so we can cheer and support you :wink:
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

No advice but wanted to say I am on your cheer squad.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Ruth

Post by Ruth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 am

You can do it! Boo to the silly people who said you can't. You CAN do it! Good luck

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am

You can do it!!!!! And I am so thrilled for you that you want to try! All the best! If possible try lots of bra off shirt off time just sitting and lying with your bub ( even if you have to lay on a towel) Don't be afraid to feed bub off to sleep any breast contact is good breast contact! If bub is currently using a dummy try using your boob instead (you can always give it back when bub is fully breastfed)

Just my 5 cents worth :) I'm not an expert just a BF mummy :-D
******Mummy of Mr 4 and Miss E******
No longer feeding, her choice. You can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make it drink !

ambarforbes

Post by ambarforbes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

So already feeling super happy :D
This morning i sucked it up and tried while she was stirring she mouthed around a bit but attached and sucked a few time so hard some more a comfort type thing, its amazing there was nO pain, when i tried with my first constant pain so much that i was left so emotionally scarred because i felt like i failed him that i didn't attempt to breastfeed my 2nd hence my determination for my 3rd and final little princess.
She has attached a couple of days so far today though only brief (1-2mins) each time, im hopeful i tried expressing after her on/off attempts and only got 10-15mls usually average 30-50mls so im taking it as a sign she was taking from me? :s. Time to ring and book my appt for the LC, will keep posting with updates :)

ambarforbes

Post by ambarforbes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 am

Bundy wrote:You can do it!!!!! And I am so thrilled for you that you want to try! All the best! If possible try lots of bra off shirt off time just sitting and lying with your bub ( even if you have to lay on a towel) Don't be afraid to feed bub off to sleep any breast contact is good breast contact! If bub is currently using a dummy try using your boob instead (you can always give it back when bub is fully breastfed)

Just my 5 cents worth :) I'm not an expert just a BF mummy :-D
I had actually thought about this and when she stirs i put her on and sometimes she will just lightly suck and fall back asleep :D which i thought would still be good contact and stimulation, trying to avoid the dummy as much as possible although i did give in before so i could go to the toilet lol
Thanks ladies xx

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 am

On my phone at the mo but will come back later when on my laptop, just wanted to be a part if your cheer squad!

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey!

I attempted to re-breastfeed my DD......unfortunately I wasn't successful because my DD wasn't interested......she'd get too stressed out, so if your DD is going for it...then keep on it! It is EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming but just perservere because it WILL be SO worth it if you can get her back! Try and make sure you offer her the breast first each time....have as much skin2skin and relaxing together!

I wish you all the best in your BF'ing journey and hope and pray that you succeed :D
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

ambarforbes

Post by ambarforbes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Wow, it's so much more enjoyable when not in pain, she attached numerous times today and had mainly breastmilk bottles after until 3:30pm when i ran out of ebm. Plus while she was attached a few times i heard gulping/swallowing only for a little then she still suckled away she got a bit cranky last attempt after a while we switched breasts then a few mins later she was cranky so we finished with 25-30ml of formula.
Didn't get a chance to ring LC today as i expected Ashlynn was quite demanding and wanted cuddles all day barely had time to toilet, lunch was a one handed experiance (meal times usually are) we had a fantastic day i didn't worry about the housework DS was extra helpful with his baby brother & getting nappies, helping tidy up everything here was so calm which is rare.
I'm so proud of my princess <3 & excited to be taking this journey, looking forward to making more and more progress as the days/weeks pass by :D

ames

Post by ames » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Yay! Well done :-) I'll be part of your cheer squad too.
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! Go Ashlynn's Mummy! :D :smt054 :smt041 \:D/ ~!~! !~@~@!~fly by nursing !!@!booby !!@!booby !!@!booby !!@!booby

(My cheer squad contribution. Hope things go well tomorrow!)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Any breastmilk she recieves is great! Even if its minimal.

Also every time she attatches and sucks, your body will get the signal to make more milk, so keep doing what youre doing. baby steps :-D

If possible, spend a few days/a week trying to concentrate on skin to skin and attatching her as often as you can. doesnt matter if its 10/20 minutes after a feed. I know you have 2 other children so maybe sitting with them and playing on the floor while bubs is practising attatching or something? Or just letting the housework go to pot for a week :lol: It will still be there later.

Please keep us posted on how youre going and use us for as much support as you need.
:smt041

ambarforbes

Post by ambarforbes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 am

I'll apologise now for the overload of updates but the few friends i have are sll still partying kidless so its nice to have a place to express & talk about Ashlynns' n & i journey.

So had a little boobie monster on my hands this morning from about 12:30am-5am we were attaching every 1/2-1hour, no chance to express but do i really need to if she is attaching often?
I have just given her a formula bottle as she was getting cranky on the boob but she only had about 50-60mls & chucked a fair amoUnt of that up.