My quest to relactate

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
Summum

My quest to relactate

Post by Summum » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 pm

After having completely stopped breastfeeding my daughter at six weeks, I have decided to start again. I stopped due to struggling with feeding eight times a day for an average of an hour at a time. I felt like I was constantly holding/feeding/burping my DD, and was very depressed and emotional.

I felt guilty at first, even though she took to the bottle well. Then just this past week I really missed breastfeeding her. Like REALLY missed it, so I decided why not give it a go?

I was at the stage where nothing would come out when I squeezed - but I never really had an oversupply when I was completely breastfeeding so it hasn't surprised me really.

So today we have bf for 10 mins each side before feeding her formula when she begins to fuss. I am so lucky that she will still bf. What a great little girl she is. So that means a total of 2.30am feed, 7am feed, 9am express (got about 3ml total), 11am feed, 1pm express (5ml total), 3pm feed, 5pm express (5ml total), 6.30pm feed so far. She is definitely taking less formula than she would normally. But I'm not sure how much less I should be offering her?

At this stage I think I am too exhausted to be expressing two hourly overnight but I will continue to express while I am awake (so that would mean again tonight at 8.30pm then dreamfeed at 10.30pm). Does this sound like it will be enough?

When she feeds she doesn't seem to be swallowing much at all - so that is a bit of a concern!

My nipples are starting to get a little sore but not unbearable. Unfortunately I don't really have any support for this. DH is happy that I am trying again although doesn't really understand how much of an undertaking this will be. My family think I'm crazy for trying again as my bubba is a very happy baby without it.

I have started taking fenugreek - I'm slowly building it up. Starting at 1 capsule three times per day. I just want to make sure that DD doesn't have a reaction to it. I'm not ready to start with meds from the doctor as yet, but I certainly won't rule it out. Would it be better to just get a script and start with it now? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

I know this is a lot of questions - some of it is just for my sake so I can write all of this down. Each feed I do is something worth being proud of I guess, and I need to remind myself of that. I would LOVE to be able to get back to just completely breastfeeding (which I haven't done since my daughter was 3 weeks old).

I wonder how long it will take.

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Hello,

Wow, what an amzing decision!

On my ph, so excuse brevity. You might like to email a counsellor? You could just copy your post & paste it into the counselling query box. Link is in the top right hand corner of each page. A counsellor could go through the situatuon with you & help you work out a plan.

Also, you may like to look at this site

www.lowmilksupply.org

And also, feel free to consider us your personal cheer squad :)

Good luck!

Esther
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I have no experience with relactating personally but just wanted to say good on you for doing what feels right for you and your bub.

I think any amount of her sucking at the breast would be helping to stimulate your supply so that is definitely a step in the right direction.

Mods hope it is ok to post this - it a link to a friends blog who has successfully relactated with her son after about 6 months of bottle feeding and is now a proud tandem feeding mum of 2 :D (I have her permission to share this - if you click relactating on the sidebar you will be able to read all about her journey)

Best of luck with yours :)

ETA - Link http://journeytobliss-trudie.blogspot.com/

Feather

Post by Feather » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Welcome! What a huge and brave decision. It sounds like you're off to a good start and I admire you for doing it :D

You might have had a look around the forum for other stories of relactation. It might be worth seeing your local health nurse? They might be able to refer you to a lactation consultant who could help you with a plan.

There is a breastfeeding aid called a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) that can help you supplement milk at the breast, encouraging bf'ing and stimulating milk production by allowing baby to drink at the breast after it has been emptied. These should be used under instruction of an IBCLC and aren't for everyone, but could be an option for you.

Good luck on your journey and please keep us updated with how you go.
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

foggylog

Post by foggylog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 pm

how are you going on your journey?
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing