Still really wanting to breastfeed...

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Still really wanting to breastfeed...

Postby Sunbuny » Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi everyone

Trying this forum hoping to get some suggestions because I feel like I'm startig to go crazy...

I always planned on breastfeeding and did not realise how hard it could be. In the first days in the hospital my nipples began to blister and each time he went on I was in pain (no surprise to anybody I'm sure)... also he would fall asleep each time he got on so that during the night I was continously waking up to feed him. This is an issue for me because I have epilepsy which is bought on by sleep deprivation. The hospital was fantastic but due to sleep issues suggested that I formula feed during the night. It went down hill from there. Because of the nipple pain I started expressing and he was fully expressed fed during the day up till approximately 4 weeks. My milk dwindled:( A friend suggested I try fenugreek which seemed to help with my supply.

I went to see my neurologist who advised that I should perhaps consider not breastfeeding because of my meds and that he was unsure of any affects it may have on my baby. I gave up at that stage and that was 3 weeks ago.

Another friend suggested that I contact Mothersafe which I did. They advised me that the medication and dose that I'm on would not have any affect on my baby.

Knowing this I really want to breastfeed again but he is purely formula fed now. I still have milk but only a small supply (like a few drops). I'm taking fenugreek (9 capsules per day). I try putting him on but when he is hungry he just gets frustrated. When he is not hungry he is so comforted that he falls asleep.

For the past few days I have tried to pump regularly and put him to my breast (except at night because I'm still unable to wake regulary) but supply does not seem to be increasing.

Would a supplementar help? Has anybody has success with one of these?

I forgot to mention that my son is 7 1/2 weeks old.
Sunbuny

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Sunbuny

I'm glad you found us. If you want to talk to a counsellor in person you could call 1800 686 2 68 or cut and paste your post into an email and click on the link in the top right hand corner of the page.

Relactation will be hard work but a counsellor can help you get started and talk you through some ideas for how to go about it.

All the best
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby LiamsMamma » Mon May 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Just want to wish you luck on your journey.
Kylie
LiamsMamma

Postby Nordicbabe » Mon May 02, 2011 4:16 pm

May I just say, what ever happens, to have the comfort of your breast to make him sleep is still very valuable :-) and is helping to stimulate milk supply as well :)

Maybe (and I'm by no means an expert) offering the breast when he is not ravenous will encourage him more? Say starting with a bottle offering the breast in the middle and finish with a bottle if necessary ? Just a thought anyway good luck !
Ds1 2001
Ds2 2007
Nordicbabe

Postby Sunbuny » Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks everyone... I've been expressing like mad and have tried what Nordicbabe has suggested... he latched on for a bit before getting angry but I'll keep on perservering... I've decided to give it 2 weeks... hopefully I'll get somewhere in that time - fingers crossed
Sunbuny

Postby ngyuntju » Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 pm

No advice from me but I just wanted to say good luck, I hope you are happy with the result.
DS - December 2009
DD - January 2012

WHITE RIBBON!
ngyuntju

Postby FiveInTheBed » Mon May 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Good luck on your journey. X
There will be Five in the bed in September!
FiveInTheBed

Postby Ronale » Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Good luck :D
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby Feather » Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi, sounds like you've had a tough journey so far but you did so well to get to four weeks. :-)

Just wanted to share a little bit of my experience with you. I use a SNS (supplemental feeder) full time for reasons different to yours. It can be done but it takes practice. If you do decide to try it, give it time.

See if you can get in touch with an IBCLC to help you get started. They have protocols and can help you work out a plan. As your supply increases, you decrease the amount of supplement offered.

Search engine 'galactogogues' too, there are a lot of simple foods that can give your supply a boost, as well as herbal medications. I wouldn't recommended taking anything without consulting your GP first though to ensure it's safe with your current medication.

Definitely get in touch with a counsellor, via phone or email. Surround yourself with support, it is so important. Look after yourself too. Hang out here, we would love to listen and support you through it.
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13
Feather

Postby Monicat » Mon May 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Best of luck with your journey. I think it may take longer than 2 weeks for your bub to go back to breastfeeding though. If it were me I would try laying him on you with lots of skin to skin contact, he may try to attach himself, and I would encourage him if he did to suck for as long as he is happy to.

This is my friends blog, she relactated with her son, so you can read about her journey here http://journeytobliss-trudie.blogspot.c ... elactating

Best of luck with it, and I'm sorry you didn't get the right information about breastfeeding and the medication you were on in the first place.
Monicat

Postby Sunbuny » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey all again.. I'm still working on it today & boy do I feel tired:( cud that be because of the breastfeeding& pumping? Also baby is more unsettled unless I put him on me.. I'm not sure what he is getting& how much to supplement..
Sunbuny

Postby Sunbuny » Tue May 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Hey all again.. I'm still working on it today & boy do I feel tired:( cud that be because of the breastfeeding& pumping? Also baby is more unsettled unless I put him on me.. I'm not sure what he is getting& how much to supplement..
Sunbuny

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding